SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hi Ho Silver!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi Ho Silver!! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You don't really have time to say "oh shit." You either react instinctively or you don"t. I only remember one Arab stallion who wanted to go back home. He reared once. The second time he went higher. The third time was still higher and he went over backwards but I fell clear. I never rode him again.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
One of the horses my wife and daughter has in for training is having issues rearing.

I dunno, it seems to be doing a pretty good job of it. Razz

OK, seriously, is controlled rearing on command part of the routine, or is it never supposed to?

Big Grin No, the horse should not be rearing. It can be taught as a 'trick', like the Lone Ranger or for movies, but it's a bad habit for a horse to pick up. She's pretty fancy when she's not rearing Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
No easy feat, girl has skills. Well done youngster
^^^This.

Growing up I've been in that same situation a couple times on other people's horses, but with varying success as to the outcome Razz.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Only ever been on a rearing horse once (great horse, not his fault). He started life as a working cow horse, snaffle bit futurity, hackamore maturity, then I got him. Initially, he was a handful for me as a young teenager, but I got better and he learned to pack someone who wasn’t a trainer.

I was going to be showing in pleasure and equitation classes as well as stock horse classes, and he was great except he had a habit of bobbing his head at the lope. The trainer had a brainstorm to braid his forelock and tie a truck lug nut to it. The theory was that when he bobbed it would whack him and this would cure him of bobbing. Yeah, not so much. I don’t remember if we got halfway around the arena or a quarter before he stopped dead and reared. It felt like straight up, and I thought we were going over. I kicked the right stirrup, swung that leg around, and was standing on my left leg with my right hand on the horn waiting to see if I was bailing completely and kicking off or swinging back on. He came back down on all four, I swung back on, the trainer hustled over and pulled the lug nut and that was the end of that foolishness.

He was a great horse for a several years. We got in some spots digging cattle out of draws, but we trusted each other and worked it out.

I still remember a couple of incidents at shows:

Not to long after I started showing him in working cow horse classes (dry pattern, then take a cow down the fence), we were in Temecula and on the first turn on the fence he came off the fence quick enough that he knocked the cow down. He stood there and looked at the cow, I sat there and looked at the cow, and the cow just laid there, like it was thinking, “Screw you, I’m not playing anymore.” After half a beat, I piled off, twisted the cow’s tail over his back and he jumped up and took off. I grabbed the horn, swung on, and off we went, with me fishing for stirrups as we went down the fence.

One of the last shows before I sold him and went off to college was the Santa Barbara Fiesta. I was one of the last, if not the last, to go in a working cow horse class. Immediately after all of us went in for the lineup/awards, I came out, piled off, jerked the stirrups all the way up, and sent an eight year old kid in on him for an equitation class. He packed that kid like that was all he had to do all day, no drama. Good times!

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post