SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hi Ho Silver!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi Ho Silver!! Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
One of the horses my wife and daughter has in for training is having issues rearing. Here's my daughter playing the Lone Ranger Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Neat!!! Looks like she is have a lot of fun.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Because I am aware of the discipline required to pull that off (w/o falling), I applaud here.

That is a GREAT pic!!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to wrap my arms around the neck when they do that. The big danger is pulling them over backwards. When they do that, be sure to fall clear.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful horse! Looks like some Arabian in there!

I’d be on the ground!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a very bad habit for a horse to get into, and can be a tough habit to break.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
The only thing I know about horses is from cowboy movies. But I think that is neat. Hope she continues to enjoy riding!

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
That's pretty impressive. The only "rearing" for me in that situation would be ending up on it.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the horses my wife and daughter has in for training is having issues rearing.

I dunno, it seems to be doing a pretty good job of it. Razz

OK, seriously, is controlled rearing on command part of the routine, or is it never supposed to?

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The cowboy way would be to “sack him out.” What does the flat saddle crowd do about a bad habit like this?

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
City-boy checking in. Actually I took riding lessons at Ft Sam Houston around age twelve but never heard that phrase.

Does that mean to kill or to knock it out? Fairly dangerous habit.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Got my big girl
breeches on!
Picture of coffeeaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
The cowboy way would be to “sack him out.” What does the flat saddle crowd do about a bad habit like this?

Well the short answer is we move it's feet...and fast. The reason horses rear is they quit moving their feet forward and start to think backwards. It really depends on the horse, but most we have had with this problem we tend to carry a whip and every time it rears, or even thinks about rearing we chase it forward, and hard. If they are unbalanced in their rear or stand all the way up we typically pull them sideways and kick their haunches around...again FAST, until they are settled and then we go forward quietly.

We've had two that were so bad they required two people to correct it. One rider and a grounds person who would chase the horse forward with a lunge whip each time it tried to rear.

No matter what, we try to make these types of horses hot off our leg. Horses that rear tend to be stuck behind the leg or disrespectful of the aide and we want when we put our leg on for them to jump forward. So far, knock on wood, we've managed to fix everyone that has had this problem that has come to us.

http://dressageonthequarter.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1926 | Location: TN | Registered: December 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Giving it too much throttle and releasing the clutch too fast causes that.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Who was that unmasked lady? Smile

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This kind of thing is why I watch from outside the fence and prefer something with a motor for my own off the beaten path travels.
Beautiful animal in any case.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
She looks like a pro!

Never had that happen but my grandpa had a smaller one that seemed to always want to suddenly stop on me and eat. We rode bareback most of the time so I usually went sliding.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
No easy feat, girl has skills. Well done youngster

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
That would be an “oh, shit” moment for me. Big Grin

Your daughter is handling it wonderfully. Beautiful horse.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coffeeaddict:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Well the short answer is we move it's feet...and fast. The reason horses rear is they quit moving their feet forward and start to think backwards. It really depends on the horse, but most we have had with this problem we tend to carry a whip and every time it rears, or even thinks about rearing we chase it forward, and hard. If they are unbalanced in their rear or stand all the way up we typically pull them sideways and kick their haunches around...again FAST, until they are settled and then we go forward quietly.

We've had two that were so bad they required two people to correct it. One rider and a grounds person who would chase the horse forward with a lunge whip each time it tried to rear.

No matter what, we try to make these types of horses hot off our leg. Horses that rear tend to be stuck behind the leg or disrespectful of the aide and we want when we put our leg on for them to jump forward. So far, knock on wood, we've managed to fix everyone that has had this problem that has come to us.

Thank you

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting post. I've owned probably 25 quarter horses in my life including some very good race horses. Over 50 years I can't ever remember one time that a horse reared on me. I guess I was real lucky. I doubt I could have stayed on in that saddle. Good job lady!

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post