SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Little Country that Does
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Little Country that Does Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
Gil Gutknecht |Posted: Mar 11, 2018

I have long believed that success leaves clues. It makes sense to pay attention to those clues in order to duplicate that success.

When most of us think about Switzerland, we think of great cheese, fine chocolate, and excellent time pieces. They are also famous for their neutrality. Maybe we Americans should take a closer look. They do a number of things right and we might learn something from them.

Yes, they make excellent cheese, chocolate and watches. They produce some pretty good wine as well. But, did you know that they spend 30% less than we do on healthcare and they have a life expectancy about four years longer? Now, some of my Doctor friends don’t like it when I sight that life expectancy number. They say it has more to do with other societal and cultural factors. Maybe. But four years is not statistically insignificant. Curiously, the average stay in a hospital is two days longer and yet it costs less? Interesting, they don’t have what we would describe as socialized medicine. Everyone is required to buy health insurance from a long list of private companies and plans. Even though they are home to several large pharmaceutical companies including Roche and Novartis, they have a clever way of negotiating prices with the drug companies and they pay less than we do…for the same drugs. It is otherwise essentially a market based system.

Many of us confuse their famous neutrality for military weakness. Au contre! They believe in a strong national defense. The Swiss have mandatory military conscription for all young men and they are armed to the teeth. For their population, they have one of the largest standing armies in the world. Their reputation for loyalty and bravery are among the reasons that the Pope is still protected by the Swiss Guard to this day. After their time in the service, most Swiss take their semi-automatic weapons home with them. They keep them oiled and ready to defend their Alpine republic. By the way, the large number of guns in the hands of civilians has not driven the murder rate anywhere near that of say, Chicago. In fact the Swiss enjoy a pretty low crime rate.They keep an impressive arsenal of sophisticated military hardware hidden in mountain caves. These include modern jet fighters positioned along straight sections of highways that double as landing strips. Just because they stay out of other peoples’ foreign affairs, it doesn’t mean you can mess with the Swiss.

Their neutrality was not the only reason that Hitler never invaded Switzerland in his grand plan for a greater German empire. He and his generals understood that the price of a Swiss invasion would be very high. One of the holidays celebrated in Geneva is called the Escalade. They commemorate the defeat of a foreign power who cavalierly attempted a conquest. Back in 1602 the French Duke of Savoy launched an invasion of Geneva. Swiss housewives poured large pots of boiling soup over the city walls on the invaders. They were quickly driven back across the border. The Duke was never foolish enough to try that again.

The Escalade Holiday ends around the kitchen table. After supper the family discusses the blessings of liberty. The patriarch then announces loudly, “ La mort aux ennemis de la Republique!-Death to the enemies of the Republic!” He then smashes his fist down on a large milk chocolate pot (commemorating the soup pots) that is filled with marzipan candies. The whole family then enjoy the broken chocolate and the candies. It’s like Independence Day, Swiss style. Quite tasty too.

The Swiss are not totally immune to leftist thinking, but they largely ignore much of the nonsense advanced by their larger neighbors. When the European Union proposed a common currency, the Swiss politely said no thanks. The warnings that they would become economically isolated are echoed today by the anti-Brexit baboons. They stuck with the Swiss Franc and it remains the world’s gold standard. You may remember that when the Obama administration sent pallets of cash to the Iranian mullahs, the plane made a stop in Geneva. It wasn’t just to refuel. U.S. federal law prohibited wire transfers to the Iranian regime without approval from Congress, so it had to be cash. The Iranians didn’t want our dirty greenbacks, so we had to convert them into mostly Swiss Francs. We got our hostages back, they got their tribute in good-as-gold Swiss Francs.

The Swiss were not eager to take large numbers of refugees. They wound up accepting some who were on their way from Italy to Germany... and stayed. Muslims aren’t unwelcome in Switzerland. But in a national plebiscite a few years ago, voters rejected their ability to build minarets. The Swiss expect newcomers to assimilate or move on. Switzerland has four official languages, but one common culture. The Swiss take citizenship seriously. While they allow some immigration, it takes twelve years before an immigrant can even apply for citizenship and local citizens retain the right to vote up or down on final approval. They can turn you down for any reason including not being a hard worker. And they do. Amazingly, the Swiss have been able to milk all those cows, make mountains of chocolate and pick those grapes without a large influx of illegal labor.

The Swiss are multilingual. They have a strong work ethic. They enjoy a very high standard of living, a low crime rate and clean, neat cities. As mentioned, they have privatized, affordable health care for all. The Swiss have a small, efficient central government that balances its budget. They stay out of other peoples’ business and do a very good job of managing their own.

If indeed success leaves clues, we could learn a lot from this little landlocked nation. The Swiss have somehow figured out how to maintain their liberty, their culture and do so many things right. I doubt they would mind if we copied a few of their successes.

Link

One of my favorite places in the world.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Swiss expect newcomers to assimilate or move on.

Wow, what a novel idea! We should try that here sometime!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Too bad most of their neighbors didn't follow their lead...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Articles like this - while fun to read- always make me cringe as completely unrealistic.

We all know the concept of 'scale' in business... How do you take a wonderful intimate dining experience at a small 20 table restaurant and 'scale' it to 800 tables?? Very hard to do. If not impossible.

Switzerland has 8-9M people. Most white. We have counties / MSAs almost that populous.

We are the world leader 40x larger than them. They have the luxury of being completely self-absorbed.

It's just no comparison. Great for them but just not very instructive. Same thing when we get compared to Canada, Australia, etc.

-----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
my Doctor friends don’t like it when I sight that life expectancy number
It's good to keep an eye on things like this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Articles like this - while fun to read- always make me cringe as completely unrealistic.

We all know the concept of 'scale' in business... How do you take a wonderful intimate dining experience at a small 20 table restaurant and 'scale' it to 800 tables?? Very hard to do. If not impossible.

Switzerland has 8-9M people. Most white. We have counties / MSAs almost that populous.

We are the world leader 40x larger than them. They have the luxury of being completely self-absorbed.

It's just no comparison. Great for them but just not very instructive. Same thing when we get compared to Canada, Australia, etc.

-----------------------------------------------

These traits were developed over centuries, in part the results of geography, partly the outcome of the more or less constant armed conflict swirling around Europe as popes and princes struggled for supremacy, over all or their little piece of the pie, as well as the attitudes and strengths and weaknesses of the inhabitants from time to time.

The US could never, and would never try to emulate this, in whole anyway. Our similarities are different. But it might be instructive to consider the principles which are thought to be responsible for their admirable situation.

I enjoyed every minute I spent in Switzerland, and I was fortunate enough to spend a great many minutes there, in different parts of the country, in different seasons, from Geneva in a swanky hotel, to incomparable ski resorts, charming small inns, riding the trains which seem to go nearly everywhere, and on time(!), or driving on very well built roads through spectacular scenery. Clean, sparkling, relatively efficient, small but expensive, Switzerland is a civil engineering paradise, everything but flat ground, so charming it is hard to believe Walt Disney didn’t build it. Most inhabitants spoke some English and two of French, German or Italian. The bankers are strict, inflexible in their requirements, at least towards US persons, their way or the highway!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Trick question: who is the president of Switzerland?

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Berset

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed every trip to Switzerland I've made.

Want to visit France? Go to Switzerland. Want to visit Italy? Go to Switzerland. Want to visit Germany? Go to Switzerland. You'll see the real thing, not some modernized version of "diversity."

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

No shit. The author seems to be ignorant of about any point he makes.

- Yes, the Swiss healthcare system requires mandatory enlistment in any of a number of insurances available in the respective canton (think state) for basic coverage, which can be expanded to cover additional medical treatment. Low-income earners get subsidized by their canton. Sounds familiar? It should, in the US they call it Obamacare.

- The SIG 550 service rifle is of course not semi-, but full-auto. I don't know whether the militiamen keep them oiled to defend the republic, but they better do it since they have to pass annual qualifications while not called up. Though the famous "ready ammunition" in a sealed box to take home along the rifle and be loaded for self-defense during mobilization has once again been withdrawn in 2007, as it was in 1899 and 1945.

- Switzerland couldn't introduce the Euro since it's not a EU member, though most businesses will accept it and from 2011 to 2015 the Swiss Central Bank set a minimum exchange rate of 1.20 Francs for the Euro, essentially tying both currencies together. This was an attempt to counter the rise of the Franc's value which has been hurting Swiss exports by making products more expensive on the world market - ironically as a result of what the author describes, that everybody is investing in Francs as a safe denomination.

- Yeah, the Swiss allow "some" immigration. In fact their population is 25 percent non-citizens, the highest share anywhere in Europe except the mini-states of Luxembourg and Liechtenstein. Counting Swiss citizens whose parents were born abroad, more than 37 percent of residents have an immigration background. For comparison purposes, in Germany (which ranks eighth in the EU regarding this, as the first major country behind Austria, Ireland and Belgium) it's about ten percent non-citizens, and 23 percent with at least one parent not born with German citizenship and/or in Germany.

But I didn't know about the local Escalade holiday in Geneva, so at least I learned that from the article. Even though I find the author got the French phrase said at the table wrong.

Posts: 2413 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Awesome place.
Surpassed only by the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The Swiss also have the luxury of letting other countries--namely the United States--do the world's policing for them.

Seriously, comparing a mostly homogeneous country with a population of less than 9 million with that of a country with the size and diversity of the US is quite futile.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
my Doctor friends don’t like it when I sight that life expectancy number
It's good to keep an eye on things like this.

Not enough cite seers in journalism today...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
"Pas d'argent, pas de Suisse." No silver, no Swiss. At least, as very competent mercenaries in the Middle Ages, you could count on the Swiss. They stayed bought, until the contract was finished. They might turn around and attack you after they fulfilled your contract, hired by someone else, but you could count on them to finish what you hired them for - almost unique among armies for hire in those days.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The defense of Switzerland is not hurt by the fact that there is almost no level ground in the country--its all mountains.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of the Swiss. They didn't exactly help us during WWII. In fact, one could make an argument that they screwed us over.

Switzerland stopped American and British aircraft from overflying Switzerland during World War II. This apparently cost some lives of the good guys.

There is evidence they were taking in money, gold, paintings and other items that were stolen by Nazis, which were deposited in Swiss banks by the Nazis.

just sayin'

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Not a fan of the Swiss. They didn't exactly help us during WWII. In fact, one could make an argument that they screwed us over.

Switzerland stopped American and British aircraft from overflying Switzerland during World War II. This apparently cost some lives of the good guys.

There is evidence they were taking in money, gold, paintings and other items that were stolen by Nazis, which were deposited in Swiss banks by the Nazis.

just sayin'

Otoh, I’ve read quite a few accounts of fliers, prisoners, and others escaping, making it to Switzerland to be returned to England, usually, and safety.

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I’ve read quite a few accounts of fliers, prisoners, and others escaping, making it to Switzerland to be returned to England, usually, and safety.
In actuality, those flyers had to be interned in Switzerland for the duration of the war, lest Switzerland might lose their neutral status.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7252 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In college, back in the 1970s, I had a girlfriend from Switzerland. She was multi-talented. She could bake really good bread, spin yarn, knit, sew, keep an immaculate house, had a degree in psychology from a Swiss university, and was additionally a blonde babe with an ample bustline. She said she had no interest in ever returning to her homeland, because she didn't want to have to perform government service (as I understood it) working with nuts for some period of years to pay the government back for her education. This seemed kind of underhanded, and made me suspicious of her motivation for being my girlfriend. I suspected that she wanted to get hitched so she could more easily become a US citizen. (I think in those golden days that method worked.)

After I dumped her she took up with a wormy looking guy who was a bartender at a crummy tavern and they got married pretty quickly and reproduced. Last I heard they were still together, so I don't know if she would have made a good wife for me or not. And I don't know if she ever went back to Switzerland.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

just sayin'

Didn't stop your guys bombing the Swiss city of Schaffhausen on 1 April 1944. It changed the life of an entire region within a few minutes. Large parts of the city were destroyed by some 400 incendiary and demolition bombs. The station area was destroyed as well as many of the industrial buildings. Not only were 270 people injured and 40 killed, but hundreds of jobs were also destroyed.

just sayin'.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post