SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fearsome hunter of lions or timid cuddle bug?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fearsome hunter of lions or timid cuddle bug? Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
I stopped to deliver a package to a house today and the customer came out with his Rhodesian Ridgeback. She was absolutely beautiful but wasn't very big so I assume she was just under a year old but later found her height to be average for her breed. What made us both laugh though was the way she shied away from me when I went to pet her. She actually ran back into the house and poked her head around the door. When I made the comment that she probably wouldn't be good for hunting lions, her owner laughed. As I walked away, she became curious again and followed me out to the truck and looked like she was interested in getting in. As I left, she chased me down the driveway.

Rhodesians are a very rare sight. Other than the one my Dad had in the '70s, I've only see three others. I consider them the most gorgeous of the canine species.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
About three years ago a young stray dog about 4-5 months old covered in mange showed up at our farm. When I went to put him down he looked at me with prettiest blue eyes and expression on his face that my heart melted. That dog turned out to be a Ridgeback/Lab mix. Great dog with a great personality and very smart but just a little bull headed at times. Dog takes his guard duty very seriously and always places himself between us and any perceived threats. As I said a great dog and he is my pal.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Rhodesians of unusual size? I don't think they exist...oof!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had an Ainu dog, medium sized japanese breed, picture a 50lb. Akita and you're probably close. She had an air and a presence about her with other dogs. The only dog I ever saw her back down from was our trainer's Rhodesian. Rhodesian's are great dogs provided their owners put the time and training into them.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

I have to acknowledge cleverness when I see it!

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1598 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

DF wins the internet for today!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
My little girl Rhodesian (3 dogs ago for me, in that measure of time) was ~115 pounds. And not timid, also not aggressive, but definitely curious.

Paws on top of the car, looking in the window at strangers kind of curious...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My good girl Chavela is a Rhodesian. She was hell on wheels when she was young-would attack marauding javelinas and hogs and often got injured doing it. She would steal food off your unattended plate and grin at you if you caught and admonished her. She's the last survivor of the six dogs we had at the ranch, and lives in town with me now. Every day she goes to the ranch with me to check on things. She won't even get out of the truck until she has a good look around to make sure there's no hogs or cows that are going to get after her. That's alright with me. She's turned out to be a sweet and obedient old dog.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rhodesians are a very rare sight. Other than the one my Dad had in the '70s, I've only see three others. I consider them the most gorgeous of the canine species.

Must be a regional lack of popularity.
They are a very common sight around here.

Some of the fastest dogs I have ever seen excluding the racing hounds.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I looked up what one is, and they are sorta common here. However, they are working dogs when I see them.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Some of the fastest dogs I have ever seen excluding the racing hounds.

Though their body shape does not conform to the general sighthound form, RR's are classed in the sighthound group of hounds, i.e., dogs who hunt with their eyes and their speed to run down prey.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ridgebacks are great dogs, if well trained. Reminds me of the Cane Corso Italiano. Mastiff breed, looks like a pit bull on steroids. Best dog I ever owned (so far). Kyzer was fearless, confident (135 pounds). He wouldn't start trouble, but there was no way he would back down.

Now his cousin, Luca, at 165 pounds, was a different kettle of fish. He could have been a lion hunter.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:

My Mom told me a story about how she was playing with me in the yard when I was about 3ish. Keba, apparently going into guard mode, ran past me and jumped on my Mom. He was standing on his hind legs with his fore paws on her shoulders and staring her in the face. But apparently, he was fine with me jumping on him when he was trying to relax...

We had to let him go when we moved because he would get out and chase dogs in the neighborhood. He was actually strong enough to get under a garage door that had an electric opener on it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I love Ridgebacks; I have never met one that was the least bit aggressive. Perhaps a bit standoff-ish, but that just means it is not ignoring its environment. They are beautiful dogs.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Vang Comp Systems (Hans Vang), in Chino Valley AZ, used to have the baddest RR I'v ever seen. The dog hung around the shop, about 130 lb. and a true African hunting hound.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve never met an aggressive one, in fact they tend to be shy in my experience. Many years ago at a park a lady had one that was freakishly tall, the thing never left her side. She said he wasn’t so much protective, but had bad separation anxiety. Countless other dogs running around he was happy just walking within 5-10 feet of her.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:

My Mom told me a story about how she was playing with me in the yard when I was about 3ish. Keba, apparently going into guard mode, ran past me and jumped on my Mom. He was standing on his hind legs with his fore paws on her shoulders and staring her in the face. But apparently, he was fine with me jumping on him when he was trying to relax...

This is very much my experience with RRs that are pets to families with children.
I dated a little girl in High School and college and we frequently babysat her little nephews and they had a RR.
I had to be very careful playing with those boys. There were a couple times I distinctly remember I was about to be on the receiving end of the RR.
We were playing a little baseball and the boy was running the bases I began to chase the boy and their pup hopped up and just stared. I should have known better but when I caught up with the boy I picked the boy up and began to spin him around and that dog came flying at me barking and growling something fierce every hair on the dogs back was on end and just blended in with the ridge. If I would have not put the boy down I can pretty much be assured I would have been in the hospital getting stitches if not worse.

That dog would have killed someone in a heartbeat trying to hurt those boys.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
We had African strain ones growing up - significant difference between the two. Great dogs, but NOT to be trifled with by strangers.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
What, no pix?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two and neither were timid. Both excellent protectors. They can be a handful.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post