SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electrical question: switch conundrum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical question: switch conundrum Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I have one switch in a bedroom that should be controlling the overhead light fixture; there is no other switch to the fixture. Trouble is, is doesn't control it: light fixture stays on regardless of switch position. Changed switch, no difference. Wires to switch are black and red; but this is an SPST switch, not three-way.

Wires in ceiling box are black and white, no red wire seen.

I separated four black wires in the box that were connected by wire nut: light still on!
There used to be a ceiling fan in this room.
I'm wondering if there is a red wire in the ceiling that is not in the ceiling box?

Normally I feel comfortable switching out switches and outlets, reading diagrams, etc. but this one has me puzzled.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Two questions:

1. Are you sure the switch isn't for something else, like one of (or half) the outlets in the room?

2. Did it ever work?

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If there was a ceiling fan in the room it could have been wired directly and used the pull chains to turn it on/off. I know this is stupid but I have seen it done.

How do you turn the light off?

A red wire tell me it's three wire in that box. Black/red/white/ground in one sheath.

If you unhook all the blacks and it doesn't do off then the wires in the switch box most likely don't control the light. I say most lights. Is there a white wire connected to any blacks or red wires? This would make me think there is a switch leg.

Check all the outlets. Both top and bottom plugs on each and see if the switch controls any of them. Outlets can be made where one plug is always hot and one is controlled by a switch. By code each bedroom has to have a switch that controls a light. Now this can be accomplished with a switch that connects to a outlet. That outlet could have a light plugged into it meeting code.

I've seen alot of wired wiring and sometimes it's easy it figure out and sometimes you shake your head as you spend most of a day tracing things out.

FWIW I'm not an election and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I have done a crap ton of remodeling and with that played with a few sets of wires.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a ceiling fan where the fan is controlled by 2-3 way switches, The lights to the fan are on a separate switch.

Sounds like a complete circuit was wired to the light and no disconnect through a switch. I would attempt to find additional wires from the old ceiling fan that were stuffed in the ceiling.

Posts: 12659 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Check the gang box for a white wire. When you find it, install a 3 way switch.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So far good suggestions; I'm planning to go into the attic to see if there are other wires around the ceiling box.

There are white wires in the box for the switch but connected together with a wire nut.

It's quite possible that whoever did the re-wiring when the fan was removed did not know what they were doing with the switch.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I have one switch in a bedroom that should be controlling the overhead light fixture; there is no other switch to the fixture. Trouble is, is doesn't control it: light fixture stays on regardless of switch position. Changed switch, no difference. Wires to switch are black and red; but this is an SPST switch, not three-way.

Wires in ceiling box are black and white, no red wire seen.

I separated four black wires in the box that were connected by wire nut: light still on!
There used to be a ceiling fan in this room.
I'm wondering if there is a red wire in the ceiling that is not in the ceiling box?

Normally I feel comfortable switching out switches and outlets, reading diagrams, etc. but this one has me puzzled.

Black and red only at the switch indicate it is wired as on a switch leg. Black is line, red is switched. (or is it the other way around?)

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If you comfortable check for power from ground to both the black and red connected to the switch. Do this with the switch in the off position. Check both wires to the group of white wires that are all wire nutted together. You can do them as a group no need to untwist them all. Wondering is there is power to either the red or black on the switch.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here's my guesses:

1) There was a fan there pull chain controlled only. Flippers were too dumb to know this and just installed a light, and couldn't figure out why the switch didn't work it.

2) Probably a different flipper fuck up. The switch wiring controls a switched plug and since there was already four cables in the switch box an electrician ran from the switched plug to the light fixture to avoid overloading switch box. If this is the case the wiring to the light will be coming from whatever outlet has a red wire in it. The red should be wire nutted to black for light, but instead flipper changed outlets out and connected all hots (red/black) to outlet instead of leaving red/black wire nutted in back of box separate from outlet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's my guesses:

1) There was a fan there pull chain controlled only. Flippers were too dumb to know this and just installed a light, and couldn't figure out why the switch didn't work it.

2) Probably a different flipper fuck up. The switch wiring controls a switched plug and since there was already four cables in the switch box an electrician ran from the switched plug to the light fixture to avoid overloading switch box. If this is the case the wiring to the light will be coming from whatever outlet has a red wire in it. The red should be wire nutted to black for light, but instead flipper changed outlets out and connected all hots (red/black) to outlet instead of leaving red/black wire nutted in back of box separate from outlet.

Thank you, Jesse, I was hoping you would chime in. I will check the wiring of outlets again.

posted Hide Post
Just to add on. I have also seen ceiling fans with a remote control and the remote control has a wall mount and stored right by the door and that is used to switch it on and off, but the fan with lightkit always has power going to it. I think the switch is to switch off and on one of the outlets. A LOT of older homes have this so you put a regular desktop/nightstand light there and the switch turns it on or off.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post