SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How's the best way to get rid of mice?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How's the best way to get rid of mice? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
If a pet eats a poisoned mouse or rat it can kill the pet... Eek
Pets have also been known to eat the bait directly.

Our 1 1/2 year old rescue cat is a great pest control device. She is amazing and gets free roam of the house and yard. I'll just let her control the pest for now. She has even eliminated the moles on our ~4 acres. Thats something I could not do in 3 years of attacking them with poison and trapping. Not a single tunnel this year. She brings the dead ones to me to show me, and receives great praise for it.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Does merlot need a brother or sister? If so, you could get:
  • one of the working terrier/terrorist breeds such as Jack Russel, Patterdale, rat, etc.
  • a cat

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    First: Try to eliminate as many entries as you can. It's a PITA, and they can get through surprisingly tiny openings, but it has to be done.

Those openings are not only an ingress for mice, but also a variety of other creepy-crawlies (incl. snakes), and they degrade your heating/cooling and moisture control.

Secondly: Traps on the inside, poison outside. My wife put poison outside and in the garage, last fall, and we ended up with only one mouse in the house all season long.

The traps don't even necessarily need to be baited. We place them with the openings up against walls and other places we found, in the past, they run, and they simply run across them and *snap*.

Thirdly: Seal all food up to the best of your ability.

Lastly: It's been our experience early fall when you'll get most of them in the house, as the outside mice are looking for someplace warm to over-winter. We found if can keep them out of the house as the cold approaches, until it gets really cold, we're probably home safe.

It's taken us over 25 years to abate the problem in our late-60's ranch home, but we're pretty much there. I just found another ingress, between attached garage and house, that I sealed up with Great Stuff fire-retardant foam. (Helpfully created several years ago by an electrician we hired that was a hack.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Now in Florida
    Picture of ChicagoSigMan
    posted Hide Post
    You can always build a mouse village to give them a more attractive place to live.

Man Builds Mouse Village in His Garden

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The posts that refer to them croaking in the walls is right on. My house stunk for weeks when that happened to me.
    I use the Feline option. The plus to it: Most crawling bugs and spiders are yummy to my cat.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    Glue a cheerio in the middle of the kitchen floor and sit there watching it with a K-22 loaded with rat shot.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
    You can always build a mouse village to give them a more attractive place to live.

Man Builds Mouse Village in His Garden
    My outdoor cat would probably disturb that scenario.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Exceptional Circumstances
    Picture of dave7378
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cparktd:

It depends on the active ingredient in the rodenticide. Typically the amount that the rodent ate in order to receive a lethal dose would not come close to kill a pet, even a small cat or dog. Again, it depends on the rodenticide and the active ingredient. I have been in the pest control business for 30 years, 22 years as an owner, and this has never happened on any job I performed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Smarter than the
    average bear
    posted Hide Post
    I would not use poison, inside or outside. Live with that smell for a few weeks and you'll never do it again either. And I don't see how using it outside is any guarantee; it doesn't kill them immediately, so the mice that eat poison outside can still come inside to die.

The Tomcat mouse and rat traps work great-are very easy to set and to dispose of the victims without touching anything nasty.

https://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-...a-304497935460&psc=1

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA6I97kXTao

And as everyone else said, police your food.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cparktd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by dave7378:
    quote:

It depends on the active ingredient in the rodenticide. Typically the amount that the rodent ate in order to receive a lethal dose would not come close to kill a pet, even a small cat or dog.

Good to hear. No first hand experience, just repeating what a vet told me.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of dsiets
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by dave7378:
    quote:

It depends on the active ingredient in the rodenticide. Typically the amount that the rodent ate in order to receive a lethal dose would not come close to kill a pet, even a small cat or dog.

Good to hear. No first hand experience, just repeating what a vet told me.

Very good to know, thanks.

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Low Profile Member
    posted Hide Post
    seal all potential access points (i used copper mesh), bait stations around the outside perimeter, traps inside the house. no problem for years now with the house. damage to cars left outside is a different story. have attacked that problem with additional bait stations in that area and traps in the engine bay when The car is left out.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Live long
    and prosper
    Picture of 0-0
    posted Hide Post

Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Exceptional Circumstances
    Picture of dave7378
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 0-0:

Wink

0-0

Haha!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Find and kill them outside in the late summer or early fall.

Woodpiles,rock walls, yard debris,sheds,etc.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post