SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How's the best way to get rid of mice?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How's the best way to get rid of mice? Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I live in an old (1895) house with lots of openings and spaces in the walls and to the outside.

My refrigerator quit working and I called the local HVAC-etc (kinda like LGBTQ-etc Big Grin) guys to come and check it out. Big hole in the back of the wall. Wiring all chewed up by these little motherfuckers. So I'm off to Lowes tomorrow to pick out a replacement for my <4YO refrigerator. Mad

I want rid of every one of these assholes right now. They're almost as bad a democrats*.

Anybody got any suggestions?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
when we had 3 cats, we never had mice. Not even one.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Nuke em' from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Seriously, the only way to keep them out is to remove their access points. Otherwise, you kill one, and five thousand show up for the funeral.

Cats are great, so is D-CON, so are traps, live and otherwise. But you just plain need to keep them from getting in, in the first place.

When you identify a place where they are getting in, use wood putty mixed in with steel wool. They can chew through the putty, but not the steel wool.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Havoc or similar in all their hidden spots under the house, in the attic, etc.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem when I had cats & jack Russell's Wink

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Step one.

Remove food sources. Meaning police your foodstuffs and make sure things are in closed containers, look for boxes that have been nibbled, some sort of tupperware is in order.

Also, look out for candies, lozenges, even soaps and cosmetics, they will eat those.

How mice find their way inside is heat loss, police the exterior of your home, looking for holes at the mud sill, doors and windows, damaged trim.

Look at the backs of your kitchen cabinets, and behind stoves, dishwashers and other appliances. I like to use PL 400 and coarse steel wool to plug holes.

As far as getting rid of mice:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/To...-037161005/300934065

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Yellow foam in the red can. Works awesome at sealing holes.
As others have said, maybe some steel wool in the hole then foam. I may consider shattered light bulbs and foam, but I’m a dick.

There is a electrocution device. As pictured it doesn’t work perfectly, but with a copper base, slightly bowled and containing salt water (6% or better) and some handlebars for the front paws wrapped around the black wire, but it’ll cook them. Cant be on a GFI, or an Arc Fault breaker. I’m sure I’ll regret posting this, as it caused a huge fucking debate last time. All I can say is make it, with the mods I describe, and see for yourself.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need to stop them from getting in by sealing every hole, then secure all food sources.

The electronic rat trap by Victor works really well and is sold at Lowes and HD.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Victo...nic-Rat-Trap/3083207

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Go to Walmart and get the mouse traps with the cheese trigger. You can make them more sensitive by shortening the wire to the yellow pad.

If you pull up on the wire, it will shorten its length to the pad which will cause the pad to incline at an angle. This way the mouse has to climb over the pad to get the peanut butter.

Try it first to see how sensitive the trap is as it comes out of the box. The last ones i bought had a shorter wire and was just right.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vic...-Mouse-Trap/12166945

Some stores also have this model which is worthless:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vic...-Mouse-Trap/23501982

It is too easy for the mouse to lick the peanut butter off without tripping the trigger.

I would look outside and plug any holes with foam. First mark all the holes that need filling and then get the can out and have at it. After using the can, you have to clean it good or it will plug up for later use and be worthless.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GRE...Gaps-Cracks/17756646

A mouse leaves a scent path so another mouse will pick up the scent and follow the trail.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

There is a electrocution device. As pictured it doesn’t work perfectly, but with a copper base, slightly bowled and containing salt water (6% or better) and some handlebars for the front paws wrapped around the black wire, but it’ll cook them. Cant be on a GFI, or an Arc Fault breaker. I’m sure I’ll regret posting this, as it caused a huge fucking debate last time. All I can say is make it, with the mods I describe, and see for yourself.

Um, no, just no Roll Eyes

Please refrain from giving shitty advice on the forum.

In this case, dangerous. And you shorted your neutral and safety ground for your entire freaking circuit, making this even dumber than it already was.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
As others have said, maybe some steel wool in the hole then foam. I may consider shattered light bulbs and foam, but I’m a dick.

How do you get rid of the stench of burning mouse flesh??? Just NO Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:

How do you get rid of the stench of burning mouse flesh??? Just NO Big Grin

Pho?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I just used ABC pest control for roof rats. They sealed up ALL access points with sturdy wire mesh and set out about 15 snap traps in the attic. Got a total of 7 on the first go, emptied and rebaited for round 2 and didn’t get anything...got all of them in round 1, I guess.

Anyway, it’s been quiet and they were very knowledgable and professional. Cost $1,000 clams, but comes with a 1 year guarantee. Something of your magnitude just might need the pros. Good luck!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cats, cats, cats. Had a feral cat hang around long enough to have chillens. Got them friendly after the feral mom left. Had them all fixed. We have not seen a live mouse in years.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:

Beancooker, don't post this again. It's not good advice, it's not safe.

No more.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Sigh, I was looking at that thinking, it doesn’t look like a good idea, but seeing those @#$&*(s fried seems like it would be really satisfying. Oh well...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Back in the old day, a ship's scuttlecocks were knocked out and they let the ship settle into the bay for a week. Killed / drowned all the bugs and mice and rats. Then hammered the bungs back in, pumped her out, and refloated her.

I do not know your situation, but it could be effective in your case.

I've used poison. The poison food they eat. A little sprinkled borax on the floor for good measure, plus you can see their tracks in the morning. And then there was one. It does work. And then there were none.

Because we had a cat living here, we'd have to rotate between poison and cat food.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Decon works great to kill mice already in the house just be careful where you place it if you have pets. As others have said find and seal all holes were nice can gain entrance to your home, you'd be surprised at how small a hole a mouse can squeeze through. I had a problem with mice but once I found their entry point and sealed it with concrete I haven't seen a mouse in my house since.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
The Rat Zapper works well and kills without a mess.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Any woodpiles near the house? Mice love them.

Edit. Sorry. By which I mean, get rid of the woodpiles.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post