SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who Here Saw Their State Gasoline Taxes Go Up?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Here Saw Their State Gasoline Taxes Go Up? Login/Join 
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
We used to have dirt cheap gas here in NJ owing to all the refineries. Gov Christies parting gift to us was to jack up the gas tax a full 23 cents right before leaving office but gave us back like .5% off the sales tax. Then we went from the frying pan to the fire with good old "State of emergency" Murphy. He raised it another 4 cents and tried to claw back the sales tax break that Christy gave us. Even the Democrats in the state legislature can't stand Murphy. They blocked that an a whole host of his other priorities.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah NY, finally #1 in something! I assure you we have that .9 just so we can out tax, out liberal California, it's our state government's goal in everything. I'm sure somewhere in Albany there are people terribly upset that California's diesel tax is higher that ours and are feverishly working on fixing that.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Our recently elected Dem. gov. tried to raise it but was overturned by the legislature.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
There's about a $.50 difference between St Louis and the IL side of the river, now. Just makes it cost effective for people living a bit farther from the border to go to MO for gas.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I am a county over from I-81 here in Virginia... our gas tax just went up to pay for improvements along the highway...
Truckers use it like crazy, and rightfully so, but they don't buy gas here, so we pay as they cause huge wear and tear.
Would like to see a use tax, as opposed to hitting the little folks.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
We used to have dirt cheap gas here in NJ owing to all the refineries. Gov Christies parting gift to us was to jack up the gas tax a full 23 cents right before leaving office but gave us back like .5% off the sales tax. Then we went from the frying pan to the fire with good old "State of emergency" Murphy. He raised it another 4 cents and tried to claw back the sales tax break that Christy gave us. Even the Democrats in the state legislature can't stand Murphy. They blocked that an a whole host of his other priorities.

And the roads still SUCK!
I still see one guy with a shovel and 5 guys watching him. The only thing more crooked than a State Union guy are all the NJ Politicians.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:

I live in PA and work in NJ. It used to be that I would make sure I always filled up Friday when I leave work. Now the difference is so little that I don't worry about it. Plus I'd rather pump my own gas.

I don't smoke so I don't know what the cigarette taxes are in each state but plenty of Jersians still cross the bridges to buy their cigarettes. LOL

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
quote:

And the roads still SUCK!
I still see one guy with a shovel and 5 guys watching him. The only thing more crooked than a State Union guy are all the NJ Politicians.
They jacked the PA gas taxes up through the roof claiming they needed to in order to have money to fix all the roads. They also jacked up our yearly vehicle registration fees.

The roads are worse than they've ever been. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
They jacked the PA gas taxes up through the roof claiming they needed to in order to have money to fix all the roads. They also jacked up our yearly vehicle registration fees.

The roads are worse than they've ever been. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

They stole 90% of all that gas tax revenue and gave it to the PA State Police who are now the most well funded police org in the entire USA.

$4.2 billion in gas taxes diverted to state police, Pa. auditor general determines

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm sure NY's tax revenues went up when NJ raised their tax, it was no longer worth waiting till Jersey to gas up.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
Yep, they went up here in SC, as they have for the last few years. Our legislature enacted a 10 or 12 cents per gallon tax rate hike to be phased in over 5 or 6 years. Our gas tax goes up 2 cents per year, every year, until they reach the full amount. After that, they will probably implement another rate hike.

Yeah, but on the bright side the roads in the upstate have never been better Roll Eyes

Took the words right out of my mouth, Mr.9mm.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post