SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who Here Saw Their State Gasoline Taxes Go Up?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Here Saw Their State Gasoline Taxes Go Up? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I saw something that like 13 states just enacted gas tax increases this week? Ohio being one of them at something like 10-11 cents a gallon?

In the article about the gas tax increase in Ohio, I saw something that made me chuckle because they made that very same lame excuse here in PA (when they increased it 45 cents or so over 3 years) that "well, the gas stations can CHOSE to pass the increase along or not as THEY actually pay the tax". LOL! I guarantee you that the full increase was passed right along to the person pumping the gas!

Anyone see their gas prices go up overnight as a result of these tax increases?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Yep, they went up here in SC, as they have for the last few years. Our legislature enacted a 10 or 12 cents per gallon tax rate hike to be phased in over 5 or 6 years. Our gas tax goes up 2 cents per year, every year, until they reach the full amount. After that, they will probably implement another rate hike.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Yup, Gov DeWine screwed us here in OH.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I’m in Ohio. 10 cents on gas, 19 point something cents on diesel. Fully electric cars get a $1000 additional fee, and plug in hybrids get a $500 fee (both per year) since they don’t contribute to the gas tax as much or at all.

Not pleased, but we have a crap ton of roads and bridges that legitimately need work. Not convinced that is where the money will go, but if it does that might actually be a worthwhile investment.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Mad yup

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nineteen cents her in IL, but only the rich people will be impacted by this, since Pritzger promised to tax them and not the middle class.

How is it that so many stupid people congregate in some areas such as IL? If they were distributed evenly among the population, they would not have so much impact on the election results, and the rest of us wouldn't have to deal with their stupidity.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
Yep, they went up here in SC, as they have for the last few years. Our legislature enacted a 10 or 12 cents per gallon tax rate hike to be phased in over 5 or 6 years. Our gas tax goes up 2 cents per year, every year, until they reach the full amount. After that, they will probably implement another rate hike.

Yeah, but on the bright side the roads in the upstate have never been better Roll Eyes

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Yes, another dime. From 17 cents per gallon to 27 cents per gallon.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Our Governor Gretchen "Fix the damn roads"(her campaign promise) Whitmer and her gasoline tax increase is stalled in the state House and Senate.

For years part of the gasoline and diesel tax has been diverted to schools, typical Michigan cluster****. We just had an increase in license fees and fuel taxes under Governor Snyder (quote from Crains Detroit Business)The gasoline tax of 19 cents a gallon will increase by 7.3 cents and the diesel tax of 15 cents a gallon will go up 11.3 cents, with automatic annual inflationary adjustments in 2022 and after. Vehicle registration fees will rise 20 percent. The measure also permanently shifts existing state funds toward road work starting in three years.

Snyder's increase was enacted in 2015. During the debates leading to Whitmer's election she was asked by her opponent if it was true she wanted a twenty five cent per gallon increase. She denied it emphatically. Well, she did not lie, once she got in her statement was that she didn't realize the problem was as great as it was and instead stated she wanted forty five cents per gallon increase,phased in of course. This would have placed us above California in fuel taxes. And we still have one of the highest permitted truck weight limits in the country, that is if they catch and enforce those load limits which I have my doubts.Nothing will be done about that, trucking lobby is too good here.

So far the legislature has told her no way, we will see how long this will work.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I saw where California raised their gas tax and the total gas tax is now something around 58 cents per gallon.

Ironically just a month or so ago a top California government official (governor or attorney general?) made a public statement about investigating the oil companies for price gouging as people were complaining about the high gas prices.

I tried to copy and link the stories but they all have ad blockers, but you get the gist seeing the first few sentences in the web search.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fully electric cars get a $1000 additional fee, and plug in hybrids get a $500 fee (both per year) since they don’t contribute to the gas tax as much or at all.

Ok this made me chuckle..."buy electric cars! Save the environment! Use less gas!"....<.gov scratches head, hey comrade the gas tax revenue has gone down we are going to need to start fining those who use less gas>...

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I saw where California raised their gas tax and the total gas tax is now something around 58 cents per gallon.

Ironically just a month or so ago a top California government official (governor or attorney general?) made a public statement about investigating the oil companies for price gouging as people were complaining about the high gas prices.

I tried to copy and link the stories but they all have ad blockers, but you get the gist seeing the first few sentences in the web search.

IF our Governor gets her way, we would be about 71.3 cents per gallon fuel tax not to mention that we still get hit the state sales tax in addition, another 6%.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah it’s up. Hit a pothole and damaged a wheel. They fixed the pothole the next day. Ugh. Paying for premium sucks.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Fully electric cars get a $1000 additional fee, and plug in hybrids get a $500 fee (both per year) since they don’t contribute to the gas tax as much or at all.

Ok this made me chuckle..."buy electric cars! Save the environment! Use less gas!"....<.gov scratches head, hey comrade the gas tax revenue has gone down we are going to need to start fining those who use less gas>...

Yes but the electric cars are using the roads and were not paying anything towards repair/upkeep.

Smiling and saying you are great/smart does not fix the roads.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
In Montgomery County I saw regular gas for $3.79!!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Don't smile too much, won't be long tax rates for all vehicles will be on a miles used basis, since E-cars pay no fuel taxes yet use the highways and it will make fuel cheaper, make you drive less, and those that actually use the roads pay for them.

Sort of a toll road for all roads...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Ours has gone up every year since 2013 or 2014. Not sure which year the law went into effect.

Basically, it increases so much each year for some number of years(cannot remember how long) Thanks O'Malley

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It went up in Alabama because we had to "fix the roads." I could live with that if indeed they WOULD fix the roads. We actually have a gas tax in effect already for road repair and the additional tax was forced down our throat by the legislature.
When questioned about if the tax would be "earmarked" one politico was rumored to say "Hell no-then we could not use the money for other things."

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Effective 1/1/19, North Carolina increased from 35.1 cents to 36.2 cents per gallon.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post