SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jury acquits New York man who offered $500 bounty to 'anyone who kills' an ICE agent
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Jury acquits New York man who offered $500 bounty to 'anyone who kills' an ICE agent Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Doesn't the presiding judge have the authority to override the jury? I seem to recall that in the past.

Most states give judges the power to overrule a jury verdict if the jury finds the defendant guilty. Judge can say, sorry jury, you are wrong, I am actually finding him not guilty.

It does not work the other way around. If a jury finds you not guilty the judge cannot overturn that verdict. The prosecutor also has no power to appeal a not guilty verdict by a jury.

That is why "jury nullification" is such a powerful tool.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Wow, I was led here by Beancookers signature line. I m almost disappointed that I didn’t see this thread while it was unraveling.

Just wow....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
It was quite a show! "lol"... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Godd, he's gay and broke. Oh, and a jackass!

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Doesn't the presiding judge have the authority to override the jury? I seem to recall that in the past.

Most states give judges the power to overrule a jury verdict if the jury finds the defendant guilty. Judge can say, sorry jury, you are wrong, I am actually finding him not guilty.

It does not work the other way around. If a jury finds you not guilty the judge cannot overturn that verdict. The prosecutor also has no power to appeal a not guilty verdict by a jury.

That is why "jury nullification" is such a powerful tool.

I learned something new today, thanks to you.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by darthfuster:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dewhorse:
Agreed...just trying to understand why he was acquitted, was there a valid legal reason or was it due to the location of the trial and the bias of the court.

There are a couple of quotes that give a hint of what went on.

“Judge Denise Casper told jurors the central question before them was whether Ziobrowski intended to communicate a “true threat” or at least knew that it could be interpreted by others that way.”

“had argued that his client’s comments were constitutionally protected political speech that have been “blown out of proportion” by prosecutors.
“This is a guy who tweets about all kinds of things and says outrageous things,” he said.”

Add in the photo of Brandon Ziobrowski from page one and you get a near stereotypical situation where nobody is going to take him seriously. I’ve no doubt Ziobrowski played around with his dress and behavior, seeking attention.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This thread gives me >>>>>Kegger<<<<< vibes. Truly a traditional Sunday afternoon thread.

This is a well-mannered, fair minded forum. If you get called out, as I occasionally have, explain yourself and take your lumps, then move on. No need to flame out. Para is even handed if you act like an adult.

As to the OP, trials determine guilt, not innocence. In this case the trial acquitted him, but it doesn’t mean the defendant isn’t guilty. The prosecution failed to prove guilt, which certainly seems to be the case of prosecutorial incompetence/court bias more so than defendant innocence.

In a more general sense, it saddens me that this guy makes a direct offer for murde-for-hire, and it doesn’t generate a conviction, but making a generic video as in the case of the Benghazi scapegoats gets you run through the legal grinder for political purposes. It seems the blindfold is off of lady justice.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:
Folks may not like what he said, but he had the Right to say it.

Seems legit to me.

I don’t like folks trying to take my 2A Rights away.

WTF ????????????
Your cut says it all, I guess.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:
Folks may not like what he said, but he had the Right to say it.

Seems legit to me.

I don’t like folks trying to take my 2A Rights away.

WTF ????????????
Your cut says it all, I guess.

Yeah buddy you tell him!! Or......read the thread next time. Now wash up, you have dead horse blood all over you.

THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
He is scum, you cannot put a bounty on a Federal Agent. But he does have great calves... Im guessing it must be from being on his toes so frequently. Big Grin

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5297 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Report This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
And THAT'S why we can't have nice things....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Fascinating thread, I'm surprised it wasn't locked. Were the mental midgets finally banned?

It hurts to much to read this thread.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
Fascinating thread, I'm surprised it wasn't locked. Were the mental midgets finally banned?

It hurts to much to read this thread.

One guy was, one pulled the pin and hasn’t been back it appears. Good riddance to bad rubbish in either case.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yup. Longbow_06 got ejected, and FenderBender hasn't reappeared, and pulled all his profile information.

Fairly epic flameout.

Neither one of them struck me as particularly nuts until this thread, but December has a weird effect on some people.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Interestingly I watched a media report wherein the commentator mentioned the FBI had infiltrated a militia group, gained status and confidence over several months and recorded conversations. When one of the leaders made threatening comments about politicians, he was arrested, tried, convicted and is serving prison time right now. Seems like a double or at least arbitrary standard to me and if free speech were the issue, militia dude would have been acquitted.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Well...at least this thread gave me something to do while taking a dump.

Plenty of roughage.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
< snip >
Yelling "Fire" in a movie theater isn't protected free speech....
< snip >

I love seeing this statement because it is so flat out wrong it beggars disbelief.

Yelling "FIRE!" in a theater that isn't on fire simply to cause panic isn't first amendment protected speech; however, yelling "FIRE!" in a theater that is on fire so that those present can attempt to save themselves is protected speech. It is all about context.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Seems like a double or at least arbitrary standard to me and if free speech were the issue, militia dude would have been acquitted.

Some animals are more equal than others.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Let's go back to the rule as quoted by Kevbo:

quote:
According to Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969), speech constituting an incitement to imminent lawless action is not protected by the First Amendment.

“Advocacy of force or criminal activity does not receive First Amendment protections if (1) the advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action, and (2) is likely to incite or produce such action.”

Just thinking out of the box a bit, but it's more than possible that a citizen militia leader who's talking about offing politicians with his homies, in a group that's been around enough, and generated enough noise to be infiltrated by the FBI might just be considered a slightly more credible threat than a dumpster perching twink venting on Twitter.

Both parts of the test must be met; (1) advocacy to provoke or incite imminent lawless action; (2) advocacy is likely to incite or produce such action.

I think there's a pretty clear distinction between an ill advised statement on Twitter to your 400 followers, and a statement to an organized militia by one of its leaders.

Juries are actually pretty good at this stuff, and there are appellate courts to fix problems when juries screw up, or judges give bad instructions. This is a pretty fraught area, and as much as it would be rewarding to see the little twink fry for his foolishness, the context in these cases counts, as does the demonstrated or inferred intent of the speaker.

There is no doubt that we have a multi-tiered justice system in this country, and that it's a problem to be addressed by the legislature, courts, citizens and civil society. I don't, however, see these cases as being significant evidence of that problem.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post