SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Laser jammer Range Rover driver who gave police the finger is handed an eight-month prison sentence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laser jammer Range Rover driver who gave police the finger is handed an eight-month prison sentence Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Man those Brits are serious about speeding and messing with collection of revenue. Big Grin

Obligatory Link

Laser jammer Range Rover driver who gave police the finger is handed an eight-month prison sentence.

Posted on 23 April 2018 at 15:36pm in News stories

A company director who fitted a laser jammer to his Range Rover and made rude gestures as he drove past police safety cameras has been jailed.

Timothy Hill, 67, threw the device in a river behind his home in Grassington when he found out that officers had launched an investigation.

But today he was jailed for eight months at Teesside Crown Court and banned from driving for a year for perverting the course of justice.

Hill drove past North Yorkshire Police’s mobile safety camera vans on the A19 near Easingwold, Thirsk and Crathorne on three occasions in December.

On all three occasions, he was photographed gesturing at the camera with his middle finger. Police also detected a laser jammer on his white Range Rover.

Officers began an investigation and Hill initially lied about where the vehicle was and tried to destroy the jammer.

But after officers visited his home and interviewed him about the incidents, he admitted he had fitted the device to his car.

Police were unable to ascertain his speed but charged him with perverting the course of justice, which he pleaded guilty to at court.

The judge who jailed Hill said such actions “strike at the heart” of the justice system and his sentence must act as a deterrent to others.

Traffic Constable Andrew Forth, who led the investigation for North Yorkshire Police, said afterward: “If you want to attract our attention, repeatedly gesturing at police camera vans with your middle finger while you’re driving a distinctive car fitted with a laser jammer is an excellent way to do it.

“It’s also an excellent way to end up in prison. As Hill’s case shows, perverting the course of justice is a very serious charge which carries a custodial sentence.

“It’s our job to keep road users safe across all 6,000 miles of North Yorkshire’s roads. Mobile safety camera vans are an important tool to do that – they are proven to reduce collisions and they help save lives.

“Drivers who fit laser jammers may mistakenly feel smug about ‘getting one over’ on the police. But we can tell if motorists are using these devices, and we will always endeavour to bring them to justice.”

April 23, 2018

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Because simply slowing down is for squares. Roll Eyes

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
But today he was jailed for eight months at Teesside Crown Court and banned from driving for a year for perverting the course of justice.
Rule, Britannia! Britannia rule the waves!
Britons will never, never, never be slaves!!

Sure, you bet Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I honestly thought I was going to see this face when I opened up the news article LOL

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Not trying to hijack this thread but speaking of the British I recently heard something about a Television tax. Apparently you must pay a unreasonably high tax to watch your TV. It seems there are inspectors driving around looking for antennas and comparing to their database. I heard that someone may turn you in to the government. You’ll get a knock on your door and a person demanding entry to investigate. If you have a TV or even an antenna but no permit then the tax man gets quite miffed and has the power of law to enforce.

Maybe someone with clear knowledge of this can explain.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Several years back in Scotland saw a few speed cameras that had been destroyed by tossing a car tire on the post, filling with petrol, then setting it ablaze.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Not trying to hijack this thread but speaking of the British I recently heard something about a Television tax. Apparently you must pay a unreasonably high tax to watch your TV. It seems there are inspectors driving around looking for antennas and comparing to their database. I heard that someone may turn you in to the government. You’ll get a knock on your door and a person demanding entry to investigate. If you have a TV or even an antenna but no permit then the tax man gets quite miffed and has the power of law to enforce.

That's how the BBC is funded. Television Licence.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Several years back in Scotland saw a few speed cameras that had been destroyed by tossing a car tire on the post, filling with petrol, then setting it ablaze.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Fuck England they just convicted a guy of a hate crime Cause he taught his Pug how to do the Nazi salute as a joke. The only “right” they care about over there is the “right” to not be offended.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I love how they call their speed trap cameras "Police Safety Cameras"

It's all in the verbiage I guess.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:

My son was stationed in England for two years. Yup, TV License required to watch broadcast television OR to stream/record broadcast shows over the internet, including cable and satellite.

Cost is something like £150/year and the employ vans with monitoring equipment to enforce. If you try to cancel your license, they come to your house and do an inspection. If you get caught without a license and you are supposed to have one (which apparently is somewhat common) fines can be as much as £2000.

more info here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...n_the_United_Kingdom

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

Probably got the idea from Winnie Mandela.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3447 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ireland has that as well.

Posts: 6348 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:

That's how the BBC is funded. Television Licence.

It has been that way for decades. We have car taxes. They have TV tax.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
But today he was jailed for eight months at Teesside Crown Court and banned from driving for a year for perverting the course of justice. (bolding mine)

You mean revenue generation. Roll Eyes That's all those cameras are really about, regardless of what country they are in. Personally, I believe them to be in violation of the Sixth Amendment (in the US). Was the signal jamming just momentary, or did it cause damage to the equipment? The punishment, it seems to me, is not proportional to the "crime."

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I honestly thought I was going to see this face when I opened up the news article LOL

No, Jezzer would have held up a Bill Oddie mask.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post