SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for Excam_Man
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Excam_Man Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Which was what exactly?
Seven Days. Exactly seven days Moderated Status for you. You should not be in this thread and you know it. If you continue to defy my directions to you, you jeopardize your posting rights. As it stands now, it will be a week before any new posts from you appear in this forum. Figure it out or suffer the consequences.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
So any way to correlate the MERV and the MPM (Microparticle Performance Rating)? IOW are those 1500MPR filters killing our system that otherwise has 1-2 returns per unit?

1500-1900 MPR is equivalent to a MERV 13 filter.

The type of filter isn't dependent on the number of returns. Having adequate return/supply ducting is more important. Making sure the ducting is capable of moving the amount of air needed to keep the system within specifications. Filter size also comes into play.

Having multiple returns allows for better airflow circulation throughout the home. Take a system which only has one main hallway return. When you close bedroom doors, the air isn't being pulled out by the return. Then the room becomes hot/cold depending on the season. Now take a system with multiple returns, say in every bedroom, living room, etc.... (excluding kitchen/bath/utility and equipment rooms). When you close doors, the return will still be pulling air from the room. Allowing the supply to replace the air to keep the room comfortable.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Is there a standard on how many times you change the air in a room per hour?

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
If you want to start teaching, I suggest you find a student which has less knowledge about the subject at hand then yourself.

You know damn well what you was trying to do with the wording in your first 'paragraph'.
What, you actually have the nerve to question the maven? You are actually challenging SIGforum's expert on everything? Don't you realize that the rowboat captain knows all?

I love it when Jimmy chimes in on things. Big Grin

Always interesting.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

From a residential heating and cooling aspect, not really. It would increase/decrease as the load increases/decreases.

If the home is really tight, you want some circulation to eliminate indoor air quality issues.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
If you want to start teaching, I suggest you find a student which has less knowledge about the subject at hand then yourself.

You know damn well what you was trying to do with the wording in your first 'paragraph'.
What, you actually have the nerve to question the maven? You are actually challenging SIGforum's expert on everything? Don't you realize that the rowboat captain knows all?
I love it when Jimmy chimes in on things. Big Grin

Always interesting.
Yes, it's great to receive an education from The Master. A fountain of knowledge on all topics.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You guys can discuss the subject of this thread, or I can lock it.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You guys can discuss the subject of this thread, or I can lock it.
Undestood. Will stick to the topic. Thank you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

From a residential heating and cooling aspect, not really. It would increase/decrease as the load increases/decreases.

If the home is really tight, you want some circulation to eliminate indoor air quality issues.

This has been an interesting point of conversation between HVAC gurus, HERS raters, and Highly efficient builders like ourselves.

A bit of history first.

Fifteen years ago or so the average home built had anywhere from 7 to 10 Air Exchanges Per Hour ( ACH's). There was a lot of air leakage around windows, doors etc. and the rule of thumb (Please correct me EXCAM) around here was about 600SF of living space per ton of Heating and cooling. So a 3000 SF home would need 5 tons of equipment.

Then the building code started changing and the "green" building movement started gaining momentum. So there was a concerted effort to make homes more efficient and a number of things have been implemented. I won't bore you with all the details.. The code for most of the country (this is state dependent) is now calling for about 5 ACH's or less.

Those of us that are building to ENERGY STAR or other codes are building homes with 3 ACH's or less. The house we just finished measured out to 1.9 and was awarded a Gold rating. It was about 4300 SF and we are heating and cooling it with a 2 ton HVAC system along with a propane furnace.

The problem becomes what to do with all the moisture that you now trap in the house as well as unwanted odors and various off gassing that naturally occurs in a newer home. This is where an Energy Recovery Ventilator (ERV) come into play by taking the stale indoor air and exchanging it with fresh air. Although this piece of equipment is not required by code (at least here in VA) it should be...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Nothing to correct there.
I'll get you my thoughts on the Aprilaire idea later...