SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there such thing as a good handheld vacuum?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there such thing as a good handheld vacuum? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Now that there is a dog in the house vacuuming needs to be done daily.
Lugging the upright around for the stairs and couch is annoying. Is there a solid handheld for stairs and the couch?
That way the boys can do it too.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Yep. That problem has been solved. The Dyson cordless animal. We have 4 dogs including a long hair German Shepherd and a Heeler - two of the hairiest, sheddiest breeds.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/dys...D=730010300002035066

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Former DustBuster owner here. When it died, I switched to the smallest ShopVac model. Good suction, easy to move around, way more capacity and cheaper than a DustBuster.
I like the Dyson, but not 300 + $ worth of like.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I also use a Dyson Animal. (Mine's a V11, but there are some less expensive, older versions too.) Works great for dog hair, and is easy to tote around.

I use it for all my household vacuuming, though I do also have a shop vac for really big stuff, if needed.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Milwaukee M18 compact vacuum is what I use; dog hair may be too much for it. 0882-20 Is the model number.

Here it is

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I also use a Dyson Animal. (Mine's a V11, but there are some less expensive, older versions too.) Works great for dog hair, and is easy to tote around.

I use it for all my household vacuuming, though I do also have a shop vac for really big stuff, if needed.

We got the one listed a little over a year ago (V7) and it does work great, but I think you are correct and the latest and greatest is the V11. They still list the V7, V8 and V10 on their website currently as well.

We have a Roomba for daily vacuuming and use this when needed. So much better than all the other vacuums we have tried - and we've tried a bunch. Love being able to take the tube off and use it on the car, sofa, steps, etc. Dog hair is no problem. Makes life much easier.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Watch Woot for a Dyson Animal Stick vac, it comes with the stick and rug beater head as well as the short one you see above and other attachments.

The power is well beyond any charge on the wall dustbusters, and the run time is good.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shark makes a stick vac that works very well also, but Dyson is the go to one and does a very good job.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Our Shark was great for about 2 years of occasional use.
Now, take it off the charger base & it'll turn on for about 2 seconds before powering down.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Our Shark was great for about 2 years.
Now, take it off the charger base & it'll turn on for about 2 seconds before powering down.

Sounds like the battery is shot.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Moosoo. It is an off brand but it does thejob I need it to do for $100. We have two dogs and hardwood floors and it does a good job so far. Very light at 3 pounds so it is easy to carry around up the stairs.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I use what Bama posted. I don't let our dogs on the couch though. It works great on stairs and in the cars.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I don't let our dogs on the couch though.

Wink Big Grin

- John Adams

posted Hide Post
We use a Makita 18V LXT. A real trooper with descent battery life and good suction. It is brushless.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Our Shark was great for about 2 years.

Sounds like the battery is shot.

Probably. Haven't had the time to try to diagnose/troubleshoot.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I use what Bama posted. I don't let our dogs on the couch though. It works great on stairs and in the cars.

I really don’t plan to either but caught her on the love seat when we came back from lunch.
But even so hair still gets everywhere.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
We have owned numerous Dustbuster brand handhelds but they never worked well.

I bought my wife a handheld Shark per a consumer reports recommendation and it has been great. It has a few attachments including a rotary brush. We've owned it for about 5 years and still going strong.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Ditto!!!

Best cordless Ive ever owned...$299 for the V8 Animal at Costco..

We use it downstairs on the hardwoods and its money!

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Yep. That problem has been solved. The Dyson cordless animal. We have 4 dogs including a long hair German Shepherd and a Heeler - two of the hairiest, sheddiest breeds.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/dys...D=730010300002035066

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

Ours is a 3 dog couch: Smile

For scale, the dog on the left is an Irish Wolfhound, who has just been clipped for hot weather.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Former DustBuster owner here. When it died, I switched to the smallest ShopVac model. Good suction, easy to move around, way more capacity and cheaper than a DustBuster.
I like the Dyson, but not 300 + $ worth of like.

Yep. About thirty bucks at Lowe's. Left hand carries the little vac, right hand has the hose and whatever attachment you want to use. I use it all the time.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post