SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Dow hits 24000 !!! >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Dow hits 24000 !!! >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted
I wonder if Obama will take credit for this ? The economy seems to like the Trump administration !!! God Bless Smile

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/3...x-reform-senate.html

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The last several years, while listening to NPR on the radio to and from work, they used to report the stock market news in such a way as to put a positive face on it. They even spoke in cheery tones while saying things "NASDAQ closed at ______ today, only losing 72 points, an improvement over yesterday's loss of 138 points."

BUT NOW?

It's either a smugly-delivered footnote in the newscast, or spoken in completely neutral tones when they say things like "Today the Dow closed at _____, a record high" and on to the next subject in the same breath.

Barry did his best to run this country into the ground and they did nothing but tongue-bathe him the whole time. The stock market has, to all appearances to a layman, taken off like a damn rocket since Trump won the election and it's like a mouthful of castor oil for the MSM libtards. Well, I say "Drink your medicine, fuckers! Gulp it down and smile!" Big Grin

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Time to go short? Not kidding.

Buy fear and sell euphoria.

IMO if the tax deal passes and there is a big spike as a result, I'll be a seller.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why all the anger at Obama? He did us a great favor. Had he not been elected, Trump would not have been elected. We may have been stuck with a long line of wusses like Jeb!

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
when you analyze the market, you will instantly lose if you let your politics influence your investment decisions. Every time.

Buy extreme fear, and sell euphoria. It is that easy.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Why all the anger at Obama? He did us a great favor. Had he not been elected, Trump would not have been elected. We may have been stuck with a long line of wusses like Jeb!

You know I never thought of it that way. Thank you for opening my mind more !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Time to go short? Not kidding.

Buy fear and sell euphoria.

IMO if the tax deal passes and there is a big spike as a result, I'll be a seller.

You could have said the same thing when the market was at 20K or 21K or 22K or 23K. You're picking a random number out of a hat and saying "this is the time to go short." Maybe you're right...or maybe the market keeps going up for another couple of years without a significant decline. You either need to be exactly right on your timing or have a pretty big bank account to carry the negative mark until it goes your way. A wise man once told me "never short on valuation without a catalyst to bring that valuation down." People who short because they think "it's just too high" inevitably get killed.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The Dow hits 24000!!!

That means that it just has farther to fall. 24000 with a real value of about 12000. There's gonna be a whole lot of people jumping out of windows when this thing comes crashing down.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
The Dow hits 24000!!!

That means that it just has farther to fall. 24000 with a real value of about 12000. There's gonna be a whole lot of people jumping out of windows when this thing comes crashing down.

Hey, look, everyone! Here comes Debbie Downer!

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
27% for the year before the market opened.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
My pension fund looks good

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
same here

my 401k is at an all-time high as are both of my IRA's and Roth

I have always assumed that the people driving want to make money and the best way for that to happen is for the market to go up, but I recall Greenspan and his 'irrational exuberance'

I think the market is overvalued but I bought some EFT's and the market nosedived and they took a hit. I am just about at the break even point on XLE and I think if we get our energy act together it will do as good as Realty Income (thank you Jallen)

I am hunting for a transportation fund that doesn't include airlines (trucks and trains)

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
When the Dow hit 14,000, I sold every stock I had and bought CD's of various maturities paying 4.5%-4.8% and a GE bond paying 6.5%. As the CDs matured I bought back into the stock market at below 8,000. I'm tempted to do it again, but there's no good place to put the money with interest rates as low as they are. Besides, I'd have to pay the capital gains tax.

Serious question, if you sold stocks now, where would you put the money? As a side question, each of my kids has a healthy 529 plan so selling stocks wouldn't incur taxes consequences. They are 7, 9, and 11. When do I start looking at income funds?

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
The Dow hits 24000!!!

Hey, look, everyone! Here comes Debbie Downer!

I have to agree with him. The market's value IS NOT 24,000. Just look at the PE ratio's, they're so far out of wack from what is normal. The main reason the market is so high, is because interest rates are artificially so low. Nobody is reinvesting CD and BONDS that are expiring back into bonds and cd's because the rates are such garbage....so temporarily into the stock market it goes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
When the Dow hit 14,000, I sold every stock I had and bought CD's of various maturities paying 4.5%-4.8% and a GE bond paying 6.5%. As the CDs matured I bought back into the stock market at below 8,000. I'm tempted to do it again, but there's no good place to put the money with interest rates as low as they are. Besides, I'd have to pay the capital gains tax.

Serious question, if you sold stocks now, where would you put the money? As a side question, each of my kids has a healthy 529 plan so selling stocks wouldn't incur taxes consequences. They are 7, 9, and 11. When do I start looking at income funds?

This is where I'm at, I made on average 36% per year from 2008-2013, in Nov 13 I took ALL of my money out of the market and paid cash for my house right before house prices started increasing. Then been stocking cash ever since.....but not making hardly anything on it in safe forms of investment so have it in a money market not making much of anything, waiting for a shoe to drop or interest rates to rise.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Bubbles eventually burst. What goes up must come down. Everyone here knows that. No need to state the obvious. Wink

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Bubbles eventually burst. What goes up must come down. Everyone here knows that. No need to state the obvious. Wink

And yet,... Big Grin

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Gosh, if I had only left the market when it hit 18,000. Hell, I thought "how much higher can it go"?

Thankfully, I have people smarter than me, managing my money.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
We are in a Goldilocks economy.

-low interest rates
-low inflation
-low unemployment
-prettt much every global economy on the planet is hitting or starting to hit on all cylinders.

It will break at some point. Probably about 12-24 months after the tax cut hits which May finally spark inflation which may finally force global financial authorities to tighten more than they want to.

S&p 500 earnings are projected to grow at 12% next year.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post