SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    V-Tail wins! Semi-instant Karma - $25 Fleming's steakhouse gift card
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

V-Tail wins! Semi-instant Karma - $25 Fleming's steakhouse gift card Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
For entry just share one of your most unusual family traditions during the holidays. Can be current family or from your childhood. Bonus points for pics.

So as not to gum up the board too long will select with Karmanator sometime Friday night/Sat morning. No commitment on exact time. Razz

Please be sure you can use this before claiming, they aren't everywhere, and obviously $25 is going to make only a small dent in a tab there!

Locations

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Our tradition is we can't seem to keep or get a tradition going. We have tried for years to start some type of family tradition and have failed every single time. Out latest try is we have a "Christmas Story" Dinner on Christmas Eve. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and red cabbage. This Christmas Eve will be year two, let's hope this one lasts!

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Empty nester here, and a mixed marriage: I am Jewish, wife is not, so we really do not have any sort of tradition now other than sleep in a bit, and have a good dinner.

Earlier years, we would go someplace for skiing, but with advancing age and declining physical ability, we no longer do that, so our current tradition is no tradition, unless that itself is a tradition. My brain hurts now, so I'll stop.

There is a Flemings location in Winter Park FL, maybe fifteen minutes from us. We have never tried it, and the gift card would be incentive to go there. It would not establish a Christmas tradition, since they are closed on Christmas.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
We always had lasagna at Thanksgiving along with the turkey. That was completely normal for an Italian family, but I think it seemed strange to my Mom's parents, who were more traditional. I think lasagna goes well with turkey.

There is a Fleming's in the valley in downtown Salt Lake City.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Ham and Kielbasa were the only two meats on my mothers Christmas dinner table, candied sweet potatoes, and deviled eggs, these were all constants every year that I can recall, oh yeah green bean casserole too, desserts varied from year to year.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Lasagne. HA!

I'm German and married a hot Italian. First time at their house for holiday dinner I am stoked for legit lasagne (my mom is from OH, dad from PA).

I got Stouffer's. No, not something like that, the actual frozen tomato dog crap.

Not a tradition. But I have fixed that shit and can make lasagne!

Bump for run in morning.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Lasagna made by my Grandmother, like her mother who was born in Sicily taught her, with her own homemade sauce.

Nothing compares to her lasagna (sorry, Mom). The funny thing is, she pulled something like what happened to Raymond's wife when she gave her meatball recipe to my Mom. She left an ingredient out (pecorino romano cheese). It took my Mom like 15 years or so to figure out why the recipe never turned out the same. Big Grin

What is your lasagna recipe?

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Karmanator has spoken, V-Tail gets a booster shot at Fleming's. Shoot me your address and I'll get this out this weekend.

quote:
What is your lasagna recipe?

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.

Seriously, it's nothing magical but revolves around everything being fresh and best quality of cheese, etc. coupled with a long simmer on the sauce. You know, as opposed to no-boil noodles, cottage cheese, sauce from a jar and generic gooey mozzarella. Roll Eyes

Of course last time we made it at Thanksgiving my wife was assembling, I was mistakenly in charge of opening the second bottle of wine. As she was putting on top layer I looked around, observed all the unused mozzarella and commented that was a lot of extra left over. Yep, she'd skipped it on every layer other than top. Funny, but still good!

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Seriously, it's nothing magical but revolves around everything being fresh and best quality of cheese, etc. coupled with a long simmer on the sauce. You know, as opposed to no-boil noodles, cottage cheese, sauce from a jar and generic gooey mozzarella. Roll Eyes

Cottage cheese?? Sauce from a jar?? Reminds of the 80's when I asked for a cheese steak at a restaurant in Walt Disney World. They gave me a rib eye with American cheese on it.

My HOA president, who lives across the street, changed his house soffit lights to two green, two white, and two red. At night his house is lit up like a giant Italian flag. I doubt anyone else in the neighborhood noticed, but I feel he did that out of respect for mia famiglia. Smile