SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air Conditioning experts--need advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Conditioning experts--need advice Login/Join 
Picture of SIGguy229
posted
Our attic unit is constantly leaking cold air; as a result, the system freezes up. We've had the local AC guys here 3 times in as many months. Their solution has been to tape and mud where the leaks are coming from, but I feel this is putting band-aid on top of band-aid.

Is there a "more better" solution other than to tape & mud the leaks? BTW--the leaks are still happening in the same places we've taped & mudded before.

All other parts of the system are working just fine--maybe too good? All pressures for coolant are fine.

During the day, the unit is set to 74F; at night, 72F..and we are in South Carolina.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a little uclear as to where the leaks are. Can you provide more details?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Leaks are where the hoses attach to the main unit and the air handling unit and the chiller coils (I’m not well-versed in terminology). Basically along any/all seams

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok that helps. I think that should make it easier for the experts to figure out.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me run through what you stated:

quote:
Air conditioning coil is freezing up.
The ducting is not sealed.

The the so called heating and cooling company told you this is why it is freezing up?

Bullshit.

quote:
All pressures for coolant are fine.

Not likely.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally if a unit is freezing up, your either low on Freon, or have inadequate air flow across the coils from a dirty filter/coils or restriction. Leaking ductwork should not cause the unit to freeze up. Find a different a/c company.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

quote:

The the so called heating and cooling company told you this is why it is freezing up?

Bullshit.

quote:

Not likely.

^^^This, but it's pretty good odds for me to side with an expert...

Leaking air out of supply side won't do a damn thing. You could literally duct the main trunk out the back of your house to cool your patio and it wouldn't change a thing with how your coils work. Restricting return side would. Do you have a crushed return or dirty filter? If not I'd check freon levels.

Leaking returns plus low freon would be my guess. If you suck in hot super humid air there's more water to freeze and if freon is low coils would be extra cold. Bad combo.

Don't focus on supply side focus on return plus freon.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Questions:

How long have you lived there?
If you've lived there for awhile, is this the first time you've had problems?
Is the air filter clean?
Have you changed to a more restrictive air filter?

Several reasons for an evap to freeze up.

Low airflow due to one or more of the following:
Dirty filter
Restrictive filter
Dirty evap
Dirty squirrel cage
Weak blower motor
Blower not running
Inadequate supply/return ducting

Refrigerant issues:
Restriction in refrigerant system
Low refrigerant

Electrical issues:
Sticking or Stuck contactor
Bad stat, not shutting down at set temp

Other:
Low outdoor temp without a low ambient kit installed

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Leaking returns plus low freon would be my guess. If you suck in hot super humid air there's more water to freeze and if freon is low coils would be extra cold. Bad combo.

The plus, being the key.
As a leaking return is letting in hot humid air, which is adding to the overall heat load, warming the coil.

There has to be something else going on to allow the coil to reach freezing temps in the first place.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Wow. Simply amazing a HVAC company couldn't fix the problem in three service calls. Please tell me you didn't pay them three times. I think step one in solving your problem is to find a new HVAC company.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
YEP.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Wow. Simply amazing a HVAC company couldn't fix the problem in three service calls. Please tell me you didn't pay them three times. I think step one in solving your problem is to find a new HVAC company.

Twice would be good for me. Tape and mud??? Silicon and/or good quality foil tape would be the correct solution to solve leaks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Tape and mud???

I'm assuming foil tape and mastic translates to a homeowners tape and mud. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Silicon and/or good quality foil tape would be the correct solution to solve leaks.

Yeah. That is why I asked where the leaks were. I thought maybe the wall. Sounds like you got him on the right path.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
"Leaks are where the hoses attach to the main unit and the air handling unit and the chiller coils (I’m not well-versed in terminology). Basically along any/all seams"

On the intake side or the exit side?

Are any of the exit ducts restricted by the flappers in the rooms or completely shut off? Something blocking the inside of those ducts causing low air flow and higher air pressure between the air handler and the end of the ducts?

Sounds like the fan is creating enough pressure to force the leaks if the tape is properly installed and keeps coming off enough to leak. Go to each duct and see if the air seems to be blowing out into the room with the flapper full open.
I agree, something is restricting the airflow causing the freezing coils but the need to keep resealing the ductwork sounds like it's on the exit side of the air handler system, not the return side.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Bullshit.

quote:

Not likely.

Thanks for your unhelpful post.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Where are you located in SC?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Questions:

How long have you lived there?
If you've lived there for awhile, is this the first time you've had problems?
Is the air filter clean?
Have you changed to a more restrictive air filter?

Several reasons for an evap to freeze up.

Low airflow due to one or more of the following:
Dirty filter
Restrictive filter
Dirty evap
Dirty squirrel cage
Weak blower motor
Blower not running
Inadequate supply/return ducting

Refrigerant issues:
Restriction in refrigerant system
Low refrigerant

Electrical issues:
Sticking or Stuck contactor
Bad stat, not shutting down at set temp

Other:
Low outdoor temp without a low ambient kit installed

This is our second year in the house. Didn't have a problem last year.
Air Filters have been replaced every 2-3 months
Blower is blowing
Coils replaced in June
System is 10-11 years old

As far as refrigerant--I only know what the A/C guy is telling me.

The A/C guy charged me for the first visit--as I went through my home warranty service. I have not been charged for the last two visits.

Sounds like I should try a different A/C company.

Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Where are you located in SC?

Sent you a PM

Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
"Leaks are where the hoses attach to the main unit and the air handling unit and the chiller coils (I’m not well-versed in terminology). Basically along any/all seams"

On the intake side or the exit side?

Are any of the exit ducts restricted by the flappers in the rooms or completely shut off? Something blocking the inside of those ducts causing low air flow and higher air pressure between the air handler and the end of the ducts?

Sounds like the fan is creating enough pressure to force the leaks if the tape is properly installed and keeps coming off enough to leak. Go to each duct and see if the air seems to be blowing out into the room with the flapper full open.
I agree, something is restricting the airflow causing the freezing coils but the need to keep resealing the ductwork sounds like it's on the exit side of the air handler system, not the return side.

Exit side leaks. All flappers are fully open and air flow volume appears to be the same.