New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honeymoon Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My waitress at Kaiserhof, my favorite San Diego restaurant, told me today that she was going on her honeymoon next week. A bit later, it occurred to me that "honeymoon" is a peculiar word. I checked a couple of on-line dictionaries, and found no satisfying explanation of its etymology. Just an odd word.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will hazard a guess and say it is because viewing your honey's moon is now legally binding.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
It is based upon the process of making mead from fermented honey for a wedding celebration. It takes a month to make, hence the word honey+moon. Honey for mead and a moon (month) to make it.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is based upon the process of making mead from fermented honey for a wedding celebration. It takes a month to make, hence the word honey+moon. Honey for mead and a moon (month) to make it.

Thanks, I was wondering about the word; we're in Maui (again) and I've been describing our trip as a second honeymoon.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:

Ah, so. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Merriam-Webster states that the etymology stems "from the idea that the first month of marriage is the sweetest"

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post