SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VW people... tell me about a 2012 Passat TDi please
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VW people... tell me about a 2012 Passat TDi please Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I did find in something I read this week that you can hold down the Setup button for a few seconds and get to the radio information. It's an RNS315. My struggle now is changing the "home" address in the nav system. I can put a new address in it and press the Save button, but it doesn't retain the new info. I'll spend some more time with that today.

Thank you for the link, petr. I'm headed there next.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I dropped by the local VW dealer today. Three strikes and I'm out, I suppose.

* No build history available
* No service history available
* No luck resetting the "home" location in the nav.

I did go ahead and fill the tank this afternoon. So far, 35.9 mpg. Cool

- - - - - -

I've considered sending a letter to the address currently in the nav system's "home" location, asking for available history on the car, plus whether the second key and valet key were present when they sold it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Have you tried this?

For VW customers with product-related questions or comments, please contact the VW Information Center at 1-(800) 374-8389

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the VIN? You can email it to me in my profile if you don't want it to be public.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Have you tried this?

For VW customers with product-related questions or comments, please contact the VW Information Center at 1-(800) 374-8389

I haven't yet, but will on Monday. Thank you, V-tail.

Email incoming, petr.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
In the emails I sent, I didn't know how and what buttons to push. In looking further it looks to be similar to our Audi. You need to access the Navigation by pressing the NAV button on the side of the screen. You then press the SETUP button on the side of the screen. Scroll using the knob below the screen and push it to select the highlighted option showing on the screen. As far as entering text I don't know if you touch the screen or scroll with the knob. That should get you what you need done.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
It's a touch screen, in combination with the knob.
And it's evidently as stubborn as my dog... I can tell either of them what to do, and neither of them does it. Razz

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Frustrating I know. I am the same way as if it's there, I want the damn thing to work.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I had a nice online chat with VW this morning. Couldn't diagnose the nav system from [wherever "Janet" was] but the recommendation -- after verifying I had taken all the right steps already, including using the factory reset button -- was that I see a dealer about it. I'll head to the not-as-local Veedub dealer soon and ask them to take another look at it.

Next mission: acquiring replacement spare keys/fobs. Should be fun! Roll Eyes Big Grin

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Okay, y'all, I've got a new question: the car tells me it wants some more AdBlue; is that the same thing as BlueDEF? Any compatibility issues?

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Yup. Same thing, different manufacturer.

posted Hide Post
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=399736

Says here as long as you use quality def that meets VW standards you are good to go.

Under the diesel gate lawsuit, I think it's free at the dealer. Check into it first. I know Audi has it in writing. I'm not sure if there are any stipulations though.

posted Hide Post
How's the car treating you?

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, petr... that's the article I read just a few minutes ago. Looks like as long as the stuff meets the ISO spec, it's good to go.

Last week was a 1600-mile week, on 2-1/2 tanks; I just filled the tank a couple of hours ago. The last 642 miles (one tank) rang in at just under 41 mpg. This car makes a third of its own payment just in fuel cost savings. I'm loving it for that.

All in all, the car is treating me well. I'm trying to do the same for it. I've learned a few things:
1) it's impossible to both reach and twist the passenger-side DRL bulb holder. Evidently that job requires the strength of an MMA fighter and the hand size of a five-year-old. Driver's side? Easy. Passenger's side? Impossible. (Can't wait to get the Vag-com or OBD-eleven gadget and disable them altogether.)
2) there's no leaving an intersection in a hurry. If you even think about thinking about "do I have time to pull out safely before that car gets here?" then you don't have time. Engine speed needs to be about 2000 rpm before the car is willing to "go in a hurry." Put the shifter in Sport mode and nail it, and you'll look like a jerk, spinning wheels and throwing gravel.
3) the long mountain climb (Interstate highway) I do periodically is a blast! I can run at the speed limit or +5 easily, and engine speed is roughly 2200-2500 rpm. What a change from my SUV!
4) the trunk is "yuge!" While packing for the most recent road trip, I noticed that every time I put something in the trunk and pushed it forward, there was a ton more room. It's like the back end of a trash truck or something! Big Grin

I still can't get the nav system to do anything but work against me. It still thinks "home" is over near NoVa, despite my poking the factory reset button. And if I program it with an address and start the route, then take a pit stop along the way, when I resume moving it tosses the address I gave it and assumes I want to go "home" to NoVa. There's a map update available for it, for $128, but it's already outdated (2018). I just keep my Garmin handy. (Side note: the speedometer reads a bit slow, as compared with what Garmin tells me my speed is. Set the cruise on 70, and Garmin tells me 74.)

I did finally get a spare key cut. That is, just enough to get me into the car if I manage to lock myself out. The dealer won't program it for me (didn't buy it from them). I found a place nearby that says they can probably program it, but due to the virus situation they have to park the car for 24 hours before they can even touch it. I don't have time to leave it with them for two days right now.

It's not the Q50 Red Sport 400 I've been wanting for so long, but it's not 700 bucks a month, either. Cool

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
I wish I was closer to you to check out that nav system. There has to be something, other than a hammer, to fix it.

For that light bulb maybe a spark plug boot pliers would work? Might be long and skinny enough to get in there.

VW does have enough trunk space for sure. Our old Jetta had plenty of room when we went grocery shopping.

I am glad that the car is treating you well. Most here say to run away from a VW, but you did some homework and it paid off for you.

posted Hide Post
Past TDI owner tip: Best Diesel fuel I used was Chevron D2 which gave me the highest MPG. Carry old work gloves in trunk to use when fueling up, as Diesel fuel on hands stinks.....and be careful you don't step on spilled Diesel fuel.

Look for AD Blue at Wallymart where it's a lot cheaper.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
and be careful you don't step on spilled Diesel fuel.

Yuck. I've done that once. Roll Eyes I wonder if that's the reason the "monster mats" were standard-issue.

Petr: have you gotten the Ross-Tech gadget? I've got a friend at work with an Audi... we're mighty tempted to grab either a Ross-Tech or an OBD-Eleven soon.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
I have not yet picked up a Ross-Tech. I am saving some cash and this covids crap screwed things up. Soon though...

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Totally understood. This craziness has stalled a lot of plans....

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Did you get my reply email? I think it sent but is showing a draft, but also that it sent. IDK. Crazy computer.