SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VW people... tell me about a 2012 Passat TDi please
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VW people... tell me about a 2012 Passat TDi please Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Also, Ross Tech has a forum for questions and answers. As I do not have one I do not know all of the ins and outs yet. However, I do know an Audi tech that was helping in the development of the software and he said it is easy to navigate and use.

If you want a service/ repair manual for your car. Either erWin or alldata The erWin is what the VW dealer uses. VW does some funky stuff putting their cars together and this explains how to take things apart without breaking them. You can buy a plan for one day and you can download everything onto a flash drive or your computer to reference it when you need it. Step by step instructions and illustrations for repairs. Bentley publishing used to publish an actual book, but they stopped around 2009. That book for a Jetta we had saved me hundreds of dollars. As a matter of fact, we may be getting another Jetta so I'm glad I hung on to it.

Do not be afraid to tackle any repairs or maintenance on your own especially with a manual. The VW forums and YouTube can get you through too, I just prefer having these things on hand and official. You never know what is hacked on YouTube. You will also save the $120 an hour shop fee most dealers a re charging these days. Of course you could find an independent shop that specializes in Dubs and go that route cheaper.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, petr. I see alldatadiy.com as well.

I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, though sometimes hesitant to tackle a repair without some good guidance. Thirty bucks for a year sounds like a screaming bargain! Heck, the old Chilton manuals and such used to cost $15-20, if I remember right.

No doubt, dealer shop rates are crazy expensive these days. (The logic I hear is that dealers are giving such heavy sales incentives that they have to make back that money in the service departments.) Saving $120/hour is a huge thing for me.

For the things I can't tackle myself, I do have a longtime and well-respected VW/Audi shop nearby. I need to go visit them one day soon and get acquainted.

Looking at the Ross Tech goods (and upcoming expenses), is the $200 Hex-V2 (plus software) all I'd need in order to get started tinkering?

Similar but different: I saw on Amazon a gadget called Carista... are you familiar with it? It's $30 plus a subscription ($40 for a year or 10 for a week).

God bless America.

Posts: 13378 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carista is what some use. But I understand it doesn't do everything the Ross Tech does, and it needs a subscription. The Ross Tech is the standard that everyone else is trying to copy. Yes, the $200 one will do everything the top of the line one will do. It will cover up to 3 V.I.N.'s but you can buy an upgrade to cover up to 10 if you need to, all without a subscription. Buy once, cry once type of thing. The top models offer unlimited V.I.N.'s, but are mostly for mechanics and such that will use it on multiple cars.

The forum they have you can find the coding needed to turn on and off certain features. For instance if you wanted to turn your daytime running lights off, and such. I do not know if Carista has that kind of "support" or not. Speaking of which, actual employees of Ross Tech are on their forums to answer questions. You can also see if anyone local to you has one to borrow or swap with a case of beer or whatever. Most in the VW/ Audi/ Porsche world are great people and willing to share or lend a hand when needed.

I suggest you check Ross Tech out and Carista and see if one is better than the other and go from there. Personally, I'm going with the Ross Tech when I get some extra cash.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh! As far as tinkering goes. BE CAREFUL!!! You can also screw things up bad. They recommend making a copy of the standard set up in case you mess up so you don't need a tow to the dealer. There are no stupid questions.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Buy once, cry once [snip] Personally, I'm going with the Ross Tech when I get some extra cash.

Having looked over the reviews, I think I'm with you: store up some cash and go Ross Tech.

quote:
Oh! As far as tinkering goes. BE CAREFUL!!! You can also screw things up bad. They recommend making a copy of the standard set up in case you mess up so you don't need a tow to the dealer.

Point taken! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13378 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'd love to be able to find/download a copy/reproduction of the car's Monroney label so as to know exactly the options it got (I'm still discovering features). Can the local VW dealer print a build sheet or something like it?

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
The big white sticker in your owner's manual or in the trunk where the spare tire is. It is a bunch of 3 letter/number combos. You can Google what they mean. Vwvortex might have the list available too.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, petr!
I'll have a look shortly.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Any luck?

posted Hide Post
I just got my scanner from Ross tech a few days ago. With all sports being cancelled for the next 2 weeks I will have plenty of time to play with it! I'll post on here when I get it setup.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be great! Let us know the pros and cons and simplicity of it please.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any luck?

Sort of.

I spent a while tonight turning "workshop" back into "garage" so I could get the new toy indoors. Afterward, I pulled (and reinflated) the spare tire, finding the sticker in the spare tire well.

Well... most of the sticker.

Using the link you provided (thank you!) here's the list I get:

PRCode: 0ES = Installation differentiation for transmission DQ250 vehicle components
PRCode: 3FE = Electric slide/tilt sunroof with sun screen/sunblind
PRCode: 3PB = Left seat with electric seat adjustment right seat manually height-adjustable
PRCode: 3YR = Door pockets with insert mats
PRCode: 4ZG = Chrome-plated moldings
PRCode: 7GB = Emission standard ULEV 2
PRCode: 7QA = Without CD/DVD for navigation
PRCode: 7T8 = Navigation system RNS315 NAR
PRCode: 8AY = Radio/navigation system
PRCode: 8GV = Alternator 180 A
PRCode: 9WC = Without Multimedia in vehicle
PRCode: A8C = Comfort equipment
PRCode: C0J = Alloy wheels 8J x 18
PRCode: D91 = 4-cyl. turbo diesel engine 2.0 l/103 kW (4V) TDI common rail; Base engine: TG3/ TJ3/TU3/TU4/TL4/TP4/TM3/TW3/TR4/TS1/TN5
PRCode: G1A = 6-speed automatic transmission
PRCode: H1M = All-weather tires 235/45 R18 94H (NAR)
PRCode: J1D = Battery 380 A (72 Ah)
PRCode: N0C = Leatherette seat covering
PRCode: TN5 = 4-cylinder diesel engine 2.0 l unit 03L.T

S'pose there's another copy of that label somewhere else in the car?

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Ah damn. Any luck with the owner's manual?

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if a VW dealer can get the information or not. It's worth a call to them to find out though.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I didn't see anything in the owner's manual, but I'm going to look again.

The nearest VW dealer is roughly 40 miles off. I could be tempted to cruise over there tomorrow morning and see what they can tell me.

I need to price a spare key as well -- this car only came with one key/fob assembly.

I'm wondering next: where to find a copy of the 2012 Passat brochure online?

- - - - -
Edit: Found it!
http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/...agen/2012-passat.pdf

- - - - -

I also learned tonight that it has automatic cornering lamps. That's a neat touch!

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
It should be right inside the front cover of I remember right. The cruise would only be 2 gallons of fuel...

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Hm. No sticker in the manual.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
https://www.vweosclub.com/thre...sheet-missing.35652/

By reading this, the dealer should be able to assist you. See about the radio code too if it isn't int the manual. You used to be able to pull the radio to get it from them, but that may have changed to needing a scan. Ask while you're there.