SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VW people... tell me about a 2012 Passat TDi please
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VW people... tell me about a 2012 Passat TDi please Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thank you, mholmes.

Though I bristle at Rhino's pessimism, warranty is a question I haven't been able to answer today. I can't find a thing on the dealer's site mentioning warranty coverage. I'll find out more about that when I get there in the morning.

I'm absolutely loving the idea of such a "yuge" fuel economy improvement. This particular car has the automatic, so I'm not sure how that will compare to your 6-speed, but even at 35 or so it's a tremendous improvement.

I'll have more questions....

Were BOTH emission fixes done to the car, as the origonal owner got the cash. Some $7K, I believe.

Also, I was informed by VW when I owned my 2015 Golf TDI, the extended warranty from VW on the emission system was up to 165,000 miles. Has that changed?

It's odd the TDI you're interested in has sat on the lot for several months. In Arizona, the used TDI for sale get snapped up quickly.

AKA fuel mileage, I saw 56MPG on the car computer and the Garmin GPS mileage numbers were just a couple of miles off the ODO.

I enjoyed my Golf until neighborhood pack rats lunched on the wiring (email me for the fix to that issue) and the A/C compressor went KAPUT one hot July Sunday. If I could do it over again, I would have bought a fully loaded Passat and kept it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Warranty is something I'm still not clear on.

What I think I know is this:
- based on vwdiesellookup.com, the car has had its emissions work done and has an "Extended Emissions warranty that runs for 10 years and 3 months past the original in-service date." By the calendar, that would run to September of 2022.
- "In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years and 3 months or 51,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification." This one was fixed last September. By the calendar that coverage would run to December of 2023.
- I'm not sure how those two coverages overlap.
- I don't have even a guess as to why this car has only had 150 or so miles put on since the emissions fix.

- As for bumper-to-bumper, powertrain, body, or other "normal" kinds of coverage, I have yet to find any information. It will cost me a trip to that dealer tomorrow to get clarification on that.

I'm looking forward to driving it, and I've made the economics work (on paper, at least). I haven't really been [i]ready[/] to buy another car, but warranty/maintenance issues aside, I've figured out how to make the "monthly math" come out right.

GW: I'll certainly be in touch about your no-rat plan if I bring this car home.

I did learn earlier this evening that the 60K-mile service runs about $400.

Somewhere in my reading I saw mention of a second battery. Do the diesels use two? Where's the second one located?

God bless America.

Posts: 13378 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just remember seeing the one under the hood. Very easy access.

Posts: 183 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There aren't any service records showing in that report. You can contact your local VW dealer and they can tell you verbally if any service and what was done at any dealer. They can not give you a printed copy of this information as it is against the law. Privacy act and stuff. A Carfax gives you any service information that was entered.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you, mholmes.

Though I bristle at Rhino's pessimism, warranty is a question I haven't been able to answer today. I can't find a thing on the dealer's site mentioning warranty coverage. I'll find out more about that when I get there in the morning.

I'm absolutely loving the idea of such a "yuge" fuel economy improvement. This particular car has the automatic, so I'm not sure how that will compare to your 6-speed, but even at 35 or so it's a tremendous improvement.

I'll have more questions....

my 2002 beetle tdi was an automatic. It got great fuel mileage. It was slow on the takeoff and sluggish, but would get to highway speed (70+) and climb hills without dropping power.

I replaced it with the 2012 Golf (same chassis different body than the beetle). The beetle had the 1.8 liter and the Golf has the 2.0 liter engine, and the Golf is a six speed manual versus a four speed automatic.

I haven't ever put DEF fluid in my Golf and I get an average of 40MPH per gallon, but most of my driving is freeway or two lane highway.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Warranty is something I'm still not clear on.

What I think I know is this:
- based on vwdiesellookup.com, the car has had its emissions work done and has an "Extended Emissions warranty that runs for 10 years and 3 months past the original in-service date." By the calendar, that would run to September of 2022.
- "In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years and 3 months or 51,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification." This one was fixed last September. By the calendar that coverage would run to December of 2023.
- I'm not sure how those two coverages overlap.
- I don't have even a guess as to why this car has only had 150 or so miles put on since the emissions fix.

- As for bumper-to-bumper, powertrain, body, or other "normal" kinds of coverage, I have yet to find any information. It will cost me a trip to that dealer tomorrow to get clarification on that.

I'm looking forward to driving it, and I've made the economics work (on paper, at least). I haven't really been [i]ready[/] to buy another car, but warranty/maintenance issues aside, I've figured out how to make the "monthly math" come out right.

GW: I'll certainly be in touch about your no-rat plan if I bring this car home.

I did learn earlier this evening that the 60K-mile service runs about $400.

Somewhere in my reading I saw mention of a second battery. Do the diesels use two? Where's the second one located?

My 2012 Golf has a single battery.

The warranty on mine was extended to 140,000 miles, and I have had both warranty fixes done. I purchased this car used in Feb 2017.

I will buy another.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well, my VW peeps... I bought it.

I went to have a look this morning, and was unable to talk myself out of it. It fits me very well, has the features I want (though it comes without Homelink, darnit), and drives and handles nicely.

I was able to add in a 5-year, 100K mile warranty for not much extra coin -- that was a YUGE thing for me, as I put on a bunch of miles each year. Letting the Vee-dub take on "daily driver" status will prolong the life of my SUV, and that's a good thing too. The old SUV will remain the workhorse of the fleet.

It's time to do some more learning, for sure, though.
- Can Homelink be added easily?
- Can I disable (or put a switch in line with) the DRLs? (I hate those things.)
- How to make the console storage box less squeaky?
- Where to get a spare key made (inexpensively)?
- How soon can I get myself to the VW dealer nearby and ask for the [verbal] list of prior service?

God bless America.

Posts: 13378 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! When my mkv Jetta is running normally it's a great car. I think you made a great choice on the TDI version.

As for the DRLs - you need VCDS. I finally broke down and placed an order from Ross Tech last week as a matter of fact. Disabling my DRLs will be the first thing I do!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Looks nice!
quote:
Check at your local Ace Hardware store.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Congrats! When my mkv Jetta is running normally it's a great car. I think you made a great choice on the TDI version.

As for the DRLs - you need VCDS. I finally broke down and placed an order from Ross Tech last week as a matter of fact. Disabling my DRLs will be the first thing I do!

Thank you! And please let me know how the DRL-disabling goes.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Looks nice!
quote:
Check at your local Ace Hardware store.

And thank you, V-Tail. Given the shape of this key, I'm not sure that's within Ace's machine's capabilities. It's like this:

In addition, the fob with this car includes the remote start button. I'm having a tough time finding such online (scared to death it's going to be a "dealer item"), and I'm sure it's not cheap.

God bless America.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Nice find! I always have my eyes open for super cheap Golf TDI with manual trans.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
This company is located near me and made a 2nd key for my 2018 Jeep Wrangler and it has auto start. Dealer paid for the key but it was $120. Not sure if they can help but it would be a place to start.

https://carkeysexpress.com/

Posts: 4661 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, doublesharp.

I see one of their vans in my neighborhood about once a week. I checked the web site, but it returns zilch for a '12 Passat.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
Nice ride! As for the dtrl being turned off, you need the Ross Tech scanner. You can also then use the key fob to open and close all of your windows instead of inserting the key. If you have the rain sensing wipers, you may also be able to have the car close the windows if it starts raining while you are in the gun shop. All by programming with the Ross Tech.

The key however might be available from the dealer only. The car needs to be programmed to accept the key, otherwise the anti-theft kicks in and won't start.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
We have a 2014 1.8 TSI and love it; we will probably trade it for a new one in the next couple of years (no hurry).

There is a tranche of 2012-2015 Passat TDIs at VW dealers now -- they were bought back by VW after the Big Scandal, stored in giant lots for a few years, and are now being reintroduced to the market by the company. The software has been re-set to pass emissions testing, and although they do not get quite the high mileage that was originally advertised, they get very decent mileage.

Getting the supplemental warranty is brilliant - diesels run forever, until they don't, and when they don't they are expensive to fix.

Just remember you should keep the AdBlue tank full. The VW dealer sells the fluid, and you can get it a little cheaper elsewhere. Without it, the diesel will run, but pollute a lot more.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
This Passat has built-in navigation... how does one keep that up-to-date? (I'm used to my [very portable] Garmin unit that's super easy -- and free -- to update.)

- - - -

Edit: found it! It's a $124 SD card... and the current version is 2018. Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Petr and AirmanJeff, I'm way curious now about these Ross Tech devices. Do you guys have them? Got experience with them?

As I keep saying, "I've got a lot of learning to do...."

God bless America.

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Spare key without electronics from the dealer was $75.00 from the dealer. The key fob with key is about $300.00 from the dealer.

And guess what, the dealer is the only place I know of to get the keys made.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I think I found the remote (without remote start capability) on Rock Auto. PN is 5K0837202RINF... $130. I haven't found a bare key yet, and I do want one of those for simple entry to the car.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
I do not have one yet. I do know that the Ross Tech is hooked up to either a lap top or you can get one to pair with a phone. The program is free to download and use. They have different dongles available to cover a different amount of V.I.N.'s for the special features to "unlock". In order to scan your car for diagnostic purposes you do not need to enter a V.I.N..