SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VW people... tell me about a 2012 Passat TDi please
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VW people... tell me about a 2012 Passat TDi please Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good afternoon, SF.

A couple of nights ago I stumbled across a dealer near me who's got a 2012 Passat SE with the diesel, 54K miles. I'm way tempted.

It's not the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport I really want, but it's a whole bunch more affordable and the fuel mileage is roughly twice that of my daily driver. I don't have any previous VW experience, and I know there are a few VW fans here. What do you know? like? recommend? advise against? totally hate?

I'm a [relatively] high-mileage guy -- I put on about 15K to 17K miles per year -- so the fuel economy thing really gets my attention. Diesel costs about 25% more per gallon in my area; I'm clear on that. But when the MPG is roughly double, my math comes up with a fuel savings of roughly $800/year if I switch. Now, to be fair, I wouldn't give up my SUV altogether, so the savings would be a bit less, but still....

I know I can't justify the purchase on the basis of fuel economy alone, because I'll have to add back the costs of insurance and taxes and maintenance. But I've reached that "gray area" where the SUV is in the service bay more often than it should be while I'm still not ready (at over 300K miles) to give it up. If I bought it, I'd run the Passat for everyday use, and keep the SUV around for winter and the towing/hauling days.

But back to the point: I'm curious your opinions on the Passat in general, the TDi engine, any additional use/maintenance considerations, and things like that. What do you say?

Thanks, SF.

God bless America.

Posts: 13378 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If I were to consider a (another) VW, I would go for the TDI engine in a heartbeat.

That said, I'm not sure that I would ever buy another VW unless it had a 100% warranty that included a loaner vehicle.

My last VW was a Passat, bought new. Nice vehicle, I liked driving it, butI think that I drove loaners more than I drove my own. It was constantly at a VW dealer for warranty repairs, almost all of them electrical, including things like windows that stopped working, door locks, battery charging system, radio problems, and of course the major tire controversy. To their credit, VW did take care of everything and provided me with a no-cost loaner, but it was a royal pain in the ass, not being able to use my own car.

I dumped it the week that the warranty expired, figuring that I would not be able to afford to feed its repair appetite. Traded it for a one year old used GMC Jimmy that gave me decent service.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
What year was your Passat, V-Tail?

God bless America.

Posts: 13378 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest you go here first to find if the Emission mods were done to the car and when and who got the VW $$$$ rebate for the mods. There were two parts to the fix, software and hardware... Also find the warranty extention data on the emission fix and get it in WRITING... Some dealers will hide the info and pocket the $$$ for the second fix...

https://www.vwdieselinfo.com

The VW TDI is a fine car when you don't have any problems with it.

EDIT: beware of Pack rats who will feed on the VW wiring. And find this site with a ton of TDI Info...

https://www.tdiclub.com/

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
TDi you say, I got stories to tell.

2010 Audi Q7TDi, ran like a champ until the high pressure fuel pump on the fule rail died and spit itself into every cylinder.

Audi covered the $24,000 bill under their CPO warranty, new motor, new fuel and new exhaust systems put in the car. I wasn't willing to drive it a day past the warranty after that experience although I had no issues with it. Went with a Q5 gasser which was fast as hell but not enough space.

Enter 2015 Q7 TDi to the picture. Also a CPO car. Car runs like a beast. I have had it since 2016, got it with 5000 miles, now I have 55,000 on it. Runs like a champ. However, in the meantime I needed to get the car compliant with the EPA who shortly after I bought it hammered Audi/VW/Porsche with massive fines. Audi sent me a check for $12,500 for their class action suit. I agreed to have the car modified, it burns more AdBlue now, (Blue Def same thing).

But this car is amazing. Not a single complaint. My wife can get 36-37mpg on it while highway cruising . I get closer to 30. You can put the cruise control on at 95, and the car just hums with the lower RPM of the diesel.

As far as the motor itself, its all but bullet proof. My first one did have a major issue, it is a high pressure fuel pump and I would recommend changing it the day you buy the car. Its a few hundred dollars and you are done.

The part itself was defective pot metal from mexico, that has since been fixed but to avoid what I went through it seems like a good precaution.

https://repairpal.com/tdi-hpfp...strophic-failure-408

Also avoid biodiesel. I recall the Mercedes and BMW techs in the 2015ish years saying not to put it in their diesel motors. (My dad had a Merc Diesel.) That seems to be a common theme in the high pressure fuel pump failures

If it were me I would buy the car.
let me know I you have any questions

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5127 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the links, GW. By the first link, the emissions modification has been done (last September, and only a hundred or so miles back -- looks like it's been in inventory for a while). The Extended Emissions Warranty runs 51 months or 51K miles "from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification.)

And I'm surfing tdiclub.com now. Cool

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
My first one did have a major issue, it is a high pressure fuel pump and I would recommend changing it the day you buy the car. Its a few hundred dollars and you are done.

The part itself was defective pot metal from mexico, that has since been fixed but to avoid what I went through it seems like a good precaution.

Thanks, Timdogg!

You mention pot metal... this pump assembly on Rock Auto appears to be plastic. Am I looking at the wrong thing?
Is that an owner-can-do kind of job, or a dealer's-gotta-do-it kind of job?

God bless America.

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I purchased a VW Golf TDI a couple years ago. I did have to have a repair done to the exhaust (under warranty), but other than that it has been a great car.

Oil changes at 5000 miles with synthetic, rotate my tires when I get oil changed, and I get an average of 40mph.

The six speed manual transmission is a blast to drive.

This car replaced a 2002 TDI beetle that was hit by another driver.

I will buy another TDI Golf when the time comes.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it have a Carfax? Check on VW's webpage and it may have any service that was done at a dealer there. Our Audi does.

If you do get it, pick up a RossTech scan tool or find someone local that had one. VW has some hidden features that you can change. If it has an electronic parking brake you will need one to change brake pads on your own.

Most people will tell you to stay away. Maintenance and service costs are expensive if you go to the dealer. If you work on them yourself it is much cheaper. We have had a few Dubs and Audi's and really have not had any more issues than the POS Chevy Equinox that we are scrapping.

Do your homework and make an educated decision with the forums listed previously.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Does it have a Carfax? Check on VW's webpage and it may have any service that was done at a dealer there.

There's not Carfax, but similar: Experian's AutoCheck. (link)

God bless America.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I put 312,000 miles on a 2003 TDI.

But that engine was quite different. I’d still consider it though.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 2015 Jetta TDI just over a year ago that was "repaired" by VW. It's a CPO and I doubt I'll own it past the warranty, it's given me zero problems, but I don't want to have to worry about it down the road. I've put about 18k miles on it so far, I've seen 55+ mpg on the interstate according to the computer. Did a 620 mile trip last year and when I parked it at my destination, I had just under a quarter tank of fuel left.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My wife had a Golf TDI, decent car...never got better than 41mpg but we have lead feet.

Only issue was a a well known (but I forget what it was) issue that VW would not admitt to being an issue.

Dealer cut us a deal, the $3k job ended up being $1.5k.

Then VW bought it back at 107K for $15k....pretty good
deal in my mind.

Great driving car and really comfy, easily broke 100mph but beyond 110mph the front end got light

Looking another oil burner but a used 328ix or an A6 this time....but I might go with a GTI just because of tge hatchback and they are so nice to drive.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know beans about a TDI but I just wanted to jump in on the diesel love. We're on our third diesel and couldn't be happier. Sorry for the thread hijack Big Grin

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
VWs are great until the warranty expires.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
You're always a ray of sunshine, Rhino.

God bless America.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
You're always a ray of sunshine, Rhino.

Sample size of 1, but ours fell apart after the warranty and if you enjoy $375 repair bills for $12.99 sensors in the middle of the engine, have at it.

German cars = Warranty Required for me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2012 Passat TDI here in Chattanooga, live and work here. Mine was a 6 speed manual and I regularly saw 54 mpg at highway speeds. You could set the cruise at 70 and get 50 mpg all day long. You could actually pull Monteagle mountain going from Chattanooga to Nashville and do it in 6th gear. Car has lots of torque. Had one warranty issue of the DEF pump going bad and pumping way too much DEF. I sold it back to VW at around 110,000 miles. In hindsight I should have kept the car. The county I live in currently has emission testing and I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to renew my tag. I could have jumped through some hoops and registered it in Shelbyville at my dad’s but that would have been a pain. When I sold it back to VW I had a lifetime MPG of over 50 mpg. I tracked every single fill up when I owned it. If you were on a long trip you could go 900 mile before stopping. It does take a special bottle to refill the DEF tank in the trunk. I did my own oil changes so I bought one bottle of the stuff and then cut the end of the bottle off and poured in new and then attached it to the filler and push down to release it into the tank. It’s a pain but it’s much cheaper that way. Take care as DEF crystallizes if it gets on anything and turns into a white substance that needs large amounts of water to get rid of. Do it yourself oil changes are still reasonably expensive as the oil is kinda hard to find and pricey. I stayed with Castrol as it meets the VW spec for that engine. Would be glad to answer any more questions you might have.

Posts: 183 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, mholmes.

Though I bristle at Rhino's pessimism, warranty is a question I haven't been able to answer today. I can't find a thing on the dealer's site mentioning warranty coverage. I'll find out more about that when I get there in the morning.

I'm absolutely loving the idea of such a "yuge" fuel economy improvement. This particular car has the automatic, so I'm not sure how that will compare to your 6-speed, but even at 35 or so it's a tremendous improvement.

I'll have more questions....

God bless America.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

What year was your Passat, V-Tail?
Sorry, a little delay getting back to you, I had some fires to put out.

I'm trying to remember the exact year and I'm coming up blank. I do know that I was doing some contract work, software development, in the Research Triangle area, so it had to be somewhere around the mid 1990s.

It was a new car, full warranty, when I bought it. It seemed that they would get one problem solved, and a new one would crop up. Other than the infamous tire problem, just about everything was electrical. First week, driver door window opened to pay a toll, then would not close. Raining like hell. I contacted VW of America as soon as I got where I was going, they told me to take it back to the dealer that sold it to me, almost a thousand miles away. Rectal orifices.

I often look askance at Rhino's posts, but I have to agree with him on this one, so that's a sample size of two.

If the one that is being offered to you has a full coverage warranty, with free loaner vehicle during repairs as part of the package (in writing), it might be OK, but you might give serious consideration to selling or trading it the day before the warranty expires.

Other side of the coin, when everything was working on my Passat, it was a delightful car. Very responsive, the narrow V-6 (gas) engine was peppy, the car handled well, was comfortable and other than the electrical system, seemed to be well built.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post