SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hardwood floor - recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardwood floor - recommendations? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I'm thinking of installing hardwood flooring in one room on which I will place tatami mats. I have never had hardwood floors before nor have I had flooring installed before. I have a concrete slab foundation.

Basic questions:

1) what type of wood is indicated for use under something like tatami mats? Everything good to go? Or are there certain woods to avoid and/or prefer?

2) installer: Costco? Home Depot? Some national chain? Local flooring store?

3) is it better to align the wood panels along a walkway or across a walkway? Or if a room is rectangular, aligned with the long wall or short wall? Or doesn't matter.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When we were looking into it, I found a couple of good sources:
1. A local flooring store, with a salesman who had years of experience installing flooring
2. Fine Homebuilding had several really good articles comparing different types of "hardwood flooring".

For a concrete slab, you likely will want an engineered wood floor, not solid hardwood, as the former will be more dimensionally stable. For example, your question about what orientation to use under a walkway would, I think, be made moot by using engineered flooring.

People with real experience will likely be along soon to provide much more information.

I'd suggest educating yourself as much as possible before going ahead.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If you've never seen it, get a sample or picture of a home with hand-scraped hardwoods. We had never heard of them until moving to N. TX where they are de rigueur. A really nice look and unique to boot.

We are buying a home in MS with heart pine floors which are also pretty stinking awesome, but completely different! I think I'm going to miss the ones around me right now....

I would absolutely find an installer through references, not a big-box store. This is no place to scrimp.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'm thinking of installing hardwood flooring in one room on which I will place tatami mats. I have never had hardwood floors before nor have I had flooring installed before. I have a concrete slab foundation.

Basic questions:

1) what type of wood is indicated for use under something like tatami mats? Everything good to go? Or are there certain woods to avoid and/or prefer? You should be able to use whatever you like, can afford, looks right or works best.
It depends where you live and the ability to keep water from coming up through the concrete slab. You can float and put an engineered product or put down skeets (wood slats) and real hardwood or in some cases glue down a product.

2) installer: Costco? Home Depot? Some national chain? Local flooring store? Check prices and references.

3) is it better to align the wood panels along a walkway or across a walkway? Or if a room is rectangular, aligned with the long wall or short wall? Or doesn't matter Whatever looks best to you, no other reason.

I prefer Engineered Wood on floated water resistant matt.
There are many ways to skin this cat ~ at least talk to a pro floor store.
You will most likely get better answer than a box store.
The box stores just subcontract out the labor anyway so why not just go to the source.
1) Find the wood you like
2) Make sure it correctly installed .
3) Shop for the best deal and quality of installer.

Good Luck and post some pics.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Basic questions:

1) what type of wood is indicated for use under something like tatami mats? Everything good to go? Or are there certain woods to avoid and/or prefer? You should be able to use whatever you like, can afford, looks right or works best.
It depends where you live and the ability to keep water from coming up through the concrete slab.
You can float and put an engineered product or put down skeets (wood slats) and real hardwood or in some cases glue down a product.

2) installer: Costco? Home Depot? Some national chain? Local flooring store? Check prices and references.

3) is it better to align the wood panels along a walkway or across a walkway? Or if a room is rectangular, aligned with the long wall or short wall? Or doesn't matter Whatever looks best to you, no other reason.

I prefer Engineered Wood on floated water resistant matt.
There are many ways to skin this cat ~ at least talk to a pro floor store.
You will most likely get better answer than a box store.
The box stores just subcontract out the labor anyway so why not just go to the source.
1) Find the wood you like
2) Make sure it correctly installed .
3) Shop for the best deal and quality of installer.

Good Luck and post some pics.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're doing one room and are somewhat handy, there are plenty of engineered and solid woods that are easy to install. And I like baseboards that are install AFTER the floors are installed.

I did over 1000 SF of solid oak flooring on concrete, at an angle. I preferred gluing over floating. On a small room, floating should be sufficient. We used "Timeberclick" from Floor and Decor. Kind of pricey at $5/sf, but easy to install and it looks great.

I wouldn't go below $3-4/sf for the flooring.

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

We used "Timeberclick" from Floor and Decor. Kind of pricey at $5/sf, but easy to install and it looks great.

I've seen that product ~ it looks like really good stuff.
I plan on using it to replace my laminate at some point.

Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

We used "Timeberclick" from Floor and Decor. Kind of pricey at $5/sf, but easy to install and it looks great.

I've seen that product ~ it looks like really good stuff.
I plan on using it to replace my laminate at some point.

Cool

Email me - I can send pics.

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
My recommendation. Don't do it.

It is just me. And I know its beautiful, etc, etc. I am just to the point where I don't want something expensive, labor intensive, high maintenance, etc.

I am thinking of going to a dirt floor shack. Not sure it would fly, but maybe. I am pretty sure they broom easy Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

Basic questions:

1) what type of wood is indicated for use under something like tatami mats? Everything good to go? Or are there certain woods to avoid and/or prefer?

2) installer: Costco? Home Depot? Some national chain? Local flooring store?

3) is it better to align the wood panels along a walkway or across a walkway? Or if a room is rectangular, aligned with the long wall or short wall? Or doesn't matter.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're looking at installing hardwood in a room and than mostly covering it with tatami mats...so all you'll see of the hardwood would be around the edges.

1. Engineered wood, installed/floated over a barrier, rather than solid hardwood as it is more stable over concrete. Be aware that you'll likely have to level the slab

2. I'd look for a local shop. As stated already, national chains are only going to subcontract the installation out to a local anyway

3. Orientation is almost purely a matter of aesthetics. You can make a room appear wider of deeper by changing orientation of the planks. I would think you'd align the planks with the long side of the room, but this can be dependent on the entry and the placement of the windows in the room...it is a matter of where you want to "draw the eye"

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you're doing one room and are somewhat handy, there are plenty of engineered and solid woods that are easy to install. And I like baseboards that are install AFTER the floors are installed.

I did over 1000 SF of solid oak flooring on concrete, at an angle. I preferred gluing over floating. On a small room, floating should be sufficient. We used "Timeberclick" from Floor and Decor. Kind of pricey at $5/sf, but easy to install and it looks great.

I wouldn't go below $3-4/sf for the flooring.

It depends. First off, go with the best underlayment, do not skimp here. But in all honesty, the laminate 7mm flooring at under $1 ft is more dimensionally stable than the engineered hardwoods and lasts longer and wears better from my experiences. One vacation rental I manage has that carbonized/rectified bamboo and depending on the humidity, some seams raise a bit and things like that and also shows a little wear. The laminate stuff has held up extremely well.

I have laminate in one bedroom of my house that was installed in 2002 and shows almost no wear at all and another laminate from floor and decor (sumatra teak $0.59 sq foot) I installed in the other bedroom a year ago that's perfect, with a 100lb rottweiler running all over it.

I like the grain/flooring to run in the same direction as the door.....or the long side of the room if there are doors on several walls..........

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

I need to look up a lot of the stuff mentioned above. For example, I don't really know the difference between hardwood, engineered wood and laminate flooring.

I'll start researching tomorrow - exhausted from the flight and drive back home. I'm probably going to have more questions. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys!

I need to look up a lot of the stuff mentioned above. For example, I don't really know the difference between hardwood, engineered wood and laminate flooring.

I'll start researching tomorrow - exhausted from the flight and drive back home. I'm probably going to have more questions. Smile

Hardwood is real wood. Laminate is plastic based which looks like wood.....and engineered is something in between.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post