SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Porsche Panamera owners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Porsche Panamera owners Login/Join 
posted
Went to the Auto show yesterday and the wife is interested in the Porsche Panamera. I'm a little concern after reading about some PDK transmission "clunking" noise issues. Please share your owner's experience about this car. I'm thinking of getting the 4S. Thanks.

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the Panamera PDK, but my 2015 Turbo S had one and it had no clunking whatsoever- very smooth. The wife had a 2013 PDK in her Cayman, and had the “clunking” issue.

After 2015 models, you should be fine.

Be safe, Steve

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Only thing I can think of is people driving their cars hard and causing the rear diff to wear a little loose. Then when you put the car in gear, the clunking happens when the engine winds up the transmission and the driveshaft rotates freely until it meets firm resistance from that rear diff.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a 2016 Panamera S. I do not have a clunk in mine.

Posts: 12 | Registered: August 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
25K on a 2015 PDK (in a Cayman), no issues.

Haven't even seen this issue come up on Planet 9, but haven't done a search for it.

BTW - driven a Panamera twice, it's pretty impressive. You lose sight pretty quickly of it's apparent size.

quote:
2015 Turbo S

Now, where's that drool emoji??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
This hearsay, but somewhat validated. Had a Panamera owner tell me he loved the car but was using a quart of oil every 600 miles. He had taken it to the dealer and was told that 1qt/600 miles was considered normal.

I went on line and found that Porsche does indeed say the 1 qt/1000 Km is within the normal range.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like Chevy Vega oil consumption territory. I'd expect more from a Porsche.

What kind of oil consumption are you owners experiencing?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Wife has had a 2012 Panamera since new and it now has about 35K miles on it. No problems whatsoever on the PDK transmission (or the car for that matter). Smooth as silk.

However, if you've never owned a Porsche, please be aware that even routine maintenance and parts can be very expensive. We've had three Porsches and they have all been insanely reliable. My 2010 911 w/ 6-speed (60K miles) is like a mini-vacation every time I drive it, if even to run local errands. If you go for it, you will likely have a very enjoyable ownership experience! Keep us posted!! Wink

Posts: 1987 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
This site may have some insight:

Planet 9 Panamera Forum

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post