SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    At the coin operated laundry today and run into this lady
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At the coin operated laundry today and run into this lady Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
in a security guard uniform who tells me we live in an awful country. This while I'm on the phone with USAA seeing if the issue is my card or the machine at the facility. Older Hispanic lady, likely Puerto Rican, probably in her mid-40's.

This is how the conversation goes:

Her: we live in a horrible country with a horrible president.
Me: at least we get to vote for our president here. If it’s so horrible, why don’t you leave?
Her: we have no freedom of speech. My employer says I have to speak English at work.

At this point, there’s no sense in trying to talk sense into an idiot. Your employer sets their policies which you agreed to upon accepting employment, right? I just thought that, no sense in trying to win an argument with stupid.

Me: what you just said is freedom of speech, you also have the freedom to leave.

Her: maybe I will do that then.

I’m an immigrant myself and I’ve been around the world a couple times, seen real poverty and bled for my country. 8 years on active duty and currently a reservist. It upsets me when people come here from other countries and criticize us. If this place is so bad, why did you come here? Why don’t you go back to where you’re from?

I don't go to the coin operated laundry but I had to wash the dog bedding and our little washing machine at home wouldn't have been up to the task of washing such heavy items. Now I know the next time I go, it will be very early since they are open 24/7. That way I can likely get in/out before any stupid arrives.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Common misconception: the first amendment protects you from being restricted by the government, NOT private businessses or individuals. It is perfectly legal for an employer to require you to restrict your speech as a condition of employment. Can’t bitch out customers, etc.

- Bret

Posts: 2465 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Fucking ingrate. Yes, do leave, please. Mad

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My half of that conversation would have been VERY brief:

"Not happy here? Get the fuck out."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
My response would likely have been longer than PHPaul's. It probably would have started with something along the lines of, "What makes you think that your employer wants you harassing their customers with your opinion which at best they couldn't care less about? And for the record, I am deeply offended by your opinion. If you don't like it here you are more than welcome to vote with your feet. Perhaps you'd like it better wherever you came from. In any case, I'll be sure to let your employer know that I very much did not appreciate your unsolicited opinion and will consider taking my business elsewhere if this is what I have to put up with at his business. Have a nice day."

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Not happy here? Get the fuck out."

And
"I love my President"

Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19181 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't talk to idiots on my own time. At work is another story.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
People float through miles of shark infested waters on rafts made of trash to get here. It’s the only country in the world that’s so horrible that people refuse to leave it.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure what it is about your mannerisms that would invite people to come up and bitch about this country.

Thankfully it’s nothing i’ve ever had. I wouldn’t have responded; just stared at her until she left.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not sure what it is about your mannerisms that would invite people to come up and bitch about this country.

Often it is not your mannerisms. Some people cannot read body language. It is funny to watch men approach women who do not have the slightest interest in them as conveyed by their body language. It usually ends badly.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have told her, "My Great Grandfather came to this country in 1847 on the three week trip to New Orleans he and his two sisters studied English when they stepped foot on America soil he said, "I'm in America now and from now on I will speak English". That's in our family History.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Virtue signalling, self-righteous, willfully ignorant, hostile, bubbling with hate and far from alone -- consider it a warning and watch your six.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could have said; "And it is such a pity you have to work for a living, right?"

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Since Obama I have lost all patience with this type and feel I must challenge these people.

If not challenged they assume they are right and I'm a idiot.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
People float through miles of shark infested waters on rafts made of trash to get here. It’s the only country in the world that’s so horrible that people refuse to leave it.

Well said!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:....I’m an immigrant myself and I’ve been around the world a couple times, seen real poverty and bled for my country. 8 years on active duty and currently a reservist. It upsets me when people come here from other countries and criticize us. If this place is so bad, why did you come here? Why don’t you go back to where you’re from?...

Why don't you move to CA. tell them you are in this country illegaly. They will promise to give you free healthcare, education, a ticket on the gravy-train, and protect you from the feds. Smile

On a serious note, my gripe is those who come to America seeking a better life, who want all the freedoms and benefits available here but none of the responsibilities. They want to escape the oppression of their homeland, but they bring with them, and demand we assimilate, the roots that spawn the oppression. And those who come here illegally usually ignore other laws in addition to immigration laws.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Often it is not your mannerisms. Some people cannot read body language. It is funny to watch men approach women who do not have the slightest interest in them as conveyed by their body language. It usually ends badly.

Okay, I get it and your explanation sounds plausible and funny as I've seen it before. But thinking a girl angling her body from you means she's got the hots for you is so far out for me from thinking that guy wants to have a deep conversation with me on the societal ills plaguing this country. Wink

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post