SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Youtube auto-generated closed-captioning not yet perfected
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Youtube auto-generated closed-captioning not yet perfected Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Well, I guess it's no surprise- the poor quality of audio on these vids sometimes, the endless variations of dialect. Slang, background noise, what have you. Still, it can be amusing at times.

Here's an example. A Wal-Mart manager is offscreen saying "I'm concerned about the safety of my customers" but that's not how the software interpreted it:

I did a bit of research and I think I see part of the problem. Here's the author of the CC auto-generator program:

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I saw a thread on a forum talking about CC on tv and remembered this picture.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I was watching a car repair video on youtube early one morning without sound since my wife was sleeping next to me. I about jumped out of bed when the close captioning read my brother's first and last name for what should have been "pad wire"

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
During a fight scene with lots of fight action, but no other sounds.
Auto-generated captioning: "(music)"
Not even a "Biff!" or "Pow!"

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's a little more understandable with Youtube, due to the sheer volume of new videos being uploaded every minute. There's no way they could keep up with manually adding captions.

But Amazon Prime Video has the same issue on some of their content. I guess they figure the cost savings of having a computer do it and only being 80% accurate is worth it, compared to paying a team to actually generate 100% accurate captions.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I mean, are not we all concerned about the safeties of our assholes? Eek

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
This is outstanding, and it’s very similar to the voicemail to text feature on my iPhone. Can’t blame the translation though because one can’t be too careful these days.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post