SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a mattress?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a mattress? Login/Join 
posted
So my mattress is over 20 years old. I added a foam topper to it a few years ago and have no real complaints beyond it getting a bit warm.

Still, 20 years. Plus I'd like to upgrade to a queen.

I cannot for the life of me find a source for reviews that I trust. I'll look for a while, start smelling bullshit, and give up for a few more months.

So. Anyways. Your mattress. What is it? Do you like it?

Posts: 2123 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Temper-pedic. I've slept on one for 10 years and we just bought another one for the guest bedroom. Relieved back pain too. I used to go to the back snapper 20x a year. After I bought the bed, I go maybe once every 2 or 3 years.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5394 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Quite a few mattress threads awhile back.

Loom and leaf for me. Queens about 1200$, is memory foam with cooling gel. Still sleeps a littlr warm.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Temper-pedic great mattress no back pain. We have the harder one in the line. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Recommend a mattress?

No, every one I purchase seems great in the store, then I end up hating it. Frown

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Tempur-pedic. I have two of them - the Contour model which is firmer and the Cloud model which is softer and contours to the body. The wife prefers the Cloud model so the firmer one is in the guest room.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Temperpedic here too.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Temperpedic here too.

We have one as well. I love the support, but be forwarned, it is a very warm sleeping mattress for me. My wife has no complaints, but I often wake up sweating where ever my body is touching the mattress. Usuall the small of my back, or my chest. Salesman warned us about this, but I was already in for 3k and wasn't going for another 1k for a breathable cover. I figured turning down the heat in the bedroom would cure this. Nope! Room was 58* the other night, and I still woke up sweating. Throwing a towel over the sweaty spot works, but it is a pita.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another happy Tempur-pedic owner here. I got the cloud supreme and love it.

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze here for the last five years and it is the best and most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on.

Prior to that I went through 5 high end mattresses, in less than three years, from other manufactures and they all killed my back. Tempurpedic solved all my issues.

Whatever you do, don't waste any money on a Sleep Number bed. We spent over $3,000 on a high end sleep number and it was the most uncomfortable and biggest piece of junk out of all of them. Less than a year later I had to throw it in the trash because I couldn't get anyone to take it off my hands for free from Craigslist.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted this on another thrread but will repost that I/we LOVE out Tuft and Needle!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Latex foam mattress. Ours is 8 years old and still is amazing...and does not heat up like a memory foam one.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies and the links to the other threads. Keep 'em coming -- real reviews are hard to come by. =)

Tempurpedics seem a bit out of my price range. Not sure I believe 'you get what you pay for' is true in the mattress world.

Posts: 2123 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: December 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I posted this on another thrread but will repost that I/we LOVE out Tuft and Needle!

All tufts and needles are 20% off today. Might be worth a try.

https://www.tuftandneedle.com

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I like sterns and foster. I like a firmer bed.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
Just had a Purple delivered today so we'll have to see how it is.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Strangely no one has recommended "new" as the mattress to get. Smile

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
One month on a Snuggle-Pedic memory foam queen size. I'm a warm sleeper and was wary of buying a foam mattress. Firmness rating is plush, supposed to be between firm and medium.
Purchased on Amazon $799, made in USA by Relief Mart in Cali. I learned a lot about sheets
when buying for it. I got 400 thread count percale cotton. I learned that sateen, higher thread counts and micro fiber sheets retain more body heat. I have been very comfortable and sleeping very well, some cooler nights with a Pendelton Chief Joseph on top. I am very impressed and very pleased with this mattress.

It came with a really nice Bamboo cotton cover.
I also bought 2 of their shredded memory foam
pillows. Both came with Bamboo covers and the really cool thing is one end is zippered so you can adjust and remove some foam to your liking.

A nice little perk from Relief Mart, they sent me free of charge complimentary Kool-Flow organic cotton mattress cover and one pillow case.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm in the market for a mattress, and this is the best information that I have found on mattresses.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post