SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    High end work boots.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High end work boots. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
I have a pair of Danners. I have had these for going on 3 years now. When I bought them I fully intended to have the resoled, but the uppers are getting pretty torn up. I'm sold on the concept of paying a little more for work footwear. The Timberland Pros I was buying before only lasted for a year. So price wise I'm way ahead with spending more at the beginning.

Are there any other makes and models I should consider when I'm ready to buy another pair.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
White's. Built to last--then they can be rebuilt and last just as long again, until you get tired of them.

Posts: 13257 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have worn Lacrosse, Red Wings, Wolverine, Carolina, Georgia, Danner, ect.... I think I like Danner the best. I work in a tough environment and it's hard to properly take care of the leather, so we wear them till the leather splits, rots, wears out, whatever you want to call it, and get new ones. They never last long enough for a resole. Currently I am wearing the Danner Quarry model, they take a bit to break in. I also toss out the insoles and put in a pair of Airplus ultra work insoles... Walmart's best....lol

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only buy USA built with USA materials boots anymore, which can be tricky. Many Red Wing boots are assembled here with "globally sourced" components, which you can usually discern from the tongue tag. My experience has been that the leather from overseas is not as durable, amongst other issues. I previously went thru a pair of Chinese made Red Wing King Toe boots every year, which felt like sneakers, but wore out like them, too.

I have some Danner Quarry GTX (last pair since I discovered they're imported components) that I've been happy with, and just got some Red Wing Logger 2218s that aren't broken in yet, but look promising to be comfortable, and are built like tanks.

I'm saving my pennies to try some Whites or Wescos in a year or two.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I have a pair of Danners. I have had these for going on 3 years now. When I bought them I fully intended to have the resoled, but the uppers are getting pretty torn up. I'm sold on the concept of paying a little more for work footwear. The Timberland Pros I was buying before only lasted for a year. So price wise I'm way ahead with spending more at the beginning.

Are there any other makes and models I should consider when I'm ready to buy another pair.

Take them to your local cobbler. I bet they will make your Danners look good as new leather included for a least half the price of new boots.
My Danner Acadias are going on 11 years old and the local cobbler does a fine job bringing them back every few years.
Though come January 1 I think I will retire my Danners to yard duty as my 5.11 HRTs are on their last leg (sure wish they still made them).
We have a new equipment policy that opens us up to a world of more boot choices.
So I am going to give the Haix GSG-9 a try.
https://www.haixusa.com/haix-haix-gsg9-s

I am not sure what sort of work boots you are looking for or if you wear them occupationally are but the best bang for the buck I have found are the Cabelas Work Boot all my reading and comparing of boots is that they are rebadged Danners from their Chinese plant.
http://www.cabelas.com/product...rk-boots/1217726.uts

I don't wear them occupationally but wear them as a winter jean boot and when I need something a little sturdier than my 5.11s.
I get about 3 years out of them. At $100 not worth recrafting them. They used to be $69 which was awesome.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I am a welder/fabricator and I do wear them professionally. With all of the stock steel laying around on the floor the toe area has many decent cuts in them.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Im a fan of Chippewa. Some are still made in the USA. Expensive but they last me a while.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Chippewas. Got my first pair about a year ago and I'm still very pleased.

Comfy, rugged and are standing up very well so far.

Around $200 which isn't horrible for a decent pair of boots.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Work gave us $200 a year for safety toe boots. Five years in a row I purchased Chippewa. I still have them. Look for the American made ones as most are made in China. They wear well but are some of the heavier boots I have worn. The last few years I bought the Red Wings which hold up well and don't weigh as much. Again, Look where they are made.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If you sign up for Red Wings emails and have a store nearby, they tend to send 20% off coupons around Black Friday. I know that is a ways still.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

What kind of work are you doing?

Are these boots taking a beating on rocks and sticks? A thicker leather with a toe rand will help here.

Or getting saturated with water and cracking because of dry-rot? Not many leathers can stand up to this (without constant conditioning), so a synthetic is better here.

Doh...didn't refresh my page before responding. My apologies.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GTO
posted Hide Post
Www.hoffmanboots.com Family run business since 1926. I purchased Meindl boots. Vibram soles, gortex lowers, leather uppers. Not cheap. They have linesman boots, logging boots, you name it.These people will take care of you. Guaranteed. Ask for Beth.

Posts: 242 | Location: Gig Harbor WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My Red Wings list for $209 and are made in the USA. While I do not consider them premium boots, they offer excellent protection and are durable. If I was not in and out of trenches, picking my way pack cracked concrete and jagged rebar, I'd perhaps get something more comfortable.

When I wanted another pair of the same style I've been wearing for 23 years, Redfern, our local Red wing manager, said they move less of them these days; mostly only farmers buy them. I like being identified with a group as hard-working as farmers, so I did not change my style and went with the 953's. Again (the fifth or sixth pair).

As far as recrafting, years ago a Red Wing employee told me my model was not recraftable. Later, via phone call to Red Wing, they tell me they are recraftable.

Red Wing factory restoration for my 953s:

Red Wing cuts off the old sole with a band saw, cleans it up with pliers and Dremel, and sews on a new welt. The boots then go onto original factory machinery, where new soles are poured in place, directly bonded to the boot. The Chevron Super-Sole® is a urethane which goes into the mold as a liquid and hardens in about ten seconds. Finally, the leather is conditioned and new laces expertly laced over and under. The lace tips line up, a skill which eludes me to this day.

The kind of sole sewn to boot, that kind can be handled locally. The poured urethane, maybe original machinery only.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If you like Danner, wait for the annual Fathers Day sale. 50%

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
If you like Danner, wait for the annual Fathers Day sale. 50%

Really? Wow.

posted Hide Post
I wear Wesco. Hand made in America.
Lineman

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like Danner for factory boots. They are very durable and I'd send them for factory recrafting. I have never had any by the custom shops like Whites.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you get them re-crafted from Danner? I had mine done a while ago, came back as good as new!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
White's. Built to last--then they can be rebuilt and last just as long again, until you get tired of them.

This all you need to know. If you are ever in Spokane or any of their designated retailers you can stop by, they'll measure your feet and keep the info on file, makes re-ordering a breeze.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do commercial concrete restoration work. Timberland pros lasted 3 weeks at work. I wear Red Wing loggers with a true steel toe and have gotten 15 months out of this pair. The toes are worn to the steel and the leather is covered in concrete and epoxy but they are still comfortable.
This pair will be retired to doing waterproofing and epoxy and a new pair will be for daily wear as soon as I get a day off to go purchase them.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post