SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remember Kristallnacht
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember Kristallnacht Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
November 9, 1938 a pogrom erupted across Austria and Germany. Synagogues, homes and businesses were ruined. 91 Jews were killed. Military and regular german citizens were involved in the violence.

Not too many think about it or remember it but we should or it will happen again. Maybe here.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid and learned about these atrocities I believed humanity had learned from history never to return to them. I was comforted thinking that at least the murdered could serve as a warning to the living an this their loss was not in vain. But now I see we have not learned as the components of atrocity gather under the aegis of those we trusted. God bless and keep the lost. Their suffering and sorrow is done. Their lesson is laid open for those with eyes to see.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I learned about this and the significance of this by reading a biography on Dietrich Bonheoffer.

Thank you for the reminder.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The Nazis then forced the Jews to pay for all the damages. Seriously.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Never again!

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I think there a lot on this forum that will say: Not on our watch

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Jew, but I'm there on ya'll's side. Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My grandfather told me about hiding in the barn as they destroyed the family farm. When he did, he looked like he was still scared 75+ years later.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

I'm right there with you.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Never Again.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
לעולם לא עוד

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
quote:

I'm right there with you.

Me as well. I just started the book “A Train Near Magdeburg,” subtitled, “A Teacher’s Journey into the Holocaust and the Reuniting of the Survivors and Liberators, 70 Years On” by Matt Rozell. Based on this photo of a US Army patrol liberating Holocaust survivors:

https://www.amazon.com/Magdebu...b3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I read a book, I wish I could remember the author and title.

It was about one of the concentration camps. One of the few, maybe the only one, where the prisoners, mostly Jews, united and overthrew the guards.

Does anybody know what this book is? I would like to read it again.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I don't recall the title but I've read about it. I believe it was Treblinka.

From Wiki

Day of the revolt and survivors[edit]
The uprising was launched on the hot summer day of 2 August 1943 (Monday, a regular day of rest from gassing), when a group of Germans and 40 Ukrainians drove off to the River Bug to swim.[67] The conspirators silently unlocked the door to the arsenal near the train tracks, with a key that had been duplicated earlier.[119] They had stolen 20–25 rifles, 20 hand grenades, and several pistols,[119] and delivered them in a cart to the gravel work detail. At 3:45 p.m., 700 Jews launched an insurgency that lasted for 30 minutes.[18] They set buildings ablaze, exploded a tank of petrol, and set fire to the surrounding structures. A group of armed Jews attacked the main gate, and others attempted to climb the fence. Machine-gun fire from about 25 Germans and 60 Ukrainian Trawnikis resulted in near-total slaughter. Lajcher was killed along with most of the insurgents. About 200 Jews[17][18] escaped from the camp.[q] Half of them were killed after a chase in cars and on horses.[119] The Jews did not cut the phone wires,[67] and Stangl called in hundreds of German reinforcements,[155] who arrived from four different towns and set up roadblocks along the way.[18] Partisans of the Armia Krajowa (Polish: Home Army) transported some of the surviving escapees across the river[19] and others like Sperling ran 30 kilometres (19 miles) and were then helped and fed by Polish villagers.[67] Of those who broke through, around 70 are known to have survived until the end of the war,[20] including the future authors of published Treblinka memoirs: Richard Glazar, Chil Rajchman, Jankiel Wiernik, and Samuel Willenberg.[144]

Survivor Samuel Willenberg presenting his drawings of Treblinka II in the Museum of Struggle and Martyrdom at the site of the camp. On the right, the "Lazarett" killing station.
Among the Jewish prisoners who escaped after setting fire to the camp, there were two 19-year-olds, Samuel Willenberg and Kalman Taigman, who had both arrived in 1942 and had been forced to work there under the threat of death. Taigman died in 2012[r] and Willenberg in 2016.[157] Taigman stated of his experience, "It was hell, absolutely hell. A normal man cannot imagine how a living person could have lived through it – killers, natural-born killers, who without a trace of remorse just murdered every little thing."[158] Willenberg and Taigman emigrated to Israel after the war and devoted their last years to retelling the story of Treblinka.[s][158][161] Escapees Hershl Sperling and Richard Glazar both suffered from survivor guilt syndrome and eventually killed themselves.[67] Chaim Sztajer, who was 34 at the time of the uprising, had survived 11 months as a Sonderkommando in Treblinka II and was instrumental in the coordination of the uprising between the two camps.[147] Following his escape in the uprising, Sztajer survived for over a year in the forest before the liberation of Poland. Following the war, he migrated to Israel and then to Melbourne, Australia where later in life he constructed from memory a model of Treblinka which is currently displayed at the Jewish Holocaust Centre in Melbourne.[162]

After the uprising[edit]
After the revolt, Stangl met the head of Operation Reinhard, Odilo Globocnik, and inspector Christian Wirth in Lublin, and decided not to draft a report, as no native Germans had died putting down the revolt.[163] Stangl wanted to rebuild the camp, but Globocnik told him it would be closed down shortly and Stangl would be transferred to Trieste to help fight the partisans there. The Nazi high command may have felt that Stangl, Globocnik, Wirth, and other Reinhard personnel knew too much and wanted to dispose of them by sending them to the front.[164] With almost all the Jews from the German ghettos (established in Poland) killed, there would have been little point in rebuilding the facility.[165] Auschwitz had enough capacity to fulfil the Nazis' remaining extermination needs, rendering Treblinka redundant.[166]

The camp's new commandant Kurt Franz, formerly its deputy commandant, took over in August. After the war he testified that gassings had stopped by then.[43] In reality, despite the extensive damage to the camp, the gas chambers were intact, and the killing of Polish Jews continued. Speed was reduced, with only ten wagons rolled onto the ramp at a time, while the others had to wait.[167] The last two rail transports of Jews were brought to the camp for gassing from the Białystok Ghetto on 18 and 19 August 1943.[168] They consisted of 76 wagons (37 the first day and 39 the second), according to a communiqué published by the Office of Information of the Armia Krajowa, based on observation of Holocaust trains passing through the village of Treblinka.[167][169] The 39 wagons that came to Treblinka on 19 August 1943 were carrying at least 7,600 survivors of the Białystok Ghetto Uprising.[163]

On 19 October 1943, Operation Reinhard was terminated by a letter from Odilo Globocnik. The following day, a large group of Jewish Arbeitskommandos who had worked on dismantling the camp structures over the previous few weeks were loaded onto the train and transported, via Siedlce and Chełm, to Sobibór to be gassed on 20 October 1943.[82] Franz followed Globocnik and Stangl to Trieste in November. Clean-up operations continued over the winter. As part of these operations, Jews from the surviving work detail dismantled the gas chambers brick-by-brick and used them to erect a farmhouse on the site of the camp's former bakery. Globocnik confirmed its purpose as a secret guard post for a Nazi-Ukrainian agent to remain behind the scenes, in a letter he sent to Himmler from Trieste on 5 January 1944.[167] A Hiwi guard called Oswald Strebel, a Ukrainian Volksdeutscher (ethnic German), was given permission to bring his family from Ukraine for "reasons of surveillance", wrote Globocnik; Strebel had worked as a guard at Treblinka II.[169] He was instructed to tell visitors that he had been farming there for decades, but the local Poles were well aware of the existence of the camp.[170]

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
- John 15:13

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I don't recall the title but I've read about it. I believe it was Treblinka.

There was another successful uprising at the Sobibor camp in 1943, with hundreds of Jewish prisoners managing to overpower their guards and escape.

There was also an uprising at Auschwitz in 1944, with some guards killed and a crematorium blown up, but all the prisoners involved were killed.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:

Roger that me too.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
In Nov. 1938 my mama was dating a Jewish boy from New York that was down here going to school at LSU. Everything was going good as far as she knew and when he went home to New York for a visit. She got a unsigned letter saying he could no longer see her.
She never heard from him again. It could have been that she wasn't Jewish or that she was the granddaughter of German immigrants who knows. But it was that same time in 1938. Somewhere around here we still have the letter.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that is probably ten years older than my self. I was born in 1940 so I assume she was born in about 1930.

She was raised in pre WWII Germany and has relayed a few of her experiences. She tells of constant indoctrination by listening to Der Fuhrer on the radio at school and conversation around the table at home in the evening. She said her mother was so afraid that her father was too outspoken. He thought Hitler was a clown. I asked if she was aware of what was going on with the Jews? She said she knew something terrible was happening, but hadn't yet quite figured it out. She remembers and describes the Kristallnacht very well. She said there was significant damage in her town and she was so indoctrinated that when she saw the damage, she just knew "that the Jews had done it". She would have been about eight years old or about second grade at the time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gutpile Charlie,

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post