SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Crash in Gulf of Mexico
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Crash in Gulf of Mexico Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It looked like he whapped the shallow bottom really good from all the mud kicked up. Balled it right up.

Yep, he flew it stupidly and the flying gods demanded blood.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Four (4) feet deep there.

Hitting that at 110 mph?

Pretty bold for a pilot that had logged 700 hours.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
A very real problem of flying low over the water is that your eyes and brain are not programmed to measure the waves and your focus and depth perception can get pretty whacked out trying to look at the water moving down low (think about if you have ever tried to focus your eyes on a ceiling made of acoustic tile).

In my helo days, if I had to hover low over the water, I would bring some newspaper and throw a sheet or two out on the surface. My brain knew exactly how big that was so I could get a sense of distance.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Wasn’t one of the main designers/engineers of the A5 killed in a crash? RIP

Yes, my friend of 30 years, Jon Karkow. RIP

Sorry for your loss

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I used to work with this M.D. back in the previous century. One day, he says he wants to get his pilot's license. I laughed. You? He says why not and I said because I know you and also, you can't turn on the news these days without seeing some single engine airplane in the trees or flattened in a soybean field.

So, he gets all into it, puts up this lifesize poster of the cockpit controls of a Cessna 172 or some such, gets his little books out to study, the whole deal.
He gets his pilot's license, flies a few times, then one day, the poster in his office is gone. It turns out that the Cessna he rented crashed on takeoff at PDK and killed the occupants. It could have just as easily have been him and he knew it.

Yep, like I said, I know you, buddy. You're just not cut out for it. No more flying.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I used to work with this M.D. back in the previous century. One day, he says he wants to get his pilot's license. I laughed. You? He says why not and I said because I know you and also, you can't turn on the news these days without seeing some single engine airplane in the trees or flattened in a soybean field.

So, he gets all into it, puts up this lifesize poster of the cockpit controls of a Cessna 172 or some such, gets his little books out to study, the whole deal.
He gets his pilot's license, flies a few times, then one day, the poster in his office is gone. It turns out that the Cessna he rented crashed on takeoff at PDK and killed the occupants. It could have just as easily have been him and he knew it.

Yep, like I said, I know you, buddy. You're just not cut out for it. No more flying.

I’ll wait for V-Tail to turn up, and explain exactly what a doctor killer is, but nothing you said is a shock.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aviation is very intolerant of playing grab ass.

No disrespect intended but it will straight up kill you if you don’t treat it with the proper respect and preparation. And even then it still might kill you.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

No disrespect intended but it will straight up kill you if you don’t treat it with the proper respect and preparation. And even then it still might kill you.

The guy was a workhorse when it came to preparation. We have no idea what happened or what he was thinking.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Let me guess, light sport planes that land on the water - mix in new pilots / inexperienced float pilots - the results are not unexpected.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

The guy was a workhorse when it came to preparation. We have no idea what happened or what he was thinking.

All the prep in the world won't save you if you don't have the skill to back it up or the mental awareness to no do something fun that will exceed your skill level.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
There were witness and video.

Link to video

"Roy Halladay appeared to be hot doggin' it in his plane in the moments before his crash -- making extreme and unusual changes in altitude ... this according to multiple witnesses. TMZ Sports has obtained footage shot by boaters who say the ex-MLB star's plane was going from 100 feet in the air down to 5 feet and then back up again ... repeatedly. "

Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
There were witness and video.

Link to video

"Roy Halladay appeared to be hot doggin' it in his plane in the moments before his crash -- making extreme and unusual changes in altitude ... this according to multiple witnesses. TMZ Sports has obtained footage shot by boaters who say the ex-MLB star's plane was going from 100 feet in the air down to 5 feet and then back up again ... repeatedly. "

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OlOuqaZVSsw" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Big GrinBig Grin that’s just what I was picturing.

I was wondering if he may have been trying to do high speed touch and go’s, and the hull drag was just too much for the kind of effing around he was doing. Like you said, no skills on the floats will get you. It’s definitely not something that should be a sport pilot endorsement.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:

All the prep in the world won't save you if you don't have the skill to back it up or the mental awareness to no do something fun that will exceed your skill level.

Agree, but everything is speculation coming from TMZ at this point. Maybe he was screwing around or maybe something else was going on and the eye witnesses want to get on TV.

quote:
Big GrinBig Grin that’s just what I was picturing.

And sorry, but nothing is funny right now about that Top Gun joke. It's pretty cold and some of us really admired the guy.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So they market this thing like a sports car, sell it to rich guys who haven't earned their spurs flying planes, then show all sorts of cool low flying videos over the water - implying that if you hit the water it's like bailing off a wake board.

At 100kts the water is a fucking brick wall unless you are landing properly on floats. Imagine driving your car at 100mph into a body of water - but you have no airbags and you'll likely tumble like the plane.

That dude was acting the fool, flying too low and probably using the company line that he was practicing landing <wink wink>. And he paid the price. RIP.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:

Agree, but everything is speculation coming from TMZ at this point. Maybe he was screwing around or maybe something else was going on and the eye witnesses want to get on TV.

Sure, the impact wasn't on video, but a reasonable person can infer how he was flying (like a jackass) beforehand.

Sure, he could have been straight and level, then had a MX issue, or stroked out and augured in.

But I stand by my reasoned and experienced option that he simply fucked it away.

Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks

And sorry, but nothing is funny right now about that Top Gun joke. It's pretty cold and some of us really admired the guy.

While I’m a Phillies fan, and a Roy Halladay fan (I have his jersey), I’m still a pilot.

What you may not realize is that the aviation community takes this sort of shit very seriously. We speculate, we joke to ease the pain, and we scrutinize every detail.

What we don’t have time for is assholes without the street cred or experience who bite it, and make the rest of the community look bad. While we strive to learn and better ourselves from accidents and incidents, I can already tell you how the factual NTSB report will read: low time rookie dies while effing around when he shouldn’t have.

So, that said, we’re gonna joke about it.

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'm a pilot and aircraft owner.
I've seen what happens when someone does stupid shit with an aircraft.
A seaplane rating requires a LOT of training and hours.
But this is a LSA/SPL.
In other words, 1/4 the training the rest of us have to have.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine a high performance sport car. But it’s also a boat. And a plane.

Sell it to a dude with lotsa $$$. If I read the minimum requirements you can fly this thing with <30hrs
( https://www.iconaircraft.com/flight-center ), but then again I’m not completely in the know about how the LSA piloting / certifications go. But I think that’s right - you need 20 total hours to be an LSA then do the icon syllabus of 1.5 and 7 hours. YGTBFSM.

Pitch this to any experienced pilot and see your response.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ac26:
It seems to me the crash was a lot like John Denver’s fatal crash. Very low and fast over water or land is always dangerous. There is little time to deal with any outside influences or inattention.

Roy Halladay was an amazing pitcher. Condolences to his family. RIP

I thought Denver's issue was that he took off without realizing he was low on gas.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Forgive me, but too bad he didn't love his family a little bit more. If he had, maybe he wouldn't have committed what amounts to suicide.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post