SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Crash in Gulf of Mexico
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Crash in Gulf of Mexico Login/Join 
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Usually it’s the van ride between the airport and the hotel and back out to the airport again.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SilverWolf:
Safety statistics show that the most dangerous flight time for pilots is between 500-1000 hrs. Cool
Interesting. I took a newly minted private pilot and trained him for instrument rating. Most of the training, as in "learning," was done in the simulator. When a task had been learned thoroughly, in the simulator, we got in the V-Tail and flew, to practice what he had learned. Once he was instrument rated, he bought into the V-Tail as a partner.

At first, insurance rates went up by about 50% compared to what they had been when I was the sole named pilot. As soon as he passed the 500 hour total time milestone, insurance premiums came way down.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Safety statistics show that the most dangerous flight time for pilots is between 500-1000 hrs. Cool
That was the #'s they quoted to us in the military, but I don't know if it equates to civie time.

As with all things, it depends.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
there are TONS of very good pilots that wouldn't dare land and take off in St. Barts.
How many pilots does it take, to make a ton of them?
About 8 Captains or 16 FOs on average. Big Grin
We won't even discuss FAs. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rhino, cool it. Let the show proceed.

posted Hide Post

Even old pilots can screw the pooch.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Were you dropped on your head as a child?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
After reading the comments Yeager makes in his twitter account, I'd say that's a good thing.

What does he say, dare I ask?

I do not use social media, but I've read some of the public comments in his twitter account. I was not impressed to see him respond nastily to a young man's respectful questions. That frankly said all I need to know and I could not care less what he's done. If he doesn't have time to talk to "the little" people who respect him, I don't care what he has to say.

I'm much rather have met John Glenn.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
After reading the comments Yeager makes in his twitter account, I'd say that's a good thing.
What does he say, dare I ask?
I do not use social media, but I've read some of the public comments in his twitter account. I was not impressed to see him respond nastily to a young man's respectful questions.
I lease my hangar from the owner, a senior pilot with one of the U.S. airlines. He tells a funny story on himself, involving Chuck Yeager.

When Buzz, my landlord, was a young Air Force pilot, he flew Lears. He was basically a chauffeur for Air Force VIPs. On one flight, his VIP passenger was Chuck Yeager, who evidently was not familiar with the LearJet.

He asked Buzz a question about the configuration of the airplane, specifically the wing. Buzz told him that the devices he was asking about were for boundary layer control, continuing to explain, "You see, General Yeager, at high speed, the airflow over the wing..."

Yeager cut him off, saying, "I know all about high speed flight, Buzz."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I'm curious.

Is anyone here wearing a wire?

Smile

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Really? I'd always told it was those hours between 100 and 200. Basically from when the pilot thinks he knows it all until he scares the shit out of himself and figures out maybe there is more to learn...

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
I'm curious.

Is anyone here wearing a wire? Smile
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I am NOT lecturing anyone. I'm just saying that it's different. Many aspects are different. Experience in one area does not necessarily mean you have experience in others. For example, there are TONS of very good pilots that wouldn't dare land and take off in St. Barts.

Different experience is different. Is all I am saying.

You're actually lecturing us that landing on land is different than landing on water. You mean to say that water is not the same as land? Do you think anyone else knows?

You're not a pilot. You're a passenger.

You're a passenger on the ignore list, now.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I am NOT lecturing anyone. I'm just saying that it's different. Many aspects are different. Experience in one area does not necessarily mean you have experience in others. For example, there are TONS of very good pilots that wouldn't dare land and take off in St. Barts.

Different experience is different. Is all I am saying.

You're actually lecturing us that landing on land is different than landing on water. You mean to say that water is not the same as land? Do you think anyone else knows?

You're not a pilot. You're a passenger.

You're a passenger on the ignore list, now.

I'm assuming reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I stated at the beginning of one post "I am not a pilot"

Not quite following you on the land versus water analogy, please speak English or post when YOU ARE SOBER.

Have a wonderful night, sorry if you've planned otherwise! Are you and Rhinoso brothers as you both act a lot alike, or perhaps the same person and you're his bi=polar other half?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm much rather have met John Glenn.

I met him. A large group of scouts had a camp or pow-wow in the desert at a drop zone where I worked and jumped. He came to speak, and I asked if I might have a moment to meet him. He took the time to meet with everyone who wished, and not only to shake hands or sign an autograph, but to sit and talk. Very gracious gentleman. I didn't hear his talk, and only had a few minutes, and he was tired, yet he took the time.

I had an opportunity to meet Yeager a few years back, but did something else, instead.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fascinating

Tell us more

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
P.S.- udas in the stew field

There will be a signal mirror inspection at 0530 hours and gentlemen, I expect your shit to be shiny.

Dismissed

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
By the way-

Any of you sumbitches wearing a wire?

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes...

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Holy smokes...
Vito here's gonna search youse. Don't get nervous.