SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Crash in Gulf of Mexico
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Crash in Gulf of Mexico Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
After reading the comments Yeager makes in his twitter account, I'd say that's a good thing.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a guy that age posts on twitter, but it seems to me to be more of a teenage thing, or for those who act like teenagers. I don't think I've ever seen a twitter. Modern world, I suppose.

What does he say, dare I ask?

quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Along I-15, South Salt Lake area, by chance?

This was during the late 70's, or early 1980's, IIRC, somewhere near Cape May County, NJ.

Ah. You'd mentioned Utah; I was thinking of another incident that happened in that state, but more recently; mid to late eighties, I believe.

I had a friend, an Army helicopter pilot, who got a degree in art. I went to a gallery display she did. One of her works was entitled "A Helicopter Pilot's Nightmare," and was a view off some foothills, looking through a tangle of powerlines. Very scary stuff; I used to have similar bad dreams. You know the ones where you're being chased and you're running in molassas, can't move? These were low light dreams, flying, trapped under a maze of powerlines, trying to get through.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does he say, dare I ask?

Yeager lost me back in the mid-90s when he gave us a lecture saying it was ok to have a fighter without a gun (F-35, or whatever they called its predecessor in the developmental terms). He said AIM120 missiles were close to 99% now and "good enough".

We couldn't believe what we were hearing.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'll fly with an old, high hour pilot in almost any weather at almost anytime, than to drive with a young driver on a good day.

Having done so with both on many occasions.

Not me so much, at least not without knowing the pilot very well. There are many high time pilots out there that have just repeated the same hour a whole bunch of times and not really learned anything from it.

A lot of flight time gives one the opportunity to learn a lot, but a lot of flight time doesn't guarantee that one has learned a lot.

I agree. If you're doing the same exact trip, in the same exact area, always in good weather and always landing at the same airport. Then you're not really learning anything new. Inclement weather really gives you practice on navigating and flying off of instruments.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
I'll fly with an old, high hour pilot in almost any weather at almost anytime, than to drive with a young driver on a good day.

Not me so much, at least not without knowing the pilot very well. There are many high time pilots out there that have just repeated the same hour a whole bunch of times and not really learned anything from it.

A lot of flight time gives one the opportunity to learn a lot, but a lot of flight time doesn't guarantee that one has learned a lot.

I agree. If you're doing the same exact trip, in the same exact area, always in good weather and always landing at the same airport. Then you're not really learning anything new. Inclement weather really gives you practice on navigating and flying off of instruments.

You might be surprised.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You might be surprised.

Even if it is “the same exact trip...” if you aren’t learning something, you probably aren’t paying attention. There is always something that can be done better, more efficiently, with more awareness of the environment you are operating in, etc.
If it really is the same exact trip for a pilot he isn’t fully involved in the process.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might be surprised.
Nah, he's never surprised. Maybe he's Yeager? Big Grin

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You might be surprised.
Uh, Jim... You need to remember that you're talking to SIGforum's aviation maven. There is very little about this topic that our rowboat driver is not willing to share his in-depth knowledge.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -- Mark Twain

Kind of reminds me of a man who has flown an airplane......

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -- Mark Twain

Kind of reminds me of a man who has flown an airplane......
Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be different and is good practice. BUT, it is pretty routine to fly in and out of the same airport and to go for a 1 hour spin to nowhere, than it is to navigate and fly cross country or to a different country, figuring out your fuel stops and routes, and landing and taking off at different airports,FBOs. with different sized runways, through different weather patterns, air traffic patterns and so forth and so on, rather than going up for an hour in a circle every sunny Saturday.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, it can be different and is good practice. BUT, it is pretty routine to fly in and out of the same airport and to go for a 1 hour spin to nowhere, than it is to navigate and fly cross country or to a different country, figuring out your fuel stops and routes, and landing and taking off at different airports,FBOs. with different sized runways, through different weather patterns, air traffic patterns and so forth and so on, rather than going up for an hour in a circle every sunny Saturday.
Just kind of curious... What are your numbers?

How much PIC time do you have logged? How much actual instrument time as PIC? How much cross country time? Do you have a high performance endorsement? Complex endorsement?

Inquiring minds want to know. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, about 40 years ago, that's exactly what I did (Not PIC, I was MIB). Flew in and out of the same airfield, mostly circles about 2 miles up, round and round for hours on end. Always the same routine. Boring circles, shoot approaches, finally land. We did a few other things, and mostly the same thing over and over again, as well. Maybe a little extra credit, because it sort of dark out.

But I would fly Any Time, Any Place with those pilots, in a heartbeat.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Just kind of curious... What are your numbers?

How much PIC time do you have logged? How much actual instrument time as PIC? How much cross country time? Do you have a high performance endorsement? Complex endorsement?

Inquiring minds want to know. Smile

I am not a pilot. However, I have flown in the second seat of well over a 100 private planes.....everything from a steerman biplane to a T6 Texan, to a Lake seaplane, to a otter on floats, TBM 850, numerous Cessnas from 150's to 412's to several single pilot private jets. Taking off and landing from water, grass runways, airports etc. Everything from a 1 hour flight in circles taking off and landing at the same airport to flying cross country and to various other countries and islands. I've flown with dozens of different pilots and many of them instructors. There are some I would NEVER fly with again. One of those being my female cousin who actually flew in the Amelia Earhardt cross country womans pilot race (who once landed at an airport that had been closed for years by accident instead of the correct airport.

There is a totally different set of circumstances and planning when it comes to flying cross country or to another country, than there is to simply take off and fly for an hour and land at the same airport with the same weather. There are a totally different set of circumstances between flying IFR and VFR. Same goes for flying in and out of various countries.

I'm not saying that someone who simply flies in and out of the same airport can't be a very good pilot. Just that there are a total different set of circumstances when you're flying cross country or just up in the air for an hour taking off and landing at the same airport. Just like I wouldn't trust your typical G 550 pilot to fly a Super Cub all over the Bush (Alaska) successfully without dieing in the first few months. Or a Bush pilot that flies a Super Cub in Alaska to Fly a G550 from Chicago into St. Barts.

posted Hide Post
This morning, along with multiple drop test loads, I put out an experimental space program multiple-parachute recovery system with a test load.

That's as close as I'll come to walking on the moon, unless I trample a moon pie into the grass, if I can find any grass in which to trample.

Does that count? It's the best I have to offer (disclaimer; at present, I have no moon pie).

posted Hide Post
Jimmy, you fucking crack me up!!!! Let me guess, Holiday Inn Express last night?

Are you sure you aren’t a relateive of Kegger26?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You might be surprised.
Uh, Jim... You need to remember that you're talking to SIGforum's aviation maven. There is very little about this topic that our rowboat driver is not willing to share his in-depth knowledge.

All this from our flying lawn mower driver. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:

U
I am not a pilot. However, I have flown in the second seat of well over a 100 private planes.....everything from a steerman biplane to a T6 Texan, to a Lake seaplane, to a otter on floats, TBM 850, numerous Cessnas from 150's to 412's to several single pilot private jets. Taking off and landing from water, grass runways, airports etc. Everything from a 1 hour flight in circles taking off and landing at the same airport to flying cross country and to various other countries and islands. I've flown with dozens of different pilots and many of them instructors. There are some I would NEVER fly with again. One of those being my female cousin who actually flew in the Amelia Earhardt cross country womans pilot race (who once landed at an airport that had been closed for years by accident instead of the correct airport.

There is a totally different set of circumstances and planning when it comes to flying cross country or to another country, than there is to simply take off and fly for an hour and land at the same airport with the same weather. There are a totally different set of circumstances between flying IFR and VFR. Same goes for flying in and out of various countries.

I'm not saying that someone who simply flies in and out of the same airport can't be a very good pilot. Just that there are a total different set of circumstances when you're flying cross country or just up in the air for an hour taking off and landing at the same airport. Just like I wouldn't trust your typical G 550 pilot to fly a Super Cub all over the Bush (Alaska) successfully without dieing in the first few months. Or a Bush pilot that flies a Super Cub in Alaska to Fly a G550 from Chicago into St. Barts.

Several single pilot jets? Which ones?

Have you ever flown internationally? What has that got to do with low altitude flight and landing (or crashing) on water?

How does cross country flying make you a better pilot?

Yes, flying cross country is different than orbiting the traffic pattern. One is a circle or square, and the other is a long line.

Hours, by themselves, don't mean much. What one does with those hours, and more importantly, what one takes from them, makes all the difference. Experience and hours are not the same.

posted Hide Post
Guppy meet Jimmy, Jimmy meet Guppy.

Honestly, I think you two will get along MARVELOUSLY.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, guppy --neither you nor I really know what Jimmy is talking about, but as far as single pilot jets, there are a few members of the Cessna Citation family that are certified for single pilot operation, with a few gotchas involved. It takes more than just a straightforward type rating; the pilot has to meet specified experience criteria, the pilot's certificate must specifically state single pilot operation along with the type rating, there are autopilot requirements. I'm not sure that I have covered all the bases, there may be more that I have left out. I am not at a place right now where I have my reference material available.

Jimmy also states that he has flown in a Cessna 412. He's one up on me there. I have never seen, nor even heard of a 412. In the 400 series, I have flown 402, 411, 414, and 421, but never heard of a 412.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

U

Have you ever flown internationally? What has that got to do with low altitude flight and landing (or crashing) on water?

How does cross country flying make you a better pilot?

Yes, flying cross country is different than orbiting the traffic pattern. One is a circle or square, and the other is a long line.

Hours, by themselves, don't mean much. What one does with those hours, and more importantly, what one takes from them, makes all the difference. Experience and hours are not the same.

Citation 5, Beachjet premier, Emrbair 300. I've flown in many 2 pilot jets as well.....Lear 45, G 4, G5, etc.

Yes I've flown internationally, Bahamas, Belize, Mexico, various islands in the Carribbean.

Flying cross country, you have various weather patterns you fly through, over, or around. Various airports at various altitudes that you fly in and out of for fuel stops. A lot of planning as to your route, fuel stops, range, altitude, accounting for wind speed and range etc. Some airports will have cross wind. Inclement weather. And, on and on.

Landing on water is a whole nother experience and planning when you're traveling especially when you're flying into various islands and need calmer water to land and no runways around. If it were easy or routine, Roy Halladay would still be alive.

Which is exactly as you mentioned, hours don't mean much it's what you do with those hours. If all you do is go up for an hour, fly around your county and always land, in always nice weather and always daylight. How are you going to know how to fly in the soup if you've never done it.