SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF called today for a trace on a handgun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF called today for a trace on a handgun Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
We were going through security at the airport in Irvine, CA today.. phone rang and I let it go to voicemail. I checked it right before boarding. Turns out it's the ATF calling wanting a copy of a 4473 from 1998 on a previous FFL I held. When an FFL gives up the heir license, the logbook and all paperwork (4473's) go to the ATF. I had nothing to offer them because they *should* already have it. I gave up that FFL in 1998/1999 because we moved to a condo and could not get the landlords permission. Any of you LEO or possible FFL's know why they would want a trace on a handgun unless it was used in a crime?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dry-fly,

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems odd that they would have your current cell phone number from an old FFL listing, I am sure it would have changed after all those years.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I've actually had the same cell number since 2004, oddly enough.

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That whole thing seems odd. Of course it is a governmental agency so God knows. I have gotten strange calls from various governmental agencies in the past. It always causes some degree of apprehension. I am curious to find out as well.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I don't see a mystery. When an FFL surrenders the records they are not digitized or entered into a database, just maintained on paper. They called you, and now know which ton(s) of paper they need to look thru.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Seems odd that they would have your current cell phone number from an old FFL listing, I am sure it would have changed after all those years.

Probably not hard for the Feds to find anyone's cell phone number

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Just hate the thought of something that went through my hands being involved in a crime. Although realistically it could have changed hands a dozen times after I sold it.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Just hate the thought of something that went through my hands being involved in a crime.

I would not give it a second thought.
quote:
Although realistically it could have changed hands a dozen times after I sold it.

True. But, even if it had been used in a crime by the very person who received from you legally, what are you going to do? Kick yourself? Feeling guilty? You did everything legally. You can't control what other folks do.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
All true I suppose.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
one of the few times you can say no and hang up on them

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily used in a violent crime. Traces are also done on guns recovered from prohibited persons or recovered under unusual circumstances.

In twenty years the gun may have changed hands multiple times.

Traces can also await in identifying stolen guns. I've seen stolen guns 1) not put into NCIC because the owner does not have a record of the serial number; 2) put into NCIC with the wrong number like the SKU number off the box instead of the serial number and 3) put into NCIC but dropped out because the record could not be re-validated when the agency lost contact with the reporting party.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Good info. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
If they call again just tell them you surrendered your FFL and they should go away... not a whole lot they can do to you since you're just a random civilian now (assuming all your paperwork was correct when you had your FFL) that's their problem now.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Not a big deal. They get thousands of trace requests a day. Your number just came up.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Well I'm still an FFL/SOT. Current one is a different license though. There was about a several year gap between the two.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Lots of different scenarios. My most fun guess is they confiscated it with a bunch of Fast and Furious guns from a Messican drug cartel. They're upset because it was the only one they didn't sell originally. Now the OP here is in big trouble because they know all the ones they let go were done illegally.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
I don't see a mystery. When an FFL surrenders the records they are not digitized or entered into a database, just maintained on paper. They called you, and now know which ton(s) of paper they need to look thru.

Uh huh.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9690 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I gave up our FFL in 1996 (Brady Regs couldn't comply with zoning) send 4473s to BATF but kept a copy just in case any stupid stuff would come up. I bet the ATF agent doing to look up thought it would be easier to call you to look up then for he/she try to find in their records warehouse. That also shows that BATF may not have converted any paper records to digital form which against the statute for them to keep in any form, as I remember. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Of all the firearms I've bought since 1994, an FFL has never given or offered me a copy of the 4473 I filled out..

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
They called me a few weeks ago for a copy of the 4473 on a guy that got denied. I don't know what came of it but when I told him he got denied he asked if the order of protection his wife had on him might do it.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post