SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to Tampa, FL in the morning, anything worthwhile?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to Tampa, FL in the morning, anything worthwhile? Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted
Going to Tampa FL for the weekend. My daughter tricked me into it. Smile

her favorite band is Anberlin. They disbanded four years ago. She told me that they were doing a reunion concert so I told her go buy two tickets and I'll take her.

Well, she didn't tell me they were reuniting for one night in Tampa, so well, she's doing good all year, she got her license, her grades are great and she went and got herself a part time job without being told to so I decided, fine we'll fly to Tampa for the weekend, hit the concert and do some stuff.

What's good to do on Saturday down there? Tomorrow's the concert so tomorrow is all planned out.

Thanks in advance!

This will be her first time flying too.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
When we passed through with the grandkids we did Busch Gardens Amusement Park and the beach / pier at Clearwater.

But that's not much help I expect...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tampa - Aquarium, downtown Tampa, is good. If she likes shopping, International Plaza is fancy & near airport. Busch Gardens for rides & animals.
Across the Bay, downtown St. Pete is lovely. The Dali Museum is great. If you want beaches suggest Fort DeSoto State Park, St. Pete Beach or Clearwater Beach.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Big Cat Rescue is in Tampa. They care for animals taken from road side zoos, drug dealers, people who bought “pets” and found out not such a good idea, etc.

Pretty cool tour - watching a tiger take off into their ~20 acre “playground” (they rotate the animals into it for ~2 weeks out of the smaller enclosures) and run full speed was very neat.

https://bigcatrescue.org/contact-bcr/?amp

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Busch Gardens is awesome both for the roller coasters and rides and the animals and zoo part.

Burns steak house is incredible

Ringling brothers house/ museum is about an hour drive.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ybor city = cigar shops

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I lived in the area for years. Can recommend restaurants.

Another vote for the Columbia restaurant. Great Spanish food and at a historic site.

For the best steakhouse in Tampa it's Bern's Steakhouse, but you will need to call ahead for a reservation.

There's also a Ruth's Chris in Tampa not far from downtown.

West across the bridge toward the beaches and my favorite for steaks and seafood is Bascom's Chophouse.

Drive all the way west to the beaches and catch a stunning sunset. For the best seafood it's the Salt Rock Grill on Indian Shores.

For rustic seafood dining and lots of crab it's the Original Crabby Bills on Indian Rocks Beach.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Look for Spanish / authentic food.

Enjoy the traffic, it suuuuuucks....

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Sorry no suggestions, but good job Dad on raising a great/responsible kid.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2671 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Fantastic gun store called Shooter's World near Carrolwood in Tampa. Can't remember the street, but it's a monster of a gun store.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Have lunch at Frenchie's on Clearwater Beach. Rent a convertible, that area is a lot more fun with the top down.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The weather is most likely nicer in Tampa than Cleveland Big Grin

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shooter's World near Carrolwood in Tampa.

https://www.shootersworld.com/

The original Hooters is in Clearwater,

http://www.originalhooters.com...ampa-bay/clearwater/

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am supposed to be in Tampa the week of Jan 04 for an interview with the ME Office.

We travel to the St Pete and Tampa area a couple of times a year to watch the Rays (Usually when they are playing the Orioles)

On Saturday mornings we always hit the Farmers Market that is held in the parking lot of Al Lang stadium (I think that is the name of it), which is near the Dali Museum.

We always get fresh hot macaroons and there used to be a family that sold incredible paella.

(That was also the place I first tried paella.)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Go up to Ybor City...beautiful, old community w fantastic Cuban food. The few times we’ve been, we haven’t had the patience to wait at Columbia Restaurant in Ybor...I failed to make reservations. We did discover The Stone Soup Company down the street...loved it so much, we’ve gone to it all 3 trips there.

Posts: 740 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! She decided on bigcatrescue and ybor city.

Traffic seems normal to me. We have alot of construction in Ohio so traffic is always heavy.

It’s raining all day today and tomorrow so I skipped the convertible. She doesn’t like it anyway. My daily driver is a convertible and so is her mom’s.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
Cigar city brewery.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So would love to be at that show!!

What venue are they playing??

She is just turning 16 I presume? That is a little young to be an Anberlin fan since they were big in the early 2000s. Had a couple decent albums a few years back.
None the less great taste in music.

On top of that you’re an awesome Dad for taking her.

Enjoy!!

Ready Fuels is still my favorite!

We saw RED a few years back in Tampa at an outdoor venue but I can’t recall the name. And it was a good time. If your daughter like Anbelin she’ll likely enjoy RED as well.
They played with Nine Lashes who I had never heard of and they blew me away for an opener that had just released their debut album. Sadly I have not been to excited with their subsequent albums.

The venue was called the Florence or Tropicana maybe I can’t recall.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Me

Seriously, where are you staying? Would like to meet another invisible friend. Will send a note to you profile email

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post