SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Exterior house painting quote - GTG?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exterior house painting quote - GTG? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
This is the first time I've ever had a house painting job done. Key aspects to the quote I received:

1) Sherwin Williams elastomeric SherLastic paint (2 colors: house body, house trim)

2) 1 coating: spray followed by roller

3) all the usual cleaning and repairs, including trenching/backfill at the foundation, done.

4) About $2.5 per square foot of painted surface

Good to go? Or something sounds off? Sherlastic elastomeric paint okay?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where do you live? Climate has a lot to do with choosing paint.

The most important thing is to have surface clean and dry. I suggest pressure washing with bleach mixture to kill mildew and the spores as essential first step.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Prep. It's always about the prep. I'd see if they've done any others nearby and go look at them. Up close, not from the curb.

Once they start if you come home during the first day and there's paint on the walls and not a mountain of caulk tubes piled up, you may have chosen poorly. Also if they think scrape is something you do in the presence of royalty, same answer.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want 2 coats to begin with. Basically every manufacturer recommends it

Why elastomeric? Block house? Stucco? Place you live probe to wind driven rain above 90mph?

Elastomerics typically are prone to fade quickly depending on the color

They also recommend a primer underneath for proper adhesion

They have a shorter life span compared to other products

The coverage per gal is significantly less than traditional paint

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
My region is generally dry and hot - inland but red leaning part of this shitty state.

Quoting vendor has a pretty favorable review / rating, is a little costly (and admittedly aren't competitive, won't do small jobs). So, I think they do the job right (prep/clean/fix).

Elastomeric seems to be the recommended type for this region for stucco houses.

They said primer is not required for the colors we're using. I can request additional coats but they said it's not worth the extra cost -- don't need it. The coating they will do is thick and will adhere well if they spray and then roll.

One person who painted is happy (been a few years now). But I'm one to trust but verify, especially since I have no prior experience. Smile

I need this to last 10 years (will plan to sell and move by then). I don't want to repaint to sell.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Where do you live? Climate has a lot to do with choosing paint.

The most important thing is to have surface clean and dry. I suggest pressure washing with bleach mixture to kill mildew and the spores as essential first step.

Prep is key, but don’t use bleach. It doesn’t kill molds and the likes. Use a true anti-microbial, peroxide based is where it’s at.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
My region is generally dry and hot - inland but red leaning part of this shitty state.

Quoting vendor has a pretty favorable review / rating, is a little costly (and admittedly aren't competitive, won't do small jobs). So, I think they do the job right (prep/clean/fix).

Elastomeric seems to be the recommended type for this region for stucco houses.

They said primer is not required for the colors we're using. I can request additional coats but they said it's not worth the extra cost -- don't need it. The coating they will do is thick and will adhere well if they spray and then roll.

One person who painted is happy (been a few years now). But I'm one to trust but verify, especially since I have no prior experience. Smile

I need this to last 10 years (will plan to sell and move by then). I don't want to repaint to sell.

It appears you are depending a lot of what the contractor is telling you regarding it not being necessary for primer and additional coats of paint being not worth it, are they giving you a warranty for the paint and/or workmanship? You don't want to have to re-paint to sell in around 10 years (completely get that), would it not be insurance to put a little more into it now to keep it looking good for years to come?

How booked up is this contractor? Sometimes I get the feeling they book so many jobs they can't possibly keep up, which leads to short cutting, sometimes on the most important steps, like priming and 2nd coat of paint. Just something to think about. If you want to feel better, get a 2nd or 3rd quote from contractors in that area, not just yelp reviews, you really will benefit speaking to the contractors in person at your actual location to get a feel if they "walk the walk" or "talk the talk" (yeah..it was in a movie) and see if they match up or not.

The contractors should be able to give you a play by play on how they are going to prep and paint your home, ( e.g. how many days to prep, how they are going to prep..sanding, caulking, spackle, etc., how many days to paint). Also I would ask how many crew members is the contractor committing to your job and how experienced are they? You don't want apprentice level painters doing whatever they want to do...short cut and go home early. Is there going to be a dedicated foreman on the job or is the owner himself on the job to answer questions from the crew or homeowner? Good Luck!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Let me start off with has your house ever had a primer sealer coat or two? Most pros fail to do this. Primer sealer coat is absolutely the most important step in painting houses, cars, motorcycles.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post