SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Simple Video Editing Software
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simple Video Editing Software Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted
Looking for recommendations for software to edit some vacation videos I took while on vacation last week in Mexico. I only need basic features such as removing some content and joining multiple videos together.

Free is nice, but I am willing to pay for software if it's not super expensive. I only want to do some basic stuff.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
If you have a Mac, iMovie is like $15 or maybe free. If you have a PC, you can use the built in photos app (there's a video editor in there).

I've used iMovie but not photos app.

I use Camtasia. It costs a few bucks but I use it all the time.

Posts: 45372 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Davinci Resolve trial is free. It does 90 percent of what the paid version does. No limitations or watermarks. (Mac or PC)

It's insanely complicated and powerful but if you stay on the "CUT" page you'll be fine. It's a very simple "magnetic" drag and drop.

It's used for quick rough edits, but will be perfect for what you need.

The Blackmagic Design site has excellent tutorials.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I read through these recommendations, and they look legit enough. From the list and for your purposes, I'd look at OpenShot or VideoPad.

https://www.shopify.com/blog/b...deo-editing-software

Davinci Resolve is complicated as fuck. Right up there with Adobe Premiere. It's like trying to use Photoshop when Microsoft Paint is your skill level.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Aeteocles,

I'm guessing you haven't seen the latest versions. The CUT page is different than the EDIT page. It's a simple drag and drop that automatically moves the timeline for you as you add or delete media.

It's a screen a professional editor would never use, but a novice absolutely could.

ETA: Using your analogy, it's Photoshop that has Microsoft Paint tools.

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Aeteocles,

I'm guessing you haven't seen the latest versions. The CUT page is different than the EDIT page. It's a simple drag and drop that automatically moves the timeline for you as you add or delete media.

It's a screen a professional editor would never use, but a novice absolutely could.

ETA: Using your analogy, it's Photoshop that has Microsoft Paint tools.

Ah, yes, you are right. I haven't used it since version 14/15. They're on version 17 now (comes with a free Speed Editor controller too!)

Thanks for the heads up, I've been meaning to revisit Davinci Resolve as I'm tired of paying for a Premiere License subscription.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Both Windows and Mac have basic video editing built right into the OS if I'm not mistaken?

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
For Windows 10 users:

As the others have said, the easiest would probably be the video editor that is built into Windows Photos app, the below are a couple of tutorials:

https://www.howtogeek.com/3555...hidden-video-editor/

https://www.windowscentral.com...eo-editor-windows-10

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Thanks! We went to Playa del Carmen, Mexico in early February and my 10 YO son got SCUBA certified. He did all his pool and class work here in Denver, and his 4 open water dives in PdC.

Here's a video I need to edit. I thought I stopped recording, but must not have hit the button correctly. I also didn't set the date correctly on the camera. It shows 1/5/2018 but is actually 2/5/2020. I doubt I'll be able to edit that out, but it's fine.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Good job on the vid.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Indeed! Very nice!

Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I edited some videos using the free video editing software which came with my Mac mini - iMovie, and my Windows machines - Video Editor. I think they did a really good job, and they are free. Also, there are detailed tutorials on YouTube.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post