SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cars: Lowrider culture spreads
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cars: Lowrider culture spreads Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
The Chevy Impala in the third photo is gorgeous.

“A Texas man has spent 17 years travelling the world researching how different cultures have embraced Lowriding - the practice of lowering cars, painting them in brightly colored, bold designs and driving them 'low and slow'.

Lowriding originated in Los Angeles in the 1950s, but Luke Dorsett has seen the cars, and the fanatics, in Japan, Taiwan, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, and China…”

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...-embraced-world.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I saw an episode of Jay Leno's Garage where he had the car from the first Cheech & Chong movie where the guy who made it was supposedly the "father of lowriders", the car was called Rosey something, they rode around in it and said it was really famous.
I never cared for it (those type of vehicles) - a cultural thing no doubt.
For me I prefer going the opposite direction aka the Monster Truck. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all types of automotive subculture. What I don't like are the muscle-car guys that make fun of the import tuners, or vice-versa, etc. It's all about love of the machine and the freedom it represents.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have an Impala convertible low rider. Appreciate the artistic effort put into them. Would also love to have a pure '60's muscle car.

Blondes, brunettes, etc...

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I don’t like the kind that are painted with
flashy colors. I really like the one that
Denzel Washington drove in the movie Training Day. Simple black paint job, but it has the hydraulics that made it hop.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had to quickly slow to almost a dead stop because I came up behind a lowrider that had to go over a little bump in the road that I had never even noticed before. He was almost dragging the ground and obviously had no suspension.
His personalized tag was "YBEHI" (Why be high)

Well for once reason, so you don't nearly cause wrecks by stopping in the middle of a busy road to cross every ant sized bump or turn into a parking lot.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh, my grandma drives a '64:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
No hydraulics but the right car low with a chop top and a good visor works for me.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
No hydraulics but the right car low with a chop top and a good visor works for me.

How about a 1940 Mercury?

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'd wager the best automotive painters have strong ties to the lowrider community. I've never seen more beautiful paint than on lowriders.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful cars, works of art in their own right.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:

How about a 1940 Mercury?

Very much yes! But how can that NOT have a visor?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
I'd love to have an Impala convertible low rider. Appreciate the artistic effort put into them. Would also love to have a pure '60's muscle car.

Blondes, brunettes, etc...

Same. I just wouldn’t want a mural painted on it (just a good paint job, one color), but I love the Impalas. They make great “cruisers”l especially bagged. I still love 50’s Ford trucks and the same people that do the low riders do some killer shit to the trucks of that era.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Funny how the ‘64 Impala became THE standard palette for creating a low rider. Availability (and cost) led to the customizing of other model years—I love the ‘61 bubble top, but the garage in Phoenix loaded with ‘64s, illustrates that it’s still the standard.

They’re not for me, but I would love to see a show that featured them.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
I appreciate all types of automotive subculture. What I don't like are the muscle-car guys that make fun of the import tuners, or vice-versa, etc. It's all about love of the machine and the freedom it represents.

Good point.
I wouldn't want one myself... I hit curbs with the front scoop when parking the Acura. I hate that scraping sound. It's low enough for me!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a stock 59 Impala convertible and come across other 58-64 Impala owners who customize their cars - low riders and hot rodders. Some of the custom paint jobs on the low riders are incredible.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cadzilla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKiOj0Rl4Ns

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an automotive painter and I can't even imagine the time and skill it takes to paint some of those cars.

Posts: 286 | Location: MI | Registered: October 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to do something like this:

With one of these:

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post