SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hot/copper/slab-1mm hole
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot/copper/slab-1mm hole Login/Join 
posted
If you understood that, please let me drink from your fountain of knowledge.

House flooded. Repair involved:

1)Cut copper line;
2)Brass fittings at the ends;
3)Offset of PVC pipe-four (4) elbows.

Repair performed yesterday. Today, moisture appears at one end of the copper/fitting area. Not dripping, just moisture. At the other end---dry as a bone.

Was the repair correctly made? House built 1990.

Fwiw, basically incommunicado for now. Should get back to the forum tonight (with the corresponding fingers-crossed thing).

In anticipation, thanks.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If its wet then no, the soldering job did not work if you are saying it was capped and soldered shut.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replying.

No solder. Brass fittings clamped(crimped?).

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If copper is in the slab, make sure you provide a complete barrier between any copper and the slab.

Soluble chlorides and other chemicals can cause galvanic corrosion of copper.

Some copper is coated to prevent this, but soldering will remove those coatings.

(Just saw where you said no solder...)

Plumbing store should have a solution you can apply or help you figure out what you need.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
A picture is worth a thousand words. Wink

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me go back a bit. No solder, no clamp. Either pressure fitted or crimped.

Thanks Sigmonkey. One thing that worries me is the interaction of brass and copper, as to durability.

No, not doing that job, relying on plumber. I know my limitations.

posted Hide Post
quote:
A picture

One instance where words carry a more powerful description. Big Grin

It's a mess. It probably started leaking about a week and a half ago. When the water heater gave only lukewarm water.

Btw, line is under the slab. Remembering bits here and there. Blame the pleasantries of hotel living.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:...

Thanks Sigmonkey. One thing that worries me is the interaction of brass and copper, as to durability.

Copper and brass are "friendly", no need to worry.

The potential is concrete can have solubles that are activated by moisture and become electrolytic, and that is what causes the copper to leach out and thin to a point of pinhole leaks.

Most copper is either coated or sleeved with vinyl tube where it is in the slab or in the backfill.

I figure the added cost and time to do all I can to prevent spending more time and money to do it over is worth every bit.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Gatorbite was used and the pipe wasn't sanded down well as to allow the seal to leak

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see, thanks.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Well water by chance? Is the moisture on the inlet end?

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The water line coming into a home will often sweat because it's about 50 degrees, and the home is typically warmer. The fitting used is either a sharkbite or pro-press, and if it's just condensation, ok. If the gathering of drips is only at the fitting, it's the fitting.

Sigmonkey is correct that copper doesn't play nice with direct concrete contact.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much. Valuable information. Btw, no well water.

To eliminate possibilities, I'm going to clean that area tomorrow morning with a wet paper towel. The six dehumidifiers and around 15 fans should dry it completely by the next morning. If it's not dry, then I'll know there's something wrong there.

Today, when I first saw it I immediately thought moisture. I then wiped it with my finger and it "smudged" the area. But right now, I'm not so certain it's moisture. It's just what looks like a wet area. There's no drip, ground below is dry. What confuses me is that at the other end it's dry as a bone. Condensation in that particular area is a possibility. Of course, I want to eliminate possibilities.

Regardless, I'll make certain that a barrier, besides the earth that was extracted to reach it, is placed between the copper line and the concrete. Thanks so very much again.

Let me put it this way. This is new stuff to me. One of the things that I've learned is that it is recommended for this area, per the sonar leak detection guy, that when the temperature is expected to hit 45 and lower, a dripping faucet be left open to relieve pressure. I knew about 32 up north, no idea about the 45 degrees down here. He told me that whenever a "cold spell" like that hits the area it means great business for him.

posted Hide Post
Fwiw, among the things learned by this experience:

If your water heater ceases unexpectedly to heat water, you are getting only lukewarm, call a plumber. What happened to us was that there was a leak making the water heater to run continuously. Elements literally disintegrated.

Make certain of the definition of "cold spell" in your area. Simplified, houses are built according to such factors in the particular area. Specs for a house in upper NY state are not the same as for those in Florida (a big duh! for me).

From word of mouth---if you hear loud, unexplained noises coming from the house which cannot be explained by poltergeist activity, do a thorough check and if still unresolved have the house inspected. Pipes tend to burst at the most inappropriate moments. Pipes do firmly believe that the middle of the night is perhaps the best time to go bang/splash/swoosh.

Insurance will not pay for the actual parts repair. If the part costs $1.00, that's $1.00 they will not pay.

The pleasantries of hotel living is not everything it's cracked up to be.