SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just an innocent question: How many of you own a cannon?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just an innocent question: How many of you own a cannon? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
No, not a miniature cannon desk toy and not a large-bore rifle or handgun. I'm talking about an honest-to-goodness functional cannon or siege mortar.

Innocent question. Peeeeeerfectly innocent question, is all.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who owns one. If I knew how to post a video I could share it with you but in the meantime here is a still shot.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
These things are NOT cheap!

1897 Driggs Ordnance Co. MK IX Navy Deck Cannon
Starting Bid: $55,000.00

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868951209

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I do not. But, earlier this week I read this thread: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6770018274. I was curious what the forum was about so I did a Google and found that they, coincidentally to your question, have a sub forum on black powder cannons.

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/...acoast-artillery.88/

I think one would be a hoot. Years ago, I read an article in one of the gun magazines about a guy that built a black powder cannon that looked identical to a 75mm howitzer. The work and detail were amazing. I remember him stating that nobody ever tailgated him when he was pulling it down the freeway.

Found some BP WW2 cannons I believe. https://www.fototime.com/ftweb...&inv=19D35BB8A1282BC

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I do not, but one of my customers has a cannon and a Gatling gun on caisson flaking the couch in his living room. The first time there I was admiring them and asked who built such reproductions.

He stated he wouldn't know, as both were the real thing.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I don't, but I want one.
I want to put it in my front yard, pointed toward the road.
My personal preference is a civil war 12 lb Napoleon.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Lancaster ex mayor has many cannons. He sets a few off on 7/4 and new years. If you want more info Para drop me a line. Pickle Rick.

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Ummmm, I know how to use one of said cannons....
I was a Gunner’s mate in the service....
Not only maintain, but I know how to load them and lay them and what shot to use under what circumstances..

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
I do not own a cannon. But I've always found them fascinating. And on the off chance this is a karma, I wanted to make sure I had an entry in the thread.

Big Grin

Posts: 965 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None for me, but the post I retired from has several on display:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11521

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I don't own a cannon, but it looks like one would be a nice addition to my 'arsenal'

can we do a group buy on a few and move them around at random?

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I imagine it's illegal to own one in my this state.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't say I do, but there's plenty to get up close to here in Charleston and inspect. Some of them have information about them, others are just on display randomly. Always thought it would be a great experience to see some of those monsters used.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I wish.

It doesn't need to function, I just want it for out in the yard to scare the neighbors.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Only one.

P1010378 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

My friend builds black powder cannons and mountain howitzers.
Many years ago while admiring one of his builds in his shop, I mentioned I wouldn't mind owning one.
And that I really wasn't concerned with cosmetic appearance historical accuracy, only functionality.
About a year later I got an email with several attached photos.
So I had not committed to buying a cannon, and I was quite concerned on the potential impact to my wallet.
Knowing some of his mountain howitzers were approaching $10K, I asked what he needed to make it mine.
$300 out-the-door.
I happily paid and brought it home.
The bore size is golf ball patched with a piece of red shop rag. The barrel is about three feet long.
I do need to get it mounted on a wheeled carriage so it can be fired.
I suspect as is it will just tip over backwards.

Edited to add a link:
Here are a couple of his builds.
https://drive.google.com/file/...ZFCfSnPa3EBM_X_/view

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I do, it is a short barrel 10mm. I do mostly handloads, since well its a cannon.

The thing is a riot at the range.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
It doesn't need to function...
mmmmmmm, no, yes it does.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't, but at least two of my neighbors do. I have seen and heard both. The guy behind me, I say that losly, it's a farm, and his back yard is about 2000 yards behind me. Fires his off on the 4th of July and a few other times. He also has a couple of guns with giggle switches on them.

I don't know him but I wish I did! Big Grin

The other guy is about a half mile down the road more. It's a civil war field gun of some kind. Never been to close to it. But he has fired it off over the years. Mostly on the 4th and other occasions like that.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don'y own one, but I sure do wish that I did. I would mount it in my front yard pointing at my drive way. I think it would be sooooo coooool!!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post