SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just an innocent question: How many of you own a cannon?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just an innocent question: How many of you own a cannon? Login/Join 
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I don't, but a family friend owns a 12 pounder Coehorn motar and a 3" ordnance rifle.

I remember seeing the 3-inch ordnance rifle fired for Confederate Memorial Day when I was a kid.

So....is the formation of the Sig Forum artillery in the offing? If we have an artillery, can we have a mounted cavalry, too? I'd love to have a reason to have a Henry Mare's Leg and a saddle scabbard.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Among other fun toys he has, a fellow I know has a functional 37MM cannon. I regret I can't remember what model it is but it is US WWII vintage.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We have a golf ball cannon and a bowling ball cannon.

This is the second shot with it. My Nephew volunteered to set it off.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6AdQJUaWJg

And the BB gun.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdC0HVpOy6g

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Mine is on back order ...
Damnit :/

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My B-I-L has a friend whose father works at National Forge, and designed and built one there. I have not seen it, but apparently it is very impressive.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Here’s an interesting view of receiving fire from a civil war cannon. Try not to duck. Link

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Many years ago at a shoot, a guy had a small mortar. It fired shot which was about tennis ball-size, I guess. I said to him "Man that's cool! how much powder do you use for a charge? A pound?"

His eyes got big and he said "No, man, about an ounce."

Laughing, I said "Oh, well, I guess I can't fire it, huh?"

"Oh, no," he said with a smile. "You can fire it."

"You just can't load it."

Big Grin

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I am not allowed to have such things. I'm not mature enough to use them responsibly. Closest I've come is a tennis ball cannon. Even then I have some regrets from using it at Stone Mountain back in the 80's. We used it as a mortar aimed at the river boat from concealed positions on the shore. I am also banned for life from the miniature golf in the park too.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Like cheesegrits, a close friend of mine owns a couple of Coehorns -- built them himself. They are an absolute blast (bad pun) to shoot. Calibers? Golf ball, 20-oz soda bottle, 4" PVC. With roughly a 35mm film can's worth of powder, he can launch an 8" segment of concrete-filled PVC over 150 yards. Great fun!

We took one of the larger ones to a local public range a few years ago. Someone downwind of us got a little uptight about the copious amounts of smoke we produced with one particular shot. Called the sheriff's department. Two deputies came out, examined the setup and the safety provisions we had taken, grinned, and hung around to spectate. We tried to get them to fire it... seems they didn't want to do that in uniform. Big Grin

My friend has also worked with a company out west called Seacoast Artillery, hosting them on one of their visits to this end of the country. Seacoast makes functional scale replicas of specific cannon models, and they are absolutely incredible. Functional works of machining art, they are.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I had one, fired it on a July 4th celebration, alas, it wasn't secured well enough and it rolled right off the bow of my boat into the deepest part of the lake.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A likely story Razz

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I am not allowed to have such things. I'm not mature enough to use them responsibly. Closest I've come is a tennis ball cannon. Even then I have some regrets from using it at Stone Mountain back in the 80's. We used it as a mortar aimed at the river boat from concealed positions on the shore. I am also banned for life from the miniature golf in the park too.

When I was in my early teens, we used to take two (metal) cans of tennis balls, cut the bottom out of one and duct tape it to the top of the other. Use a can opener to put a 'firing hole' near the base, then load with a couple squirts of lighter fluid and drop in a tennis ball. Bonus points for soaking the tennis ball in lighter fluid, too.

Next step was aim generally at the opposing team, bring lighter to firing hole, light. Flaming tennis ball cannons. Tons of fun.

We also had Jarts, though...times have changed.

Edit: Or maybe it was gasoline; I'm old and CRS.

Posts: 55 | Registered: July 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I had one for several years. It was a 2” bore. Golf balls out of it would go like crazy! Lead balls would penetrate a car door at 75 yards. Neighbors had a ball (pun intended) on the 4th of July taking turns firing blank loads (black powder in tin foil), very loud and lots of fire.

A friend has a bowling ball and a bowling pin mortars. Four ounces of BP will send a 16lb ball 800 to 1000 feet up and 400 yards down range.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
No cannon. But I might know of a guy who used to have a Trebuchet...

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Shit, now this is spiraling out of control.

I can’t afford armor, moat AND the cannon. Jesus the home owners association is gonna have kittens. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arty:
I don't, but I want one.
I want to put it in my front yard, pointed toward the road.
My personal preference is a civil war 12 lb Napoleon.

Ditto!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Here in scenic New Jersey, possessing a slingshot is a felony (no, no exceptions for "use on your property," "it only big enough to shoot small peanuts," or "it's a coat hanger and rubber bands." Literally, a felony merely to possess one.)

Oddly, possessing an antique cannon or replica is not prohibited, so this is a timely and relevant thread for me.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
This guy hunts hogs with a 40mm cannon he built and loads it with a broadhead spear (calling it an arrow feels silly), buckshot or a 1.5" steel ball.

If you want to skip to the fun, it's around 8:10 and after. He's got a number of videos, and some successful hunts with it.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do have one in the attic, but it doesn’t shoot steel or lead shot.

It fires potatoes. It has a five foot barrel, and the “chamber” is 16”x6”. The end cap has a square (hollow) that works as a measurement for propellant. It is built entirely of schedule 80 pipe.

Starting fluid (ether) is the propellant. It is ignited by a Coleman lantern striker.

I have had it since my early 20’s. Back then I thought nothing of Getting a few bags of taters and launching them into Lake Ray Hubbard. The last time I looked at it, when we moved and I stowed it away in the attic, I thought I must be getting old, as the thought of lighting off an ether bomb on my right thigh, terrifies me.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
If only he would ask about catapults, catapults big enough to sling a rotting, diseased horse carcass 600 yards.

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post