SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just an innocent question: How many of you own a cannon?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just an innocent question: How many of you own a cannon? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Yes, I do have one in the attic, but it doesn’t shoot steel or lead shot.

It fires potatoes. It has a five foot barrel, and the “chamber” is 16”x6”. The end cap has a square (hollow) that works as a measurement for propellant. It is built entirely of schedule 80 pipe.

Starting fluid (ether) is the propellant. It is ignited by a Coleman lantern striker.

I have had it since my early 20’s. Back then I thought nothing of Getting a few bags of taters and launching them into Lake Ray Hubbard. The last time I looked at it, when we moved and I stowed it away in the attic, I thought I must be getting old, as the thought of lighting off an ether bomb in my right thigh, terrifies me.

You're never too old. The first time I met my great uncle up in Montana he had to be 75 years old. He had a beautiful house overlooking a private lake that was only accessible to homeowners. We were sitting on his deck admiring the view and he said "Want to have some fun?" He went out to his garage and came back with an 8' Potato Gun. A few of his neighbors didn't seem all that thrilled but he really didn't care what they thought.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I meant getting old, as in getting wiser, or at least losing the feeling of invincibility.

Now I think; how does ether and the flash, affect the structure of the pvc? Does ether cause pvc to breakdown? How does 20+ years affect the ability of the pvc to contain the pressures? What kind of pressure are we building?
It launches an extra large potato well over a hundred yards. With a hot load, you would lose sight of the tater, and only see a splash when it touched down.

So now my concern is going to the hospital with pvc shrapnel in my leg, or other parts of the body, because the cannon failed and I am now seriously injured.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
I know someone with a 7.5cm Pak40 anti-tank gun and a 5.0cm Pak38 anti-tank gun.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a cannon. Several actually.

The “primary” cannon looks something like a WW1 Howitzer. It has a 8” bore and the tube is 8’ long (a bit long for a howitzer). On 24” wheels with tires on the wheels. It also has the slanted plate front to protect the gunners from small arms fire. I would categorize it as “full size”. Guess I should figure out how to post a picture.

As far as firing it, the design (I built it) is as basic as the Civil War smooth bore guns. Tube, closed at one end, open at the other, touch hole at the closed end. While it would shoot a projectile, finding 8” diameter items to send down range has not been pursued. What I do is use oxygen and acetylene. I put a plastic bag over the muzzle and tape it in place. Then, using a welding tip I set the gages and turn on the torch (not lighting it) then put the tip in the touch hole. Counting to 20 gives me a pretty good charge. Pull the torch, light it and sweep the flame across the touch hole - BOOM!

I have considered growing squash to fit the bore. I have some 8” pvc pipe that conveniently has an 8” ID. Putting a young blossom in the tube would grown a 8” diameter squash. It would be something like a cork in the old Pop Guns. Determining the right charge would be the challenge. That and the flight path of a tumbling might be hard to judge. Considering the other extreme, to much of a charge might cause a giant (spectacular?) sneeze.

It is quite loud. In our area we hear a lot of fireworks (and guns) celebrating around the Fourth of July. I’ll set the charge and fire the cannon at such a time. It seems that when I do the other noise stops for a bit, kind of a moment for people to think “What was THAT?”

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unlimbering a cannon would certainly reduce the bravery of these miscreant rioters! Grapeshot, canister or maybe that load with two projectiles with a chain between them should disperse a crowd very quickly.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2884 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my brother has a 1/2 scale Napoleon he and dad rebuilt,

we have this one for sale,
1861 Ord Cannon, modern repro,

gb id#869778457

I have an old line throwing cannon in my garage, and we have 3-4 more in the shop,

+ a couple of the Winchester 10 ga models,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A friend's family has a functional Civil War cannon, used in regional reenactments.

One year as a teen I was the flag bearer in an annual reenactment of a local Battle.

The concussion, even firing blanks, was substantial. They're awesome.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the mini cannon ads popping up in the FB

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're welcome?

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Smile I just think it's hilarious that ads pop up for things that I have read online. I get friend suggestions for people I have email conversations with only, through work.

Fuckers are definitely watching me and swapping info

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A cannon?

I don't need anything like that...yet.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
A cannon?

need?

nothing like the cloud of Smoke, and the sound of a round ball or multiple projectiles ( Wink) going thru the woods,

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Even though it does not count, I have a mini cannon

About 5 years ago the wife and I were vacationing in the keys and came across a very cool 3 inch deck cannon from the early 1800s. the guy was asking about $500 but did not know if it worked. Unfortunately, the wife said absolutely not...

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
A cannon?

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
One has popped up for sale near Tulsa. I can't tell quite how big it is by the pics, it appears to be small but not too small, I think.

Link to Tulsa area cannon

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I put in my will that I want my ashes shot out of a cannon over our hay fields. I wish I could be there when they read it and start looking for one...or should I buy one and keep it on the porch?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Theres a guy who lives on the opposite side of the lake from the town that I work in who owns a cannon. He fires it off a couple of times a year on special occasions. He's pretty reasonable about it...shoots it a loss less frequently than I would if I had a cannon, and never too late at night.

Inevitably when he fires it, some NIMBY lakehouse dweller in my town calls in to complain. The last one claimed it was terrifying his dog, who he claimed had been diagnosed by the doggy-psychologist with PTSD. He was not at all pleased when I explained to him that a.) This is America and it's perfectly leagal to own a cannon, b.) That our town noise ordinance does not take effect until 10:00 and it was currently only 7:00, and c.) The owner of the cannon resides outside of our town limits, and fires it on his own property, so he is not subject to our town ordinances anyway.

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
The closest I came to owning a cannon was the five foot by four inch potato cannon I built out of PVC with a push button igniter. We lived in a house with a large open field behind us. We launched four inch Idaho spuds for well over 100 yards with an amazing flame from the bore from the hairspray.

When we moved to another state, I gave it to a good friend who was a Police Sergeant. He is retired now and still has it twenty-five years later.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LimaCharlie:
The closest I came to owning a cannon was the five foot by four inch potato cannon I built out of PVC with a push button igniter. We lived in a house with a large open field behind us. We launched four inch Idaho spuds for well over 100 yards with an amazing flame from the bore from the hairspray.

When we moved to another state, I gave it to a good friend who was a Police Sergeant. He is retired now and still has it twenty-five years later.

friend and I built a few,

we did learn that using Starter Fluid was just a little too hot, (one split, w/o injury to either of us thankfully)

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
OH yeah. Several toys, actually. The first being a 10 gauge Winchester. Its a blank starter cannon, like for yacht races or whatever. Ever tried getting 10 gauge black powder blanks. Hint: Wally World doesn't carry them, much like 22s. Doesn't matter, I've still got a couple of boxes, and I don't waste them. It speaks with authority.

And then there's my golf ball cannon. Mortor, really. Saw it at a gun show one time. then spent all the money I had along so I couldn't buy it. A few years later oldest son came along and saw it (birdogged) This old boy wasn't missing it twice. Went straight over and bought it. No negotiations, just paid his price. Some things I've learned. Golf balls aren't all the same size. Some fit the bore just right, others are too loose. Powder charges are measured in "cap fulls". I like the smell and the cloud of smoke.

The Napolean 2 kit wasn't worth much until a buddy did me a favor. He bored it to 12 gauge. Allowed me to use poly wads. Even reuse them!Big Grin)

I use FFFg with them. I'm more interested in noise and smoke. Except with the Winchester, I use factory 10ga black powder blanks.

Everyone needs a cannon or two. Just for fun.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post