SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Front load washer advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front load washer advice Login/Join 
posted
time to replace my LG which has not been the greatest unit and service in South Florida sucks

Any suggestions? no special frills, no steam. Just a good washer.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Best front load washer advice I can offer is to not buy a damn front load washer. Wink

Posts: 26896 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I love ours, it's just a 15 year old GE.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7085 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Best front load washer advice I can offer is to not buy a damn front load washer. Wink

I'll second that. We have tried an LG and Whirlpool, and are now back to a top load washer.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll second this. We just got rid of the front loading Kenmore that came with this house and had to completely move/remodel the laundry room (they were stacked before) so we could fit a top loader in. That front loader just never seemed to use enough water to actually get things clean and it didn't have a 'use more (right) amount of water' option.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Maytag "commercial" washer

We got one of these when our Whirlpool shit the bed. OMG it's great, spins so well that the dryer doesn't have to work.

My only complaint, is that the filter is RIDICULOUS to get to.

If you don't know your washer has a filter, guess what.

Other than that, love the Maytag.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
We had a repairman in the other day, repairing our LG refrigerator. We asked him, "what in your opinion is the best clothes washer/dryer?" Without hesitation, he replied, Speed Queen. Might be worth a hard look, as the repairman seemed quite informed.

Dan

Forgot to add. The repairman also said they are making Speed Queens today, the same as they made other appliances 20 years ago. In other words, made to last.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen top loader, brother and sister both bought them and love them.

Front loaders were a big fad around here 10+ years ago but not so much any more. All washers seem to suck now with the water saver crap, kind of like dishwashers.

We just 2 yrs ago bought a set of Maytag Bravos XL, the perty ones with the glass doors. Other than the great looks we hate them. The washer is... well retarded to say the least, if you observe it at work. And it takes forever, so does the dryer. The only setting that remotely seems to actually clean clothes is the "deep water wash" setting.
My first two Matag sets I had lasted a combined total 50 years! But never again, not after the current set. I hate it so bad I'm thinking of trading them in for a new set of Speed Queens, and just taking the huge $$ hit.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Samsung is crap too. I hate it and it is only 6 mos old

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCR:
Samsung is crap too. I hate it and it is only 6 mos old

Agreed

Mine will get replaced with a SQ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's only been a few months but we like our new Speed Queen. Seems to be working well and pretty heavy duty.

Won't know if we really like it for another 10 years or so. But we may know if we hate earlier. But for now, it's been good and no regrets.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

x1000

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best front loader I have and have had since 2010 that has washed well over 1000 loads, is a Whirlpool duet 4.1 cu foot. It has never once had a service call or issue.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed. I bought one for the first time and have had nothing but problems with it. I will never buy one again.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
We have a Bosch washer dryer set at the moment.
Ten years and relatively trouble free.
Replaced the washer door gasket.

Starting to make some vibration on high speed spin which I have tracked down to a loose counterweight.
The problem is the part that the weight is attached to is worn and no amount of tightening will fix it.

A Speed Queen set is on the radar, probably next month.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tub size on the Speed Queen models seem awfully small. (3.2 cubic feet)

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
We have a Bosch washer dryer set at the moment.
Ten years and relatively trouble free.
Replaced the washer door gasket.

Starting to make some vibration on high speed spin which I have tracked down to a loose counterweight.
The problem is the part that the weight is attached to is worn and no amount of tightening will fix it.

A Speed Queen set is on the radar, probably next month.

On our 4th door gasket,pair was bought in 2009. Seems that Bosch left a guide out when they built it. The first serviceman tried to charge us for the gasket, called it owner abuse. That s*** didn't fly with me, trip back to Lowe's and a visit with the department manager got that straightened out. The first guy nor the subsequent three repairmen ever caught the guide missing. The fourth one by luck of the draw, an old friend who worked for A&E was assigned the call. He noticed the missing part right off, been on that gasket since about 2012. Dryer is fine, washer is so-so. I had to take the filter apart about a month ago, there were a bunch of staples in there, no idea where they came from,certainly not us.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concur with you. We're getting a top load as soon as the LG we have now goes toes up.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Some more specifics? We have had ours about ten years and it is great-less water, less soap, a little longer wash cycle on heavy duty, but mostly trouble-free...except for filter clogging occasionally.

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
We replaced a 5 year old set of Whirlpool Duet front loaders with another set of Whirlpool Duets. Biggest mistake I could have made.

The original washer broke down and to replace the part to fix it would cost more than a new washer so we went out and bought a new washer and of course a new dryer since they don't make the same color anymore. The new set crapped out three times under warranty and now that it is out of warranty I'm waiting for it to do it again so I get stuck with a big bill.

I won't get Whirlpool again.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post