SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like for bedside handgun storage?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for bedside handgun storage? Login/Join 
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted
I'll admit that I am quite comfortable just leaving my holstered carry on the nightstand while I'm sleeping, but the sensitivities of the wifely unit are not to be ignored. In looking at available options on Midway and Brownells there are almost too many to comprehend, and determining the right balance of security, accessibility, capacity, and reliability (not to mention cost) is elusive.

I'm thinking these factors are relevant:

• big enough to hold two carry-sized pistols
  • easily and quickly opened even with a discharged battery (I think I'd prefer something with a Simplex lock, but these seem to no longer be available)
  • steel construction rather than polymer
  • secured in place with bolts/screws rather than a cable
  • front opening rather than top opening or slide drawer

Advice? Opinions? Manufacturers to consider/avoid? Random thoughts?

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The two pistol requirement throws off my normal recommendation - FAS1. 3/16" steel, simplex lock, when unlocked it pops open with a perfectly placed holstered pistol.

V-line's Hideaway meets your requirements but your requirement for front opening is adding $60 to $100 compared to their other offerings.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Get the V-line and then after locking it, punch in the code. That way all you need to do is twist the knob to open.

We have several Desk Mates and a Hide-Away from them. I even messed up the security code with the door open once (was changing the code); after emailing them, one of their techs called me back, trouble shot it and then had me remove the lock and send it to him (since we were unable to fix remotely) - he fixed it and sent it back with the code I wanted already set, free of charge - took about a week, including shipping both ways.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Hornady RFID sensor safe with a front opening. Both 110 and battery powered with a key override feature. Also serves as a phone charger. Has a digital clock in its display so it does not look like a safe.
So far, so good.
Distasteful feature: Chinese made.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Gun vault brand micro , will hold two 1911/g17/S&W 19 4” guns inside. Don’t get the bio switch they fail.

Amazon or target online

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only my wife and I so no problem having one on each nightstand.

Posts: 55 | Registered: April 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Random thoughts?
Did I leave the iron on?

https://www.amazon.com/Handgun...rgency/dp/B07SQXDRGY

I got this for Xmas and just got around to installing it. Mounted it to the side of the headboard. Only holds one pistol, I have my P320 compact in its iwb holster in mine. The foam holds onto the holster so in a pinch the gun cones right out on its own, or for carry I just pull the holster and gun out together.

Has an internal battery (4 AA) and external battery you can plug in (also 4 AA) or key backup. So far works good. Secures with 4 wood screws and can mount to either side or the top for under a shelf or similar.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for V-line. I got mine when my kids were younger. They always had friends over and I felt better with my carry guns being locked away yet accessible.
PLP

Posts: 723 | Location: Alabama | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 for v-line. The top opening model sits on my night stand.

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sleep well knowing my pistol is safely tucked under my pillow. No keys no batteries no fumbling.

Posts: 72 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Bought the V-line Brute model. Will update the thread with a mini-review when it arrives in a couple of days.

Thanks everybody!

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top drawer of my nightstand

MDS

Posts: 375 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I use a magnet mount on the side of the nightstand.

quote:
Originally posted by BoatsNbullets:
I sleep well knowing my pistol is safely tucked under my pillow. No keys no batteries no fumbling.

Nothing “safe” about a pistol under the pillow. I would strongly suggest you re-think that idea.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since your not concerned about security or accessibility, I would not over look a gun magnet. I screwed one to the back of the dresser and its holding Glock 22 with a TLR1.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Bought the V-line Brute model. Will update the thread with a mini-review when it arrives in a couple of days.

Thanks everybody!

As promised: a brief review.

Ordered the v-line Brute from the manufacturer. Shipped and arrived expeditiously.

Seems to be a very solid unit, nicely finished, and tightly constructed. The Simplex lock works well, but doesn't seem to support the "half-stroke" key press feature found on the common Simplex door locks, it does support multi-button presses. Easily mounted in horizontal or vertical (e.g. on a wall) position. Less than two seconds to unlock, extract the pistol, and lock it up again.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase.

Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Since it is just my wife, my adult daughter and myself I use the nightstand drawer. I don't want anything else to fumble with if woken up by a bump in the night.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 4 V-lines in 2 homes and they ALWAYS work.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Only my wife and I and are youngest daughter who is 19 and gun trained.

So it is the underwear drawer closes to me.

We are too old to throw in any Hoppes #9 sent jokes. Big Grin Big Grin

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have the GunVault Mini-Vault Standard, and its been great for us. I have it mounted for easy button access

You can get 2 pistols in there, but only 1 will be be "quick grab" the other you'd have to reach in for.
They do have a "Deluxe" model with a divider for 2 easy access spots if you need that.

It's a custom set 4-finger code, and we change the batteries yearly (same time as the batteries in the AR dots).

I got a great deal on it, but wouldn't hesitate to get another at full price if needed.

I like that V-Line you got though, it should do well for you.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Just me and the dogs ,they leave them where I put them in every room and all hot and extra mags there also.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post