SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice on tv with built-in dvd player
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on tv with built-in dvd player Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Our son is asking our advice for one of these. From what I've read it seems that most TV/DVD combinations will not play a Blu-ray DVD but not sure why.

I tend to stay away from combinations. My own advice would be to buy them separately.

Any advice appreciated.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Most blue ray players now also play DVDs. If it only plays DVDs I would avoid it. Our newest smart TV (Samsung 55in curved screen) communicates with our Sony blu ray/DVD player and automatically switches to DVD/blu ray and starts the movie when a disc is inserted into the player. I think you are right, buying them separately is the way to go. DVD/blu Ray players are pretty inexpensive now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
We had a TV/DVD player a few years ago. Most people have told me the DVD player would go bad first then you would have to buy a DVD player. In our case the TV want bad first. From that point forward we only buy non combo TVs.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Two rapidly evolving technologies - discs (DVD->BD->3D->4K Ultra->?) and TV screen resolutions and technologies will go obsolete even faster when you lock into both at the same time.

With separates, you can keep the one that's still good and upgrade the obsolete one, but with a combo--you throw out the baby with the bath. As 71 TRUCK points out above, this aspect is also true for unit failure as well as obsolescence.

The other aspect is that discs may go away over time as boxes connect to networks for their source materials and internet speeds support high quality streaming.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
How big is the screen, cost, why one with a built-in at all?
Optical media is becoming obsolete so why get it?
Get one with a built in VHS instead. Razz

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
He must be looking at a old, second-hand tv?

I wouldn't do it unless it was super cheap and I was on a really tight budget. My DVD collection has been collecting dust for almost 2 years now, as I use streaming and OTA for 99.9 of my TV viewing. When I do want to play a DVD, I have on old PS3 I can use for that. My point being, it seems like there probably better options, unless it's all that's in his budget.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post