SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mendocino recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mendocino recommendations? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Wife wants to go. I’ve never been. We usually go places to hike, bike or kayak. But open to other suggestions.

If you had 1-2 days, what would you do? Doesn’t have to be hike, bike, kayak.

And should we bring bikes, kayaks or just rent if we want to bike or kayak?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Having had a vacation home at Sea Ranch, an hour south of Mendocino, we've been there many times. Look in to local state parks such as MacKerricher State Park.

There are more opportunities for hiking than for biking and kayaking. There are plenty of local opportunities for renting both bikes and kayaks, I would recommend not bringing either for a short stay such as you have planned.

Don't forget the Skunk Train between Fort Bragg (just north of Mendocino) and Willits, a great attraction taking you through beautiful redwood forests.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Having had a vacation home at Sea Ranch, an hour south of Mendocino, we've been there many times. Look in to local state parks such as MacKerricher State Park.

There are more opportunities for hiking than for biking and kayaking. There are plenty of local opportunities for renting both bikes and kayaks, I would recommend not bringing either for a short stay such as you have planned.

Don't forget the Skunk Train between Fort Bragg (just north of Mendocino) and Willits, a great attraction taking you through beautiful redwood forests.

One of the loneliest stretches of coastal highway and ...odd collection of wealth.
Skunk Train no longer goes between Willits and Fort Bragg due to a cave-in in one of the tunnels. The trains run but, they're one way trips. I believe Fort Bragg has the train museum, and all the sheds and yards for the railway. Whereas Willits was pretty limited.

To the OP:
Yup, there's a bunch of hiking along the various coastal areas but mainly it's aimlessly wandering around the town of Mendocino. Cabrillo Point Lighthouse is an interesting classic isolated lighthouse, Headlands State Park is right there next to town. The small towns around the area, Albion, Gualala, Elk, are an interesting mix of: tourism, ranching, artist colony and retirement communities all butted up against an unforgiving Pacific coast that at times, is quite beautiful. Fort Bragg is the big nearby work-a-day town that used to have a massive lumber mill, below the Noyo River bridge (can't miss it) is the wharf for the town's small fishing fleet. There's a handful of restaurants there and one of them (can't remember the name) makes a tremendous Italian seafood stew, Chioppino. Probably the best I've had outside of San Francisco, maybe it tasted great because ever time I've visited it's cold, windy and wet.

here's a simple vlog. Skip her recommendation restaurant in Fort Bragg. Wink

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll look up your suggestions....

Not really sure why we're going there so looking for what to do, where to stay. Not sure how the idea to go there got planted in her ear. If there is seafood, though, I'm game.

Please find the name of the cioppino place. I love cioppino and make it home often. Always like to try good ones.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
There is a "Pygmy Forest" hike in one of the nearby state parks. You can join a naturalist-led tour which is quite interesting. In fact, I highly recommend such ranger- or naturalist-led hikes in all the local parks.
Attractions are basically: (1) the ocean (2) the redwood forests and (3) eating and shopping.

Status of the Skunk Train from Wikipedia:

quote:
Between April 11 and June 19, 2013, the railroad was in a crisis following the collapse of Tunnel #1 on April 11. The financially strapped railroad sought donations for $300,000 to hire an outside company to remove the blockage. Had the funding not been raised, the cash-starved railroad would have shut down. On June 19, a Redwood tree conservation group announced they would buy all of the Redwood trees along the 40-mile right-of-way, and would pay the railroad well more than their goal for the trees. The railroad resumed full service in August. Tunnel #1 was once again closed in 2016 after sustaining damage from the 2015-16 El Nino, but the railway was in a better position, having equipment at the Willits end of the line (which was not the case during the 2013 crisis) to allow the running of trains to Northspur; trains from the Fort Bragg end are limited to running on a seven-mile trip officially called the "Pudding Creek Express"; no announcements regarding the status of Tunnel #1 have been made recently, though they are fully committed to its reopening.

BTW if you are in the market for any optics (binoculars, spotting scope etc.) a local shop in Mendocino called Out of This World has a great selection at excellent prices, and you have the opportunity to check them out in person.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Please find the name of the cioppino place. I love cioppino and make it home often. Always like to try good ones.

Silver's at the Wharf

Any idea what route you're planning on driving? If you take hwy-128, you'll go through the Anderson Valley and the towns of Philo and Booneville are interesting...along with all the wine that's produced there. I think the latest Food & Wine has an article about visiting that area.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Awesome!! Thanks!

Not sure which route. Still figuring out itinerary, lodging, duration and such. Not sure if we’ll spend all the time there or hop around a few places.