SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
This is one of my favorite Stones tunes, and I always loved the female voice in this song, but never knew the history. Pretty cool backstory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChONufP0FEs

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Never even knew that's what she was saying. Cool story

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Neat! Thanks for posting.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Suffice to say there’s a lot more to the story than that. She had a miscarriage after the all-night recording session, and that’s just part of the story.

When her voice cracks, the second time she sings, “Rape! MUR-der, it sends chills up my spine, just like it did all those years ago.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed that. Thanks for posting.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
The Mick Taylor years were the Stones at their darkest and best. Nobody could touch 'em '69-'72.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zimman20
posted Hide Post
Never knew, thanks for posting! Powerful voice, awesome!

--------------------------------------------------------------
zman

P229 SAS
Sig 1911 STX

Posts: 936 | Location: Stanley, NC | Registered: September 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The greatest rock song IMO.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Makes the hair stand up on your neck! Stunning vocals!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwood4
posted Hide Post
Way cool. Thanks

Posts: 543 | Registered: November 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Merry also did her own version of Gimme Shelter also. That can be found on YouTube.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The song is what I always play on takeoff. Merry Clayton made it! I did like Angelique Kidjo's cover of it.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Amazing.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic back-story to one of the greatest and epic rock'n roll songs ever!!

Click the 'YouTube' link embedded in this mini-biography article about Merry Clayton to hear her belt it out!! WOW!!

Thank you OP!!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I also appreciate being reminded of this song. Wikipedia provides more details about the song and Merry Clayton's contribution : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimme_Shelter

Oh, FishOn, you may already know this, but Mick Taylor had not joined the band yet for that recording. But per previous discussions, Mick Taylor displayed his talents well on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking".

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Brings back a lot of memories.
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
The Mick Taylor years were the Stones at their darkest and best. Nobody could touch 'em '69-'72.

No one has ever touched them. They are undoubtedly the world's greatest rock n roll band.

Posts: 124 | Registered: December 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Documentary on some backup singers, Merry Clayton included:

20 Feet from Stardom

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_Feet_from_Stardom

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What would soncorn do?
Picture of soncorn
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy this.

I am also a huge fan of The Battle of Evermore by Led Zeppelin.

Sandy Denny's vocals are amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_Evermore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88b0OYxdtyM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Posts: 1387 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post