SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    North Korea missile test info from CNN
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Korea missile test info from CNN Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted
Just got a email from CNN on the North Korean missile test and DAMN they got that thing up pretty high "well over" 1,550 miles. Eek

North Korea has announced that it has successfully tested an intercontinental ballistic missile on the orders of the country's leader, Kim Jong Un, according to state media.

Tuesday morning's missile test exceeded an altitude of "well over" 1,550 miles, according to the Japanese Ministry of Defense.

The missile flew into waters east of the Korean Peninsula and may have landed in Japan's Exclusive Economic Zone, which extends 200 nautical miles from its coastline, said Takahiro Hirano, public affairs officer from Japan's Ministry of Defense

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Tick, rock, tick, tock. The fat kid seems determined do destroy his country by poking us in the eye. This can't go on indefinitely.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Tick, rock, tick, tock. The fat kid seems determined do destroy his country by poking us in the eye. This can't go on indefinitely.

He does need to be stopped, by any means necessary.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

He does need to be stopped, by any means necessary.

I don't think anyone has the nads for any means necessary. But, a few moabs might get the job done. Or more. How many moabs do we have anyway ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8660 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
18 months after obama gave iran $1.7 billion dollars in cash irans technology partner north korea makes great strides in its ballistic missile and nuclear programs.

quote:
$1.7-billion payment to Iran was all in cash due to effectiveness of sanctions, White House says

http://www.latimes.com/nation/...0907-snap-story.html

One of these days one of these missile shots will continue on to it's target if nothing is done.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Maybe they use different miles lol

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Lop of the head(Kim), the rest will die-off.
I see a hit squad in his future

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4573 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
... and I think the only something left is a military option,

I think the only reason Lil' Kim is continuing on this course is because he knows that China (and to a lesser extent, Russia) has his back.

We need to drop the hammer on them economically and get them in line. If that doesn't work, then the fat kid needs to wake up dead some morning in the near future.

I read once that in the event of a war on the Korean peninsula, our 30,000 troops there would all be dead inside 30 minutes. Don't know how true that is, but it would no doubt be horrific in terms of loss of life. We don't want that. If it has to be then it has to be, but everything else under the sun should be done first.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Ballistic missile trajectories are something I know very little about, but 1500 miles in altitude seems high. The ISS is only about 250 miles above the Earth. Perhaps they meant it flew 1500 miles?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were there once and didn't win. I don't belittle their effort in any way dead is dead. If we have die hard patriots they do too.

This is a mess no matter how you look at it. But today it's only a mess in a small localized area- The Korean Peninsula. That area of danger is expanding as we speak.

quote:
1500 miles in altitude seems high.

It was a test so they shot high. I think if you flatten it out, lower angle, less altitude you get more distance. A ballistic launch, angles and math etc.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kim has to go.
By any means necessary.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Managing to get a missile that high is one thing; getting a nuke that will fit in it is another altogether. Unless China or Russia gives them one that can (highly unlikely) it's my understanding that the Nork devices are way too big to fit.

Regardless, the THAAD can be configured to hit missiles in the launch phaze, not just during the terminal phase.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Rule of 1/2

Basically with a height of 1550 miles, that would equal 3,100 mile range. China's patience will only go so far...

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
When launches like this are carried out, are there any missile fragments worth recovering? The Sea of Japan does get pretty deep.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They can already easily hit Russia and China. I think all countries should test their ICBM's on N. Korea at the same time

Posts: 1402 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
They can already easily hit Russia and China.

I think this is definitely a plus. I don't think China or Russia can trust lil kim as far as they can throw him.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19647 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
We need to send in Seth Rogen and James Franco.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They still need a weapon small enough to mount on one and the ability to survive re-entry and some ability for accurate guidance.
Putting one on a submarine and sending that close enough to fire off would probably be a lot easier.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kimmy has tested about 10 missiles since Trumps inauguration. Either we should stop with our own threatening rhetoric every time he tests or do something that spanks him the next time he launches. I don't have much hope that anything the UN does or further economic or political measures will produce any preventative results.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are these missiles most likely Chinese or Russian? It does seem that this is likely China pulling the strings here. To what end, though?

Posts: 2362 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post