SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Laser Pointers Bad for Dogs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laser Pointers Bad for Dogs Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
While sitting home bored, one of my sons had started playing with our one year old Rhodesian Ridgeback using a laser pointer. She has always had high prey drive, but has begun to show obsessive behaviors and increased aggression. Obsessively looking for the dot, pouncing on shadows and reflections, hand biting during play.

I looked it up on line. It's a known problem with dogs. Some recover, some apparently don't. Some trainers actually claim it causes a form of psychosis. Why doesn't it have the same effect on cats? Maybe it does, but who could tell? Cats are already psychotic.

quote:
Laser Pointers: More Frustration Than Fun
American Kennel Club
https://www.akc.org/expert-adv...rustration-than-fun/

Ever seen someone use a laser pointer to play with their dog? Many owners think it’s funny to watch their dog chase that little red dot of light, and they think it’s a bonus to burn off some of their dog’s energy.

Unfortunately, a game of laser pointer chase can be very frustrating for a dog and can lead to behavioral problems.

The movement of a laser pointer triggers a dog’s prey drive, which means they want to chase it. It’s an unending game with no closure for the dog since they can’t ever catch that beam of light, like they can when chasing a toy or food.

Many dogs continue looking for the light beam after the laser pointer has been put away; this is confusing for your dog because the prey has simply disappeared. This can create obsessive compulsive behaviors like frantically looking around for the light, staring at the last location they saw the light, and becoming reactive to flashes of light (such as your watch face catching the sunlight and reflecting on the wall, or the glare of your tablet screen on the floor). Dogs that exhibit behavioral issues are frustrated, confused, and anxious.

If your dog loves to chase but you don’t always have the energy to run around with a toy, try a flirt pole. A flirt pole is like a fishing rod; it is comprised of a rigid stick section with a string or rope attached to the end. Commercially made flirt poles are sold by pet supply stores, but horse lunge whips also work well.

You can tie a toy to the end of the rope and drag it around for your dog to chase and tug with once he’s caught it. The advantage of the rigid section is that you can fling the toy around without having to move much yourself. You can even sit in your recliner!

If your dog loves to chase a toy on a flirt pole, then give your dog the ultimate chance to exercise their prey drive at an AKC Coursing Ability Test (CAT)!

This sport involves dogs chasing a “lure” – usually a white trash bag – attached to line set up around a field and controlled by a pulley system that moves the bag around the field. Dogs give chase and have a great time.

quote:
Laser Pointer Syndrome in Dogs
by Dog Psychology 101
https://dogpsychology101.com/l...inter-syndrome-dogs/

Laser pointers may initially seem like a great way to exercise your dog. Unfortunately, they can cause serious problems for their future. We’ve all seen the videos of dogs (and cats) chasing that elusive red dot. You may have even done it with your pup. While we’re providing a few minutes of entertainment, they meet with an enormous amount of frustration. They can never be successful.

Why are laser pointers unhealthy?

After playing like this, dogs can easily become obsessed over lights, reflections, and even shadows. This type of OCD behavior is based on their frustration. It also seems to change the neurology of the brain. Dogs become obsessed over reflections. They may chase everything from your watch on the wall or light shining through glass doors. They are constantly on the lookout for anything that is similarly reflective.

The constant watchfulness becomes a neurotic and obsessive behavior, and a very unhappy way of being. I have also found that it is difficult, if not impossible, to reverse. Something gets switched on in the brain and becomes perpetual.

High-energy dogs and dogs with high prey drive are more susceptible to this condition. However, it can happen in all dogs. I once performed a home consultation with five dogs in the household. The family had been using a laser pointer as an outlet for perceived exercise for the entire pack. Four of the five dogs were suffering from the syndrome.

Laser Pointer Alternatives

Instead of relying on artificial stimulation by using a toy made for humans as an outlet for exercise, try walking, running, and hiking to both mentally and physically exercise your dog. You might enjoy it too. High-energy dogs will especially benefit from the great outdoors and the natural stimulation and relaxation that comes with it.

While there has not been an official or medical study done on this type of syndrome in dogs, I have years of experience telling me that there is almost always an adverse effect after prolonged use of the laser pointer. If you’re curious to hear other perspectives, Google “laser pointer syndrome in dogs” and read through many of the other observations and opinions of other professionals.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Cats are already mental so there’s no noticeable change.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
When I used the laser with the dogs I had them find a treat as the last thing we did.

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My Brittany will just point at it then glance over his shoulder at me with the "hey stupid, it's right there, you gonna get it or what? "

I got bored after 10 minutes. Never was able to get that light.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We still use one but can only do it outside. Tried it inside years ago and our dog kept looking for it constantly. She loves it outside, but also likes her ball, the frisby, etc.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'd rather an animal play with something it can catch.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see how this might happen for a dog.
Current cat toys:
Cardboard box.
My feet under the sheets.
Plastic ring from a milk jug.
Wire ties from bread wrappers.
Ping pong balls.
Bugs of any kind.
Any item that can be batted off an elevated surface.
Beverage coasters.
Any dropped ice cube on the kitchen floor.
With the exception of the the ping pong balls, all of the above are free.
No need for lasers.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
While there has not been an official or medical study done on this type of syndrome in dogs, I have years of experience telling me that there is almost always an adverse effect after prolonged use of the laser pointer. If you’re curious to hear other perspectives, Google “laser pointer syndrome in dogs” and read through many of the other observations and opinions of other professionals.

^^^^
I think in this case, anecdotal information would suffice. I am surprised that experimental psychologists have not done a formal study of this behavior.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My doggo now thinks that anything that remotely resembles a pointer, like a pen, is a pointer and starts to flip out whenever she sees something cylindrical and palm sized.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I used it once and then realized it wasn't a good thing so never used it again!!

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I'd rather an animal play with something it can catch.

Neighbor kids! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Laser Pointers Bad for Dogs

I would go with a good solid dog toy. Not sure chewing on a laser point it good for there teeth.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
Had a Chesapeake who used to love chasing the reflected sunlight from my watch when I'd sit in the breakfast nook on the afternoon. God, she was smart...she knew what it was, knew it was just an illusion that could also be replicated by a CD...and she'd "Roo-Roo!" @ at me until I'd given in and play her favorite game for a few minutes.

I miss her...

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I belong to a few different dog groups on Facebook and have taken a lot of shit whenever someone posts a video of their dog freaking out chasing laser pointers and I try to give them a heads-up about the obsessive behavior that can happen. So I simply stopped letting people know about it.

It’s a very real thing. I didn’t know about it with my two boxers, Gracie & Roscoe, whom I have lost both over the last two years. When they were younger I thought it was funny how they would chase after the laser pointer, until someone pointed it out to me how it can be harmful and create unwanted behavior. So I stopped using the laser pointer, but the damage was already done. Both dogs would flip out at any sort of reflection on the wall or ceiling, for the rest of their lives. I had to be really careful about my watch reflection, especially in the car because they would instantly try to get at it no matter where it was at.

With our current dogs I won’t ever introduce them to it. I learned my lesson.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
When I used the laser with the dogs I had them find a treat as the last thing we did.
Yes, you have to have the 'win' at the end and tell them it's 'all done'.

Even so, we only do it a handful of times when it's rainy and they can't run outside.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
I belong to a few different dog groups on Facebook and have taken a lot of shit whenever someone posts a video of their dog freaking out chasing laser pointers and I try to give them a heads-up about the obsessive behavior that can happen. So I simply stopped letting people know about it.

It’s a very real thing. I didn’t know about it with my two boxers, Gracie & Roscoe, whom I have lost both over the last two years. When they were younger I thought it was funny how they would chase after the laser pointer, until someone pointed it out to me how it can be harmful and create unwanted behavior. So I stopped using the laser pointer, but the damage was already done. Both dogs would flip out at any sort of reflection on the wall or ceiling, for the rest of their lives. I had to be really careful about my watch reflection, especially in the car because they would instantly try to get at it no matter where it was at.

With our current dogs I won’t ever introduce them to it. I learned my lesson.

Thank you for posting sound advice against doing this, and sorry you learned the hard way.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post