SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice on basic washer and dryer wanted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on basic washer and dryer wanted Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Our washing machine and dryer both took a dump at the same time. So time for new ones. Looking for something basic, nothing that looks like a lunar module with more buttons than a nuclear reactor.

Just want a top load washer, front load dryer. Only thing the wife wants is a buzzer for end of cycle.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does basic mean cheap, or less electronics?
If the latter -- speed queen seems to be the choice. Look for old stock. Not stackable and very basic, but made by an industrial laundry company.

SQTR3 or TR5 seems to fit what you are looking for.

If looking for cheap, can't help.

-K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I just bought 3.5 CU. FT. COMMERCIAL-GRADE RESIDENTIAL AGITATOR WASHER. I freaking love it. Full tub of water!!!! It's quiet, yet sounds like I remember a washer sounding. It can wash a light load in a tad over an half an hour. Presoak plus extra rinse on full load is still under an hour by far. Three knobs and start button. No digital display, just a simple green light to tell you it's done. You can open the lid at anytime except when it's spinning, in fact, I do it sometimes just to admire the full tub of water. Gets clothes cleaner and they smell better. No 80 oz detergent dispenser to get filled with mold, especially important to me as the wife likes scent/dye free stuff and I use Gain. It has a freaking agitator!

Oh, did I mention the full tub of water part? It's awesome. Water and soap are what is required to wash things, these stupid HE machines have robbed us of 50% of the requirements for washing stuff.

Cons:

Can't wash a California King comforter in it, maybe a lighter regular King.

Twice I've gotten things stuck and had to unload and restart on the rinse/spin cycle. Once a heavy queen sized comforter and second when I shoved too many towels in it.

PS it uses a full tub of water.

PPS it has five year parts and labor warranty.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You need a pre-2018 Speed Queen with analog controls. If you cannot find an older SQ, then the commercial Maytag gets the nod, although it has a smaller tub. But it still has the active agitator.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Ours are old, been looking at reviews. The newer Speed Queens don’t seem to review well.

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/

Since we don’t need anything now, just casually looking at options.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent service with the basic model of Maytag washer and dryer. I do all of my own laundry and I am a basic kind of guy!!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Ours are old, been looking at reviews. The newer Speed Queens don’t seem to review well.

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/

Since we don’t need anything now, just casually looking at options.

And this is precisely why my wife and I searched all over DFW to find 2017 models when we moved in January. We got the manual knob front washer and the electronic pad dryer. We could have bought a 2018 dryer, but we did not want to take a chance.
Needless to say, awesome machines.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I got the cheapest Maytag washer and dryer from Lowe’s and bought an extended warranty. Lowe’s gives 5% off to Vets too. My digital LG washer and dryer with all the fancy electronics lasted five years and bit the dust, the washer had been rusting for the last 2 year. My Maytag has the old dial like the one when I was a kid.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have the older model Speed Queen bought last year and it was about $2000 including tax with matching dryer. It is pretty noisy and it doesn't spin the clothes very dry but it does get them clean. It is aggressive and the dryer runs a long time to get the clothes dry which is going to cause additional wear and fuel consumtion. If it lasts a long time without repair it may turn out to be a reasonable deal. If it gives any problems then they are pretty expensive for what they are. There is no audible tone on either when the cycle is done.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought the Maytag Bravos washer and dryer on the advice of Appliance Brad a few years ago and we have been happy.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
We bought the Maytag Bravos washer and dryer on the advice of Appliance Brad a few years ago and we have been happy.

Me too, bought mine in Dec 2013 and have run 20 loads a month through them, no issues whatsoever and they're a hell of a lot bigger capacity than the speed queens (4.8 cu ft washer).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post