SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The weekend lunch you would gladly drive 16 miles (one way) to enjoy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The weekend lunch you would gladly drive 16 miles (one way) to enjoy Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As luck would have it, Tejas Chocolate+Barbecue is 16 miles from my house and it's one of the Top 10 bbq joints in Texas. I've driven there for lunch. I don't do it often as I have to drive past another Top 10 bbq joint that is much closer.

When I lived in Calgary, the only Chick-fil-A in the entire country of Canada was outside of security at Calgary International Airport. It was 24 kilometers, and they had free parking for 30 minutes or less ($17 Canadabucks if it took 31 minutes). Looks like they changed it to $3.75 Canadabucks for 30 minutes and second 30 minutes for $4.75 Canadabucks.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Farthest I've gone on a whim is about 60 miles in each direction.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

You guys are making me wish there was some better options around me. We got chain stores or "Amish style" food as pretty much the only options. There's supposedly a decent Italian place about 45 miles away, but I've never been. Went on a school trip in Jr high to the east coast. Got to eat in a real deli and everything local has been judged poorly ever since.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfe 21,

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Laguna Burger! The best green chile cheese burger on earth in the pueblo of Laguna.

http://thelagunaburger.com/menus-and-locations/

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Rocco's cafeteria Ft Hammilton Pkwy and 65th St, Brooklyn.
THE BEST fried Calamari you will EVER eat!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
We would fly the plane to Santa Barbara, walk from the airport down to the beach for a swim, shower off and dress, then hit the Beachside Cafe for calimari sandwiches and ice tea, walk back up to the airport and fly back to San Diego.

I would do that every chance I got.

I have a friend who has a pilots license and he would fly from San Jose to Harris ranch out on I5 for lunch or dinner.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If it were only 16 miles one way I'd gladly drive at least once a week to Huck's Seafood restaurant in Denison, Texas. Their catfish is to die for! I rate all other catfish places against Huck's. Unfortunately, it's about 60 miles one way and so I normally only go there when I've gone up to Denison to visit my Best Friend.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bendy,
The next time you think about going to the Ultra Liberal and Antifa bastion of the Midwest (Iowa City) make a left on 380(27) and head for Kalona. Downtown is Tuscan Moon. Great food for lunch or dinner. Closed on Monday, Tuesday and Sunday. Tell Warren that Dave and Coleen from CR recommended them.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I got one even better for you. Earlier this week, the wife and I decided to drive 20 miles to our favorite Vietnamese AYCE buffet (Kim Son) that we haven't been to for a couple of years. Got there, got out of the car, was walking toward the restaurant, when I felt my buttock and realized I had left the wallet home. And, wifey had nothing with her, either. Roll Eyes

So, we drove back home, got the money, and drove back, and had a great evening. So, it was 80 miles for dinner. Smile

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
One of the family's favorite places to eat for great home cooking is the Village Tavern and Grill in Carol Stream, IL. It's about 23 miles both ways from Oak Park, IL.

Since Oak Park is so anti gun, I take every opportunity to spend my bucks elsewhere and the Tavern respects my right to conceal carry.

Awesome chicken fingers, Country Fried Chicken and meatloaf!

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I do it EVERY Sunday. I drive 18 miles to pick up lunch from Zoe’s Kitchen, drive an additional 6 miles to my Mom’s house, and we enjoy a Sunday lunch together. I cherish the time I get to spend with my Mom.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bettys nephew, will do
looked at the menu , looks good

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
White Castle ........ nuff said. When I lived in the Bronx, I could throw a rock and hit one. We have ONE in PA. 40 miles one way. We take the ride once in a while. Would also take the looooong to New York for real bagels. Philly is also 40 to 50 for a cheesteak.

Posts: 2876 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elmer’s Restaurant in Liberty City. Best steaks in the area. If you can’t wait on the steaks, the southern cooking buffet will leave you stuffed.
Thirty minutes one way from Auburn depending on traffic.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
City BBQ

Der Dutchman

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Then there’s Elvis, and the “Fool’s Gold” sandwich:

“On the night of February 1, 1976, Elvis Presley took his private jet from Graceland to Denver and back in one night because he was craving an 8,000 calorie sandwich made from a hollowed out loaf filled with an entire jar of peanut butter, one jar of jelly, and a pound of bacon. Not your average snack, priced at $50, this is the story of how the Fool’s Gold Loaf became the Elvis Presley of sandwiches, King of the PB&Js…”

http://www.messynessychic.com/...-on-his-private-jet/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I drive 18 miles to buy beer brewed in Louisiana, at the only place I can find it up here in Wisconsin.

Today, I drove 37 miles to have lunch with a woman I met online, and that was about the halfway point for both of us. The food sucked. The meet was awesome.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Weekend?

There is a little hotdog place, called The Red Caboose, that is only open for lunch, Monday-Friday. It is kind of out in the middle of nowhere, but is standing room only, and there is always a long line.

After 19yrs, I took my family there one day, last summer. It was worth the trip.

One of the reasons we went is we heard they were downsizing their menu, and possibly closing. The owners want to retire.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wild heart ,
here is a place in my home town that is known by beer drinkers in all 50 states.

They might have what you need as well, if not , I am sure they will offer to obtain it for you .

perhaps they can make you a bulk price, if you bring the pick up or mini van.

https://wwwtest.johnsgrocery.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Bjh9OEByM

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
32 miles round trip? I drive further to that for work.

I'd go that far for any new or halfway decent restaurant.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post