SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The weekend lunch you would gladly drive 16 miles (one way) to enjoy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The weekend lunch you would gladly drive 16 miles (one way) to enjoy Login/Join 
posted
Is there a restaurant that you would be happy to drive to , not give it a second thought.

Just hop in the car at the drop of a hat ,
because the lunch time eating experience is just that good?

32 miles round trip

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
The Brisket House in Deer Park Texas. They have the best fast food BBQ I’ve found. The Monument Inn has a great blackened redfish plate and topped with their Monumental Sauce it’s outstanding.

Posts: 4105 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
El Tepeyac Cafe in East LA. The best chili rellenos and burritos in SoCal, hands down. We've jumped in the plane, flown 810nm and *then* driven 30 minutes for a Mexy dinner - it's too far away for lunch Big Grin

http://eltepeyaccafe.com/

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tough to place a mileage limit on a weekend lunch, I'd go way further than that!

"Cultured Caveman" is 25mi from me, awesome tasting food that is all "paleo".

ABV Public house is only 10-ish, great gastro-pub food with something like 40 beers on tap.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Hell yea, me and the Mrs. traveled about 45 minutes each way last week, and waited an hour plus for one of the best rib places in LI.

http://www.smokinals.com/

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol. I live 16 miles from the closest connivence store let alone a restaurant Big Grin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Jets pizza about 20 mile round trip

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
We would fly the plane to Santa Barbara, walk from the airport down to the beach for a swim, shower off and dress, then hit the Beachside Cafe for calimari sandwiches and ice tea, walk back up to the airport and fly back to San Diego.

I would do that every chance I got.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Bender, last night Wifey and I drove from Indianapolis up to Chicago just to eat pizza... 16 miles? pshaw.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Lol! Seems like everything in Houston metro is at least that far!

We do go to a BBQ place in Brenham which is about 50 miles each way on occasion for beef ribs.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
The farthest I've ever traveled specifically for a meal is 289 miles one way to Bon Temps Creole Cafe in San Luis Obispo CA for their New Orleans Cajun breakfast. Man, that sounds pretty good right now - poached eggs and hollandaise with fried green tomatoes and grits all in a skillet of Creole red beans and biscuit... Big Grin

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the BIG city, travel is measured not by miles but how long it takes to get there. I guess where you live it also depends upon how many tractors are on the road.

Sixteen miles where I live is about fifteen minutes.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
per jallen
quote:
we would fly the plane to Santa Barbara, walk from the airport down to the beach for a swim, shower off and dress

if that was goleta beach, how many shoes did you ruin from the tar on the beach ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro KY. I would gladly drive for an hour to eat there again. A plane load of people arrived in a King Air just to eat, while I was there.
No name for it, but there were two ladies who ran a lunch counter at the Macon GA airport. Home style southern cooking. They loaded up a tray for me, best fried chicken I have ever had, vegetables, peach cobbler, and about a gallon of tea. They gave me change from a ten dollar bill. I actually had doubts about being able to take off again, I figured that I was way over maximum gross weight. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for laughs. Note the pleasant greeting.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Back when I had a route through North Carolina, I'd drive as much as an hour out of my way to hit Parker's BBQ in Wilson. Loved that place.
No idea if they're still as good, haven't been there in years... and according to their website it looks like all the prices have doubled since I was last there, used to get stuffed for five bucks.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Heck, I have driven 23 miles to eat at the DQ in a neighboring burg, because it doesn’t suck as bad as the flyspeck encrusted one in Jerkwater.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
per jallen
quote:
we would fly the plane to Santa Barbara, walk from the airport down to the beach for a swim, shower off and dress

if that was goleta beach, how many shoes did you ruin from the tar on the beach ?

It was Goleta Beach, but back then, in the ‘90’s until maybe 10 years ago when I had lost my medical, I do not recall any tar on the beach or elsewhere there. It was awfully pleasant.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would cheerfully drive my lovely wife to Gurnee, Illinois to The Rustic Manor three hundred miles one way. It was a wonderful place to eat with great food and terrific atmosphere. It had a water wheel about 9 feet in diameter just inside the front entrance. Unfortunately it burned down many years ago but I wish I could have shared the dining experience with her. I don't know why it was never rebuilt.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
When our city got it's first Chik-fil-A I drove 16.9miles several times. I'm not sure if this counts because half the time I was on my motorcycle looking for a reason to visit the other side of town.

There's one much closer now.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post